Senior Drivers, Bicyclists and Pedestrian Behavior Related with Traffic Accidents and Injuries
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1397
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
While accident data show a decreasing number of fatalities and serious injuries on European Union (EU) roads, recent data from ERSO (European Road Safety Observatory) show an increasing proportion of elderly in the fatality statistics. Due to the continuous increase of life expectancy in Europe and other highly-developed countries, the elderly make up a higher number of drivers and other road users such as bicyclists and pedestrians whose mobility needs and habits have been changing over recent years. Moreover, due to their greater vulnerability, the elderly are more likely to be seriously injured in any given accident than younger people. With the goal of improving the safety mobility of the elderly, the SENIORS Project, funded by the European Commission, is investigating and assessing the injury reduction that can be achieved through innovative tools and safety systems. The first step was to develop the required understanding of accident scenarios, injury mechanisms and risks and to implement these findings in the test tool and test assessment procedures. To this end, accident databases were studied and compared regarding the more critical accident scenarios involving the elderly and their injuries as well as their behavior and the transport modes that represent higher risk. This paper presents a novel statistical study of the accident database in Spain and provides an overview of the main accident situations involving elderly drivers, bicyclists or pedestrians as well as the most typical causes of injury and its severity. Moreover, the in-depth analysis of scenarios, actions and law violations carried out makes it possible to identify the travelling behavior of the elderly. Differences between ages and gender were also identified. The conclusions match with general beliefs and with literature information. Finally a general comparison with results from other countries was done.
CitationFornells, A., Parera, N., Ferrer, A., and Fiorentino, A., "Senior Drivers, Bicyclists and Pedestrian Behavior Related with Traffic Accidents and Injuries," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1397, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1397.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
- European Commission. (2015) (a). The 2015 Ageing Report. Economic and budgetary projections for the 28 EU Member States (2013-2060). ISSN 0379-0991
- Kent, R., Henary, B., Matsuoka, F. (2005). On the fatal crash experience of older drivers. In Annual Proceedings/Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (Vol. 49, p. 371). Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- ALEXANDER, Jennifer; BARHAM, Philip; BLACK, Ian. Factors influencing the probability of an incident at a junction: results from an interactive driving simulator. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 2002, 34.6: 779-792.
- infas & DLR (2010). Mobilität in Deutschland 2008. Ergebnisbericht. Struktur - Aufkommen - Emissionen - Trends. Im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums für Verkehr, Bau und Stadtentwicklung. Bonn und Berlin
- EEFM, “Enquesta de Mobilitat en un Dia Feiner” is working day mobility query in Barcelona and surroundings. Carried out by the Àrea de Barcelona - Autoritat del Transport Metropolità -http://www.atm.cat/web/ca/EMEF.php
- MOVILIA 2006/2007 - statistical information regarding the standard mobility of Spanish resident population at working days http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_CASTELLANO/ATENCION_CIUDADANO/INFORMACION_ESTADISTICA/Movilidad/Movilia2006_2007/
- INE, Instituto Nacional de Estadística; INEbase / Demografía y población / Cifras de población y Censos demográficos http://www.ine.es/welcome.shtml
- AUDIMOB, osservatorio sui comportamenti di mobilità degli italiani. (2014). La domanda di mobilità degli italiani. Rapporto congiunturale di fine anno
- ACI-ISTAT (2015). Report on Road accidents in Italy. Retrieved from www.istat.it
- Reed, N., Kinnear, N., Weaver, L. (2012). Why do older drivers have more' failed to look'crashes? A simulator based study (No. PPR635). TRL: Crowthorne.
- Dukic, T., Broberg, T. (2012). Older drivers’ visual search behaviour at intersections. Transportation research part F: traffic psychology and behaviour, 15(4), 462-470.
- Ortiz, C., Castro, J. J., Alarcón, A., Soler, M., Anera, R. G. (2013). Quantifying age-related differences in visual-discrimination capacity: Drivers with and without visual impairment. Applied Ergonomics, 44(4), 523-531.
- Owens, D. A., Wood, J. M., Owens, J. M. (2007). Effects of age and illumination on night driving: A road test. Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 49(6), 1115-1131.
- Cavallo, V., Dommes, A., Boustelitane, F., Mestre, D., Vienne, F. (2010, June). Risky decisions in elderly pedestrians’ street crossings: the role of vehicle speed and motion perception. In International Conference on Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled Persons (TRANSED), 12th, 2010, Hong Kong, China
- Shanmugaratnam, S., Kass, S. J., Arruda, J. E. (2010). Age differences in cognitive and psychomotor abilities and simulated driving. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 42(3), 802-808.
- Lang, B., Parkes, A., Fernandez-Medina, K. (2013). Driving choices for the older motorist: the role of self-assessment tools. RAC foundation: London
- Johannsen, H., Müller, G. (2013b). Accident and injury risks of elderly car occupants. The 23rd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Seoul, Republic of Korea. Paper Number 13-0223
- Johannsen, H., Müller, G. (2013a). Anpassung des Straßenverkehrs an die Anforderungen älterer Menschen: Vertiefende Unfallanalysen und Fahrzeuggestaltung. In Beckmann K. J. & Schlag B. (Hrsg.), Mobilität und Demografische Entwicklung, Schriftenreihe Mobilität im Alter der Eugen-Otto-Butz-Stiftung, Band 7. Köln: TÜV Media.
- DGT Microdatos de accidentes- Dirección General de Tráfico of Spain. - Accident database with several variables https://sedeapl.dgt.gob.es/WEB_IEST_CONSULTA/subcategoria.faces
- CIREN (Crash Injury Research and Engineering Network) American multidisciplinary database It covers a ten year period (2005 through 2014) and a total of 693 accidents