This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Vanes Spacing for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In modern automotive engines, Variable Displacement Oil Pump (VDOP) is becoming the pump of choice to enable reduction in friction and delivery of stringent fuel economy. However, this pump creates pressure ripples, at the outlet port during oil pump shaft rotation, causing oscillating forces within the system and leading to the generation of tonal noises and vibrations. In order to minimize the level of noise, different porting geometries and vane spacing are used.
This paper describes an optimization method intended to identify the best possible spacing of the vanes in the conventional 7-vanes, 9-vanes and 11-vanes oil pumps. The method integrates a Matlab routine with the modeFRONTIER
software to create the required design space in order to perform a multi-objective optimization using a genetic algorithm. Results of this optimization method are discussed and a design guideline for the VDOP vane spacing is disclosed. Test data are included to validate the results of the optimization study.
CitationZouani, A., Dziubinschi, G., Marri, V., and Antonov, S., "Optimal Vanes Spacing for Improved NVH Performance of Variable Displacement Oil Pumps," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1062, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1062.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Zouani , A. , Stout , J. , Hanim , S. , Gan , C. NVH Development of the Ford 2.7L 4V-V6 Turbocharged Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1947 1952 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2288
- Zouani , A. and Hanim , S. Overview of noise and vibration in automotive engines Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 12 2 2016 162 181
- Gronchi , S. , Maccherini , R. , Squarcini , R. , Guglielmo , F. Analysis of the Acoustic Emission of an Oil Pump: Experimental and Numerical Activities SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0120 2014 10.4271/2014-32-0120
- Moetakef , M. and Zouani , A. CAE Simulation of Engine Tonal Noise Generated by Gerotor Oil Pumps SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2245 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2245
- Kirchner , M. , Langer , M. and Richter , C. Vane Pump United State Patent US 9,051,933, 06-09-2015
- Chambers , L. The Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms: Applications Second Chapman & Hall/ CRC Press 2000