This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rear Override Impact Analysis of Full-Size and Light Duty Pickup Trucks for Crash Reconstruction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The rear override crash behavior of full-size and light duty pickup trucks was examined. A series of ten full-scale, front and rear override impact crash tests were conducted involving four full-size pickup trucks, two light duty pickup trucks, and one sport utility vehicle (SUV). The tests were conducted utilizing a fabricated steel rigid barrier mounted on the front of the Massive Moving Barrier (MMB) test device with full overlap of the test vehicle. Crush ranged from 25.0 to 77.9 inches for impact speeds of 21.7 to 36.0 mph. These override tests on pickups were conducted to provide more basis in an area that is underrepresented in the literature. Each test was documented and measured prior to, and following, the crash test. The stiffness parameters were calculated and presented using constant stiffness, force saturation, and the power law damage models. For the constant stiffness model, the trend line passed through the ten rear impact tests reported and had an X0= 30 inches and K0= 4 lbf/in2. The crash performance data of the rear of the pickups tested was compared to that of the NHTSA’s frontal test data for the same vehicles and were found to be nearly twenty times less. The analyses of these override crash tests provide fundamental stiffness values in an area that is deficient while providing a comparison with other similar full-scale crash tests.
CitationAsay, A., Armstrong, C., Higgins, B., and Steiner, J., "Rear Override Impact Analysis of Full-Size and Light Duty Pickup Trucks for Crash Reconstruction," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1423, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1423.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Campbell , K. Energy Basis for Collision Severity SAE Technical Paper 740565 1974 10.4271/740565
- Strother , C. , Woolley , R. , James , M. , and Warner , C. Crush Energy in Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 860371 1986 10.4271/860371
- Croteau , J. , Werner , S. , Habberstad , J. , and Golliher , J. Determining Closing Speed in Rear Impact Collisions with Offset and Override SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1170 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1170
- Woolley , R. , Asay , A. , Jewkes , D. , and Monson , C. Crash Testing with a Massive Moving Barrier as an Accident Reconstruction Tool SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0604 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0604
- Woolley , R. Non-Linear Damage Analysis in Accident Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0504 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0504
- Marine , M. , Wirth , J. , and Thomas , T. Crush Energy Considerations in Override/Underride Impacts SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0556 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0556
- Kerkhoff , J. , Husher , S. , Varat , M. , Busenga , A. et al. An Investigation into Vehicle Frontal Impact Stiffness, BEV and Repeated Testing for Reconstruction SAE Technical Paper 930899 1993 10.4271/930899
- CRASH3 Technical Manual USDOT (US Dept. of Transportation, NHTSA, NCSAC (National Center for Statistics and Analysis), AID (Accident Investigations Division) 1986
- CRASH3 User’s Guide and Technical Manual Publication DOT-HS-90-805732 1981
- Prasad , A. CRASH3 Damage Algorithm Reformulation for Front and Rear Collisions SAE Technical Paper 900098 1990 10.4271/900098
- Strother , C. , Woolley , R. , and James , M. A Comparison Between NHTSA Crash Test Data and CRASH3 Frontal Stiffness Coefficients SAE Technical Paper 900101 1990 10.4271/900101
- Daily 2006 Crush Analysis with Under-rides and the Coefficient of Restitution Daily , D. , Strickland , R. Institute of Police Technology and Management 24th Annual Special Problems in Traffic Crash Reconstruction 27 April 2006