This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Oil Fuel Economy Testing - A Tale of Two Tests
ISSN: 1946-3952, e-ISSN: 1946-3960
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Michlberger, A., Morgan, P., Delbridge, E., Gieselman, M. et al., "Engine Oil Fuel Economy Testing - A Tale of Two Tests," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(2):478-486, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0882.
- Styer, J. and Guinther, G., "Fuel Economy Beyond ILSAC GF-5: Correlation of Modern Engine Oil Tests to Real World Performance," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):1025-1033, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1618.
- Irwin, R. and Fernandez, F., "Energy-Conserving Engine Oils - Techniques and Technology," SAE Technical Paper 830164, 1983, doi:10.4271/830164.
- Hartfield-Wünsch, S., Tung, S., and Rivard, C., "Development of a Bench Wear Test for the Evaluation of Engine Cylinder Components and the Correlation with Engine Test Results," SAE Technical Paper 932693, 1993, doi:10.4271/932693.
- MacCoull, N., Ryder, E., and Schlop, A., "An Oil Corrosion Tester (A Simplified Apparatus for Testing Corrodibility of Bearings and Corrosiveness of Lubricants)," SAE Technical Paper 420110, 1942, doi:10.4271/420110.
- Consortium to Develop a New Sequence VID Fuel Efficiency Test for Engine Oils, Final Report, October 15, 2008, available online from the ASTM Test Monitoring Center at, ftp://ftp.astmtmc.cmu.edu/docs/gas/sequencevi/minutes/VID%20ConsortiumMatrixInfo/VID%20Consortium/Final%20Report%2010-16-08.pdf
- Mortier, R.M., Fox, M.F., Orszulik, S.T. (2010) “Chemistry and Technology of Lubricants” 2010 New York, New York : Springer doi: 10.1023/b105569
- Blanks, M. and Forster, N., "Technical Approach to Increasing Fuel Economy Test Precision with Light Duty Vehicles on a Chassis Dynamometer," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0907, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0907.
- Morgan, P., Michlberger, A. et al. “Advanced Test Methods Aid in Formulating Engine Oils for Fuel Economy,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2269, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2269.
- 40 CFR 600.208-12 Calculation of FTP-based and HFET-based fuel economy, CO2 emissions, and carbon-related exhaust emissions for a model type, 76 FR39552, July 6, 2011, https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2015-title40-vol30/pdf/CFR-2015-title40-vol30-sec600-208-12.pdf
- EPA, “Fast Facts U.S. Transportation Sector Greenhouse Gas Emissions 1990-2014”, Office of Transportation and Air Quality, EPA-420-F-16-020, June 2016 https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100ONBL.pdf