This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driveability Improvement with Innovative Toyota 8 Speed Automatic Transmission Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
To meet increasing driveability expectation and government stringent fuel economy regulations reducing CO2 emissions of passenger cars; Toyota developed a new 8-speed automatic transmission "Direct Shift-8AT".
Direct Shift-8AT is the first stepped automatic transmission model based on “TNGA” philosophy.
New models which received Direct Shift-8AT are the new Camry, Highlander and Sienna.
Direct Shift-8AT has an innovative control method with gear train and torque converter models, providing enhanced driveability and fuel economy performance through high efficiency transmission technology.
This paper describes details of the new technology and vehicle performance.
CitationOta, K., Kondo, M., Shinohara, S., Tsukamoto, N. et al., "Driveability Improvement with Innovative Toyota 8 Speed Automatic Transmission Control," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1109, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1109.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Scherer, H., Bek, M., and Kilian, S., "ZF New 8-speed Automatic Transmission 8HP70 - Basic Design and Hybridization-," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):314-326, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0510.
- Bai, S., Moses, R., Schanz, T., and Gorman, M., "Development of a New Clutch-to-Clutch Shift Control Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1252, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1252.
- Clark, K., Singh, T., Buffa, R., Gayney, J. et al., "General Motors Front Wheel Drive Seven Speed Dry Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1379-1390, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1093.
- Greiner, J., Doerr, C., Nauerz, H., and Graeve, M., "The New “7G-TRONIC” of Mercedes-Benz: Innovative Transmission Technology for Better Driving Performance, Comfort and Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0649, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0649.
- Ota, H., Nozaki, K., Honda, A., Kinoshita, M. et al., "Toyota's World First 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1101, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1101.
- Oshima, K., Kimura, H., Miyata, H., and Matsumoto, S., "Control System Development with Large Flow Small Linear Solenoid for the New Toyota FWD 6-Speed Transaxle," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1487, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1487.
- Hojo, Y., Iwatsuki, K., Oba, H., and Ishikawa, K., "Toyota Five-Speed Automatic Transmission with Application of Modern Control Theory," SAE Technical Paper 920610, 1992, doi:10.4271/920610.