This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Online Capacity Estimation for Automotive Lithium-Ion Cells Incorporating Temperature-Variation and Cell-Aging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This work provides a new method for estimating the capacity of an automotive Lithium-Ion cell under real application conditions present in Hybrid and Electrical vehicles. Reliable online capacity estimation is needed for accurate prediction of the remaining electrical driving range. This is a crucial criterion for customer acceptance of Electrical vehicles. Dynamic excitations of real driving cycles, temperature variation as well as the variation of electrical battery behavior with capacity and resistance degradation are challenges that need to be overcome.
For this paper, a long-term aging study on 120 automotive Lithium-Ion cells is evaluated with respect to the correlation between electrical cell behavior, temperature and the cell capacity over the complete cell lifetime. The results are used for a dynamic state-space model which provides the current-voltage relationship valid for all aging states of the battery. The dependence of cell capacity on ambient temperature variation and charge/discharge rate is also analyzed, as well as open-circuit-voltage characteristics with fading capacity.
Using this model, a novel online estimation approach for the cell capacity based on a Quasi-Monte-Carlo-method with multiple Kalman-Filters in parallel is presented. It allows accurate determination of the actual capacity under arbitrary dynamic excitation at different ambient temperatures and unknown aging condition. The new estimation approach offers significant improvements over existing methods due to the inherent separation between long-term estimation of capacity fade and short-term effects of resistance and State-of-Charge.
The method has been proven with real-life driving cycles and offers enhanced capacity and State-of-Charge estimation under full application conditions.
CitationWesskamp, P., Reitemeyer, S., and Melbert, J., "Online Capacity Estimation for Automotive Lithium-Ion Cells Incorporating Temperature-Variation and Cell-Aging," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1191, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1191.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Farmann, A., Waag, W., Marongiu, A., and Sauer, D. U., “Critical review of on-board capacity estimation techniques for lithium-ion batteries in electric and hybrid electric vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources, 281): 114–130, 2015; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.01.129.
- Pei, L., Wang, T., Lu, R., and Zhu, C., “Development of a voltage relaxation model for rapid open-circuit voltage prediction in lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, 253): 412–418, 2014; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.12.083.
- Waag, W., and Sauer, D. U., “Adaptive estimation of the electromotive force of the lithium-ion battery after current interruption for an accurate state-of-charge and capacity determination,” Applied Energy, 111): 416–427, 2013; doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.001.
- Feng, F., Lu, R., and Zhu, C., “A Combined State of Charge Estimation Method for Lithium-Ion Batteries Used in a Wide Ambient Temperature Range,” Energies, 7(5): 3004–3032, 2014; doi:10.3390/en7053004.
- Kim, J., and Cho, B. H., “Pattern Recognition for Temperature-Dependent State-of-Charge/Capacity Estimation of a Li-ion Cell,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., 28(1): 1–11, 2013; doi:10.1109/TEC.2012.2222884.
- Marcicki, J., Canova, M., Conlisk, A. T., and Rizzoni, G., “Design and parametrization analysis of a reduced-order electrochemical model of graphite/LiFePO4 cells for SOC/SOH estimation,” Journal of Power Sources, 237): 310–324, 2013; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.12.120.
- Dubarry, M., Truchot, C., and Liaw, B. Y., “Synthesize battery degradation modes via a diagnostic and prognostic model,” Journal of Power Sources, 219): 204–216, 2012; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.07.016.
- Marongiu, A., Nlandi, N., Rong, Y., and Sauer, D. U., “On-board capacity estimation of lithium iron phosphate batteries by means of half-cell curves,” Journal of Power Sources, 324): 158–169, 2016; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.05.041.
- Lavigne, L., Sabatier, J., Francisco, J. M., Guillemard, F., and Noury, A., “Lithium-ion Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) curve modelling and its ageing adjustment,” Journal of Power Sources, 324): 694–703, 2016; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.05.121.
- Wesskamp, P., Fischnaller, M., Lohmann, N., Melbert, J. , "Improved SOC Estimation for Lithium-Ion Cells Valid for Different Temperatures and States-of-Health," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1537, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1537.
- Lee, S., Kim, J., Lee, J., and Cho, B. H., “State-of-charge and capacity estimation of lithium-ion battery using a new open-circuit voltage versus state-of-charge,” Journal of Power Sources, 185(2): 1367–1373, 2008; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.08.103.
- Hu, C., Youn, B. D., and Chung, J., “A multiscale framework with extended Kalman filter for lithium-ion battery SOC and capacity estimation,” Applied Energy, 92): 694–704, 2012; doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.08.002.
- Zou, Y., Hu, X., Ma, H., and Li, S. E., “Combined State of Charge and State of Health estimation over lithium-ion battery cell cycle lifespan for electric vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources, 273): 793–803, 2015; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.09.146.
- Weßkamp, P., Haußmann, P., and Melbert, J., “600-A Test System for Aging Analysis of Automotive Li-Ion Cells With High Resolution and Wide Bandwidth,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., 65(7): 1651–1660, 2016; doi:10.1109/TIM.2016.2534379.
- Birkl, C. R., McTurk, E., Roberts, M. R., Bruce, P. G., and Howey, D. A., “A Parametric Open Circuit Voltage Model for Lithium Ion Batteries,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 162(12): A2271–A2280, 2015; doi:10.1149/2.0331512jes.
- Plett, G. L., “Extended Kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs,” Journal of Power Sources, 134(2): 252–261, 2004; doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.02.031.
- Rosca, B., Kessels, J., Bergveld, H. J., and van den Bosch, P., “On-line parameter, state-of-charge and aging estimation of Li-ion batteries,” in 2012 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC):1122–1127.