This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Novel Shift Control without Clutch Slip in Hybrid Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the introduction of new regulations on emissions, fuel efficiency, driving cycles, etc. challenges for the powertrains are significantly increasing. In order to fulfil these regulations, hybrid-electric powertrains are an unquestioned option for short and long-term solutions. Hybridization however, is not only fulfilling these challenging efficiency or emission targets, but also allows numerous new possibilities on control strategies of different powertrain elements as well as new approaches of designing them. A good example is transmissions where, hybridization allows a new transmission type called Dedicated Hybrid Transmission (DHT), which enables to use novel control strategies bringing improved performance, driveability, durability and NVH behavior.
This paper focuses on the novel shift strategy where friction clutches do not have to slip. The strategy introduces a novel shifting control using the integrated electric motor and special power flow of the dedicated hybrid transmissions. The novel shift strategy significantly improves shift comfort, thermal losses and element durability. In addition, several design aspects are challenged by proposing questions like selection of dog clutches over friction clutches, usage of eCVT modes in DHT and how a DHT shall be designed,.
CitationYolga, M. and Bachinger, M., "Novel Shift Control without Clutch Slip in Hybrid Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1110, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1110.
- Mi C. , Masrur M.A. , Wenzhong Gao D. Hybrid electric vehicles - Principles and applications with practical perspectives Wiley 2011 10.1002/9781119998914
- Sciarretta A. , Guzzella L. 2007 Control of hybrid electric vehicles IEEE Control Systems Magazine 27 2 60 70 10.1109/MCS.2007.338280
- Naunheimer H. , Bertsche B. & Lechner G. 2007 Fahrzeuggetriebe: Grundlagen, Auswahl, Auslegung und Konstruktion 2nd Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Yolga M. Robust 3-Element Gear Shift for Electrified Powertrains 13th International CTI Symposium December 2014 Berlin
- Yolga M. AVL Future Hybrid, Transmission for the Future Powertrains 4th International CTI China Symposium September 2015 Shanghai
- Teufelberger P. , Yolga M. , Ringdorfer M. , Korsunky E. Optimierte Regelung integrierter Hybridgetriebe Motortechnische Zeitschrift September 2016
- Yolga M. AVL 7- and 8-Mode Dedicated Hybrid Transmissions 14th International CTI Symposium December 2015 Berlin
- Bachinger M. , Stolz M. , Horn M. 2015 A novel drivetrain modelling approach for real-time simulation Mechatronics 32 67 78 10.1016/j.mechatronics.2015.10.006
- Bachinger M. 2016 Generic model for automotive transmission control: A real-time approach Omniscriptum GmbH & CoKG 978-3-8381-5323-0