This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Simulation of a Standalone Rotating Treaded Tire
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamics of a rotating tire can contribute up to a third of the overall aerodynamic force on the vehicle. The flow around a rotating tire is very complex and is often affected by smallest tire features. Accurate prediction of vehicle aerodynamics therefore requires modeling of tire rotation including all geometry details. Increased simulation accuracy is motivated by the needs emanating from stricter new regulations. For example, the upcoming Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedures (WLTP) will place more emphasis on vehicle performance at higher speeds. The reason for this is to bring the certified vehicle characteristics closer to the real-world performance. In addition, WLTP will require reporting of CO2 emissions for all vehicle derivatives, including all possible wheel and tire variants. Since the number of possible derivatives can run into the hundreds for most models, their evaluation in wind tunnels might not be practically possible. Therefore, simulations are very appealing alternative especially since their use is allowed by WLTP.
As a first step in order to meet these escalating demands, the current study uses a Lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) based computational fluid dynamics (CFD) solver using an immersed boundary method (IBM) based approach to simulate and validate a standalone rotating treaded tire. Preliminary wake plane prediction results are in good agreement with experimental wake plane measurements. Effect of tire loading on wake results is also discussed.
CitationLew, C., Gopalaswamy, N., Shock, R., Duncan, B. et al., "Aerodynamic Simulation of a Standalone Rotating Treaded Tire," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1551, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1551.
- Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/wltp.php Nov 2 2016
- Wickern , G. , Zwicker , K. , and Pfadenhauer , M. Rotating Wheels - Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and on Vehicle Drag Results SAE Technical Paper 970133 1997 10.4271/970133
- Peskin , C. S. Flow patterns around heart valves: A digital computer method for solving the equations of motion PhD Thesis Physiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Univ. Microfilms 72 30 378 1972
- Chen , H. , Teixeira , C. and Molvig , K. Digital Physics Approach to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Some Basic Theoretical Features Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C 8 4 675 684 1997
- Chen , H. Volumetric Formulation of the Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Dynamics: Basic Concept Phys. Rev. E 58 3955 3963 1998
- Chen , S. and Doolen , G. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech 30 329 364 1998
- Chen , H. , Kandasamy , S. , Orszag , S. , Shock , R. Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows Science 301 633 636 2003
- Chen , H. , Orszag , S. , Staroselsky , I. and Succi , S. Expanded Analogy between Boltzmann Kinetic Theory of Fluid and Turbulence J. Fluid Mech 519 301 314 2004
- Li , Y. , Shock , R. , Zhang , R. and Chen , H. Numerical Study of Flow Past an Impulsively Started Cylinder by Lattice Boltzmann Method J. Fluid Mech 519 273 300 2004
- Fares , E. Unsteady Flow Simulation of the Ahmed Reference Body using a Lattice Boltzmann Approach Comput. Fluids 35 8–9 940 950 2006
- Duncan , B. , Sengupta , R. , Mallick , S. , Shock , R. Numerical Simulation and Spectral Analysis of Pressure Fluctuations in Vehicle Aerodynamic Noise Generation SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0597 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0597
- Vaillant , O. and Maillard , V. Numerical Simulation of Wall Pressure Fluctuation on a Simplified Vehicle Shape AIAA Paper 2003-3271 2003
- Senthooran , S. , Crouse , B. , Balasubramanian , G. Prediction of Wall Pressure Fluctuations on an Automobile Side-glass using a Lattice-Boltzmann Method AIAA Paper 2006-2559 2006
- Schnepf , B. , Schütz , T. , and Indinger , T. Investigations on the Flow Around Wheels Using Different Road Simulation Tools FKFS Paper 2013
- Jeong , J. and Hussain , F. On the Identification of a Vortex J. Fluid Mechanics 285 69 94 1995
- Schnepf , B. Untersuchung von Einflussfaktoren auf die Umströmung eines Pkw-Rades in Simulation und Experiment PhD Thesis Technical University of Munich December 2015