This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Seat and Sitter Dimensions on Pressure Distribution in Automotive Seats
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Seat fit is characterized by the spatial relationship between the seat and the vehicle occupant’s body. Seat surface pressure distribution is one of the best available quantitative measures of this relationship. However, the relationships between sitter attributes, pressure, and seat fit have not been well established. The objective of this study is to model seat pressure distribution as a function of the dimensions of the seat and the occupant’s body. A laboratory study was conducted using 12 production driver seats from passenger vehicles and light trucks. Thirty-eight men and women sat in each seat in a driving mockup. Seat surface pressure distribution was measured on the seatback and cushion. Relevant anthropometric dimensions were recorded for each participant and standardized dimensions based on SAE J2732 (2008) were acquired for each test seat. Regression models were effective in predicting characteristics of pressure distribution from the anthropometric variables and SAE J2732 dimensions. The resulting models may be useful to evaluate virtual fit simulations of the interaction between the seat and sitter.
CitationJones, M., Park, J., Ebert-Hamilton, S., Kim, K. et al., "Effects of Seat and Sitter Dimensions on Pressure Distribution in Automotive Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1390, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1390.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- De Looze, M., Kuijt-Evers, L., and Van Dieen, J., “Sitting comfort and discomfort and the relationships with objective measures,” Ergonomics, 46(10): 985–997, 2003, doi:10.1080/0014013031000121977.
- Hu, J. and Reed, M., "Development of a Methodology for Simulating Seat Back Interaction Using Realistic Body Contours," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(2):623–628, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0452.
- Kolich, M., 2004. Predicting automobile seat comfort using a neural network. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 33 (4), 285–293.
- Kolich, M. and Taboun, S., “Ergonomics modelling and evaluation of automobile seat comfort,” Ergonomics, 47(8):841–863, 2004, doi:10.1080/0014013042000193273.
- Kyung, G., Nussbaum, M. A. & (2008). Driver sitting comfort and discomfort (part II): Relationships with and prediction from interface pressure. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 38 (5–6), 526–538.
- Mergl, C., Klendauer, M., Mangen, C., and Bubb, H., "Predicting Long Term Riding Comfort in Cars by Contact Forces Between Human and Seat," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2690, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2690.
- Oudenhuijzen, A., Tan, K., and Morsch, F., "The Relationship Between Seat Pressure and Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2213, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2213.
- Park, J., Ebert-Hamilton, S., Kim, K., Jones, M., "Development of an Automatic Seat-Dimension Extraction System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1429, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1429.
- Park, S., Lee, Y., Nahm, Y., Lee, J., "Seating Physical Characteristics and Subjective Comfort:Design Considerations," SAE Technical Paper 980653, 1998, doi:10.4271/980653.
- Park, S., Min, S., Subramaniyam, M., Lee, D., "Analysis of Body Pressure Ratio for Evaluation of Automotive Seating Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0456, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0456.
- Reed, M.P. and Parkinson, M.B. (2008). Modeling variability in torso shape for chair and seat design. DETC2008-49483. Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences. ASME, New York.
- Reed, M., Manary, M., and Schneider, L., "Methods for Measuring and Representing Automobile Occupant Posture," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0959, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0959.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard, "Motor Vehicle Seat Dimensions," SAE Standard J2732, Issued June 2008.
- Vincent, A., Bhise, V., and Mallick, P., "Seat Comfort as a Function of Occupant Characteristics and Pressure Measurements at the Occupant-Seat Interface," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0071, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0071.
- Zenk, R., Mergl, C., Hartung, J., Sabbah, O., "Objectifying the Comfort of Car Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1299, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1299.