This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of a Power-Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle with Electrochemical Battery Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper studies the nonlinear model predictive control for a power-split Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) power management system to improve the fuel economy. In this paper, a physics-based battery model is built and integrated with a base HEV model from Autonomie®, a powertrain and vehicle model architecture and development software from Argonne National Laboratory. The original equivalent circuit battery model from the software has been replaced by a single particle electrochemical lithium ion battery model. A predictive model that predicts the driver’s power request, the battery state of charge (SOC) and the engine fuel consumption is studied and used for the nonlinear model predictive controller (NMPC). A dedicated NMPC algorithm and its solver are developed and validated with the integrated HEV model. The performance of the NMPC algorithm is compared with that of a rule-based controller. This study provides a sound basis for the further study of stochastic MPC and NMPC for the HEV power management with the consideration of battery aging and thermal performance.
CitationCheng, M., Feng, L., and Chen, B., "Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of a Power-Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle with Electrochemical Battery Model," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1252, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1252.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Musardo , C . Rizzoni , and G . Staccia , B A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management Proceedings of the 44th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2005 1816 1823
- Borhan , H . Vahidi , A . Phillips , A. M. Kuang , M. L. Kolmanovsky , and I. V. Di Cairano , S MPC-based energy management of a power-split hybrid electric vehicle IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol 20 3 593 603 2012
- Ripaccioli , G . Bernardini , D . Di Cairano , S . Bemporad a , and Kolmanovsky I. V , A stochastic model predictive control approach for series hybrid electric vehicle power management Proc. 2010 Am. Control Conf 5844 5849 2010
- Brahma , A . Guezennec , and Y . Rizzoni , G Optimal energy management in series hybrid electric vehicles Am. Control Conf. 2000. Proc. 2000, 1 June 60 64 2000
- Lin , C.-C. Peng , and H . Grizzle , J. W. A stochastic control strategy for hybrid electric vehicles Am. Control Conf. 2004. Proc. 2004 5 4710 4715 2004
- Serrao , L . Onori , S . Sciarretta , A . Guezennec , and Y . Rizzoni , G Optimal energy management of hybrid electric vehicles including battery aging Am. Control Conf. (ACC), 2011 3 2125 2130 2011
- Ebbesen , S . Elbert , and P . Guzzella , L Battery State-of-Health Perceptive Energy Management for Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol 61 7 2893 2900 2012
- Moura , S. J. Stein , and J. L. Fathy , H. K. Battery-health conscious power management in plug-in hybrid electric vehicles via electrochemical modeling and stochastic control IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol 21 3 679 694 2013
- Prada , E . Di Domenico , D . Creff , Y . Bernard , J . Sauvant-moynot , and V . Huet , F A Simplified Electrochemical and Thermal Aging Model of LiFePO 4 -Graphite Li-ion Batteries : Power and Capacity Fade Simulations J. Electrochem. Soc 160 4 A616 A628 2013
- A123 Systems Lithium Ion Batteries for Transportation.” http://www.a123systems.com/solutions-transportation.htm
- Autonomie - Powertrain and Vehicle Model Architecture and Development Environment. Version: 1210 Argonne National Laboratory..
- Prada , E . Di Domenico , D . Creff , Y . Bernard , J . Sauvant-Moynot , and V . Huet , F Simplified Electrochemical and Thermal Model of LiFePO4-Graphite Li-Ion Batteries for Fast Charge Applications J. Electrochem. Soc 159 9 A1508 A1519 2012
- Di Domenico , D . Stefanopoulou , and A . Fiengo , G Lithium-Ion Battery State of Charge and Critical Surface Charge Estimation Using an Electrochemical Model-Based Extended Kalman Filter J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control 132 6 61302 2010
- Bergveld , H. J. Kruijt , and W. S. Notten , P. H. L. Battery management systems: design by modelling 2002, 2002
- Eshani , M . Gao , Y . Gay , and S . Emadi , A Modern electric, hybrid electric and fuel cell vehicles 2nd. Edition 2010
- Feng , L . Cheng , and M . Chen , B Predictive Control of a Power-Split HEV with Fuel Consumption and SOC Estimation SAE International 2015
- Borhan , H. A. Vahidi , A . Phillips , A. M. Kuang , and M. L. Kolmanovsky , I. V. Predictive energy management of a power-split hybrid electric vehicle,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference 2009 3970 3976
- Liu , J Modeling, configuration and control optimization of power-split hybrid vehicles University of Michigan 2007