This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Gear Meshing and Order Tracking of a Transfer Case
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gear transmission is widely used in mechanical transmission system and acts an important role in automotive industry. Manufacturing errors, assembly looseness, gear wear issues may result in gear backlash, noise and fatigue damage seriously affecting efficiency and service life of gear transmission. For gear transmission assembled, it is important to monitor the conditions of gear meshing and prevent the occurrence of dangerous situations. How to define the issues of gear tooth wear, misaligned bearing, gear eccentricity, backlash, and how to find faulty planetary gear sets and specific issues existing in gear transmission are meaningful and significant to ensure the quality of product. This paper starts from the analysis on gearing mechanism. Based on the behaviors represented by the issues, gear tooth wear, misaligned bearing, gear eccentricity and backlash are demonstrated and explained in detail. The results illustrate that gear wear can be expressed by excitation of natural frequency along with 1×rpm side-bands of defective gear, and gear misalignment can excite second order or higher harmonics with side-bands of running speed and gear meshing frequency (GMF for short) with fairly high amplitude indicates eccentricity, backlash and non-parallel shafts. In addition, gear meshing and order tracking analysis are conducted in the transfer case. The results reveal that there exist two problems covering shaft looseness and misalignment of the planetary gear set. The premier noise sources relate to the looseness of input and output shafts at high gear range, while the planetary gear set with eccentricity has shown significant contribution to the noise at low gear range. Thus, the novel conclusion proposed provides theoretical basis and data support for the further study on gear noise.
CitationMa, F., Zhao, Y., Pu, Y., and Wang, J., "Study on the Gear Meshing and Order Tracking of a Transfer Case," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1119, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1119.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Chen Y, Ishibashi A. Investigation of the Noise and Vibration of Planetary Gear Drives[C]//ASME 2003 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2003.
- Qatu M S, Abdelhamid M K, Pang J, Overview of automotive noise and vibration[J]. International Journal of Vehicle Noise & Vibration, 2009, 5(1):1-35.
- Qatu M S. Recent research on vehicle noise and vibration[J]. International Journal of Vehicle Noise & Vibration, 2012, 8(4):289-301.
- Singh, R. Xie, H. Comparin R.J. Analysis of automotive neutral gear rattle[J]. Journal of Sound and Vibration,1989,131(2): 177–196.
- Pfeiffer, F. Kunert A.. Rattling models from deterministic to stochastic processes[J]. Nonlinear Dynamics, 1990 ,1: 63–74.
- Barthod M, Hayne B, Tébec J L, . Experimental study of gear rattle excited by a multi-harmonic excitation [J]. Applied Acoustics, 2007, 68(9):1003–1025.
- Cui L, Zhai H, Zhang F. Research on the meshing stiffness and vibration response of cracked gears based on the universal equation of gear profile[J]. Mechanism & Machine Theory, 2015, 94:80-95.
- Ottewill J R, Neild S A, Wilson R E. An investigation into the effect of tooth profile errors on gear rattle [J]. Journal of Sound & Vibration, 2010, 329(17):3495-3506.
- Toso, A. Palermo, A. de-Juan, A. Cerdá, R. Agazzi, A. Mundo, D. Desmet, W. Heirman G.H.K. A comparison and experimental validation of gear contact models for spur and helical gears[C]//International Gear Conference 2014,Lyon, 26th–28th August, 2014:351-359.
- Cornell R.W., Compliance and stress sensitivity of spur gear teeth[J]. J. Mech. Des. 1981,103 (2) :447–459.
- Feng, S. Mao, J. Xie Y. Analysis and calculation of gear mesh stiffness with tooth wear[J]. JME.2015.15.027S
- Deng X. H. Research on Gear Mesh Misalignments under the System Deformation[J]. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2014,721: 140-143.
- Wang Z G, Yi Z, Zhou G P, . Correlation tests for transmission gear whine and vibration of end of line[J]. Journal of Vibration & Shock, 2012, 31(23):180-184.
- Peng G M, Bo Y U, Xiao Ying M A. Gear meshing characteristics of powertrain NVH analysis[J]. Journal of Vibration Engineering, 2010,23(6):681-686.
- Miyata T, Kang L B, Hirogaki T, . Investigation of Gear Meshing Noise of Planetary Gear Mechanism for Hybrid Vehicles[J]. Advanced Materials Research, 2014, 939:555-562.
- Tsai S J, Huang G L, Ye S Y. Gear meshing analysis of planetary gear sets with a floating sun gear[J]. Mechanism & Machine Theory, 2015, 84(1):145-163.
- Han X, Hua L, Deng S, . Influence of alignment errors on contact pressure during straight bevel gear meshing process[J]. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2015, 28(6):1-11.
- Metwalley S M, Hammad N, Abouelseoud S A. Vehicle gearbox fault diagnosis using noise measurements [J]. International Journal of Energy & Environment, 2011, 2(6):116-125.
- Niola V, Quaremba G. The gear whine noise: the influence of manufacturing process on vibroa-acoustic emission of gear-box [J].World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS), 2011:175-179.
- Zhong Z, Jiang Z, Long Y, . Analysis on the Noise for the Different Gearboxes of the Heavy Truck [J]. Shock and Vibration, 2015(2015):1-5.
- Niola V, Quaremba G. The gear whine noise and vibro-acoustic emission of gear-box[C]//Proceedings of the 11th WSEAS international conference on robotics, control and manufacturing technology, and 11th WSEAS international conference on Multimedia systems & signal processing. 2011:138-143.
- Han S J, Li X, Liu K. Based on ADAMS of the analysis of vibration and noise testing of micro-vehicle rear axle[C]// Electric Information and Control Engineering (ICEICE), 2011 International Conference on. IEEE, 2011:5740-5743.
- Yan Staden A M, Joubert G B. Torsional vibration and acoustic noise analysis of a compound planetary power-split hybrid electric vehicle[J]. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2013, 228(1):94-103.