This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Fuel Cell Boost Converter Using Coupled-Inductor for New FCV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A new fuel cell voltage control unit (FCVCU) has been developed for a new fuel cell vehicle (FCV). In order to simultaneously reduce the electric powertrain size and increase the driving motor power, the FCVCU is needed to boost the voltage supplied from the fuel cell (FC) stack to the driving motor. The FCVCU circuit configuration has four single-phase chopper circuits arranged in parallel to form a 4-phase interleaved circuit. The intelligent power module (IPM) is a full SiC IPM, the first known use to date in a mass production vehicle, and efficiency has been enhanced by making use of the effects of the increased frequency to reduce both the size of the unit and the loss from passive parts. In addition, a coupled inductor was used to reduce the inductor size. As a result, the inductor volume per unit power was reduced approximately 30% compared to the previous VCU inductor. The control determines the number of operating phases that reduces the loss according to the input current of the FCVCU and the boost rate, and drive phase switching control is performed to switch the number of operating phases according to the input current to help increase the VCU efficiency. The establishment of these technologies achieved a size reduction of approximately 40% in terms of FCVCU volume, compared to the conventional technology, and contributed greatly to making it feasible to mount the powertrain under the front hood.
CitationKitamoto, R., Sato, S., Nakamura, H., and Amano, A., "Development of Fuel Cell Boost Converter Using Coupled-Inductor for New FCV," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1224, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1224.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- MATSUNAGA Minoru, FUKUSHIMA Tatsuya, OJIMA Kuniaki, KIMURA Kenichiro, OGAWA Takayuki, “Fuel Cell Powertrain for FCX Clarity”, Honda R&D Technical Review, Vol.21, No.1, p.7–14 (2009)
- Wen Wei and Lee Yim-Shu, “A two-channel interleaved boost converter with reduced core loss and copper loss, “Power Electronics Specialists Conference, 2004.PESC 04.2004 IEEE 35th Annual, Vol.2, p.1003–1009 (2004)
- Hirakawa, M. Watanabe Y., Nagano M., Andoh K., Nakatomi S., Hashino S., and Shimizu T., “High power DC/DC converter using extreme close-coupled inductors aimed for electric vehicles, “Power Electronics Conference (IPEC), 2010 International, p.2941–2948 (2010)
- Saito Kazuhiro, Otsuka Hiroshi, “Development of PCU for a New HEV Drive, ”JSAE Technical Paper No.46–13, p.13–16 (2013), 20135063
- KIMURA Kenichiro, KAWASAKI Teruaki, OHMURA Takayuki, ATSUMI Yoshihiro, SHIMIZU Kiyoshi, “Development of New Fuel Cell Vehicle CLARITY FUEL CELL, ”Honda R&D Technical Review, Vol.28, No.1, p.1–7 (2016)
- Wong Pit-Leong, Wu Qiaoqiao, Xu Peng, Yang Bo, and Lee Fred C., “Investigating Coupling Inductors in the Interleaving QSW VRM, ”Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC) 2000, p.973–978 (2000)