This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Component Test Fixture to Improve SOI Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Studies in the EU and the USA found higher deformation and occupant injuries in frontal crashes when the vehicle was loaded outboard (frontal crashes with a small overlap). Due to that, in 2012 the IIHS began to evaluate the small overlap front crashworthiness in order to solve this problem.A set of small overlap tests were carried out at IDIADA’s (Institute of Applied Automotive Research ) passive safety laboratory and the importance of identifying the forces applied in each structural element involved in small overlap crash were determined. One of the most important structural elements in the small overlap test is the wheel. Its interaction in a small overlap crash can modify the vehicle interaction at the crash, which at the laboratory the interaction is with a barrier. That interaction has a big influence at the vehicle development and design strategy. In order to study and understand in a better way the wheel kinematics and separation strategy, IDIADA developed with Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc, hereafter HATCI a small overlap Trolley test. The design of the Trolley allows studying the wheel, control arms, steering knuckle and its shock-tower interaction during the small overlap test. Behind the wheel is placed a small triaxle load cells wall with deformable honeycomb, in order to simulate the A-pillar. Control arms, steering knuckle and shock-tower could also have triaxle load cells measurement during the impact.This small overlap Trolley test will allow us to have in-depth knowledge of the wheel interaction by having results on the forces that are applied to the wheel’s suspension and to the wheel itself. This small overlap fixture will make easier to improve the performance of vehicle’s structures and dynamic wheel movement at the small overlap testing.
CitationDe La Torre, C., Tangirala, R., Guerrero, M., and Sprick, A., "Component Test Fixture to Improve SOI Results," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1466, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1466.
- Sherwood , Christopher P. , Nolan , Joseph M. and Zuby David S. Characteristics of small overlap crashes Proceedings of the 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2009
- Bean J. D. , Kahane , C. J. , Mynatt , M. , Rudd , R. W. , Rush , C. J. , Wiacek , C. Fatalities in frontal crashes despite seat belts and air bags DOT HS 811 202 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC. 2009
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Small Overlap Frontal Crashworthiness Evaluation Crash Test Protocol USA IIHS May 2014
- Brumbelow , M. L. , Zuby , D. S. Impact and injury patterns in frontal crashes of vehicles with good ratings for frontal crash protection 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Stuttgart, Germany Paper No. 09-0257 2009
- Park , U. , Yoon , J. , Guerrero , M. , Jashwanth , R. , Tangirala , R. , de la Torre , C. , Sprick , A. IIHS Smalloverlap crash mode Wheel Separation Component Test and the improvement in the lower arm FISITA Technical Paper, F2016-AVCE-006