This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray-Formed Hybrid-Field Traction Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An advanced electric motor with hybrid-field topology has been developed for automotive traction applications. Departing from the conventional radial- and axial-field designs, the hybrid-field motor features three-dimensional magnetic flux paths, which are enabled by a novel isotropic soft magnetic material produced by a unique additive-manufacturing process based on spray forming. The motor is expected to offer an unprecedented combination of high power output, compact size, low weight and energy efficiency, achieving more than two times higher power density than state-of-the-art high-performance traction motors.
|Technical Paper||Identification of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Parameters|
|Technical Paper||Long Term Impact of Vehicle Electrification on Vehicle Weight and Cost Breakdown|
|Technical Paper||Reliability of SiC-MOSFET for Hybrid Vehicle|
CitationKrishnasamy, J. and Hosek, M., "Spray-Formed Hybrid-Field Traction Motor," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1225, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1225.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Jurkovic , S. , Rahman , K. , Savagian , P. , and Dawsey , R. Electric Traction Motors for Cadillac CT6 Plugin Hybrid-Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1220 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1220
- Momen , F. , Rahman , K. , Son , Y. , and Savagian , P. Electric Motor Design of General Motors’ Chevrolet Bolt Electric Vehicle SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 5 2 286 293 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1228
- Hur J. , Sung H.-G. , and Lee B.-K. , Development of High-Efficiency 42 V Cooling Fan Motor for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Application IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference 2006
- Cvetkovski G. and Petkovska L. Performance Improvement of PM Synchronous Motor by Using Soft Magnetic Composite Material IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 44 11 November 2008
- Shokrollahi H. , Janghorban K. Soft magnetic composite materials (SMCs) Journal of Materials Processing Technology 189 2007 1 12
- Jack A. G. , Mecrow B. C. , Dickinson P. G. , Stephenson D. , Burdess J. S. , Fawcett N. and Evans J. T. , Permanent Magnet Machines with Powdered Iron Core and Prepressed Windings IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 36 4 July/August 2000
- Profumo F. , Tenconi A. , Zhang , Z. Cavagnino A. , Novel Axial Flux Interior PM Synchronous Motor Realized with Powdered Soft Magnetic Materials IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting 1998
- Hosek M. , and Sripati S. Structured Magnetic Material Having Domains with Insulated Boundaries U.S. Patent 9,205,488 B2 December 8 2015
- Hosek M. System and Method for Making a Structured Material U.S. Patent Application Publication 2013/0000447 January 3 2013
- Hosek M. and Sah S. Hybrid Field Electric Motor U.S. Patent Application Publication 2014/0009025 Jan. 9 2014
- Hosek M. , Krishnasamy J. , Sah S. , and Bashaw T. Spray-Formed Hybrid-Field Electric Motor Proceedings of 2016 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences Paper No. DETC 2016-59339 August 21–24, 2016 Charlotte, North Carolina