This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Fatigue Analysis of Exhaust System Mounting Brackets for Commercial Vehicle - Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In commercial vehicles, exhaust system is normally mounted on frame side members (FSM) using hanger brackets. These exhaust system hanger brackets are tested either as part of full vehicle durability testing or as a subsystem in a rig testing. During initial phases of product development cycle, the hanger brackets are validated for their durability in rig level testing using time domain signals acquired from mule vehicle. These signals are then used in uni-axial, bi-axial or tri-axial rig facilities based on their severity and the availability of test rigs. This paper depicts the simulation method employed to replicate the bi-directional rig testing through modal transient analysis. Finite Element Method (FEM) is applied for numerical analysis of exhaust system assembly using MSC/Nastran software with the inclusion of rubber isolator modeling, meshing guidelines etc. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) results are in good agreement with rig level test results. This paper also explains a method for identifying root cause for high stresses in critical locations and predominant mode causing failures using FEA. Effective design modifications can be done if root cause is clearly identified. Also, the type of test-rig to be used during physical testing can be identified using this procedure.
|Technical Paper||Road Load Data Estimation on Multiaxial Test Rigs for Exhaust System Vibrations|
|Technical Paper||CAE-based Virtual Shaker Table for Exhaust System Component Development|
CitationP, S., Sujatha, C., and K., C., "Transient Fatigue Analysis of Exhaust System Mounting Brackets for Commercial Vehicle - Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1333, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1333.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- SenthilnathanSubbaih , O.P.Singh , Mohan SrikanthK. , Jeyaraj Arokia P. 2011 Effect of muffler mounting brackets designs on durability Engineering Failure Analysis 18 2011 1094 1107
- Rathanraj , K. , Verma , A. , Srividya , A. , Mannikar , A. et al. Extrapolation of Service Load Data SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1619 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1619
- Sakai , Y. , Watanabe , I. , and Nakamaru , T. Road-load Input Contribution Analysis for Suspension Durability using a Multiaxial Road Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1482 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1482
- Vellaichamy , S. and Keshtkar , H. New Approaches to Modal Transient Fatigue Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3509 2000 10.4271/2000-01-3509
- Vellaichamy , S. Transient Dynamic Fatigue Analysis using Inertia Relief Approach with Modal Resonance Augmentation SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3119 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3119
- Yang , F. and Cheng , H. Modal Transient FEA Study to Simulate Exhaust System Road Load Test SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0027 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0027
- Altair Hyper works 12.0 User Guide
- MSC / Nastran / Patran reference manual