This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation - Combustion, Emissions and Vibrations-of n-Butanol Binary Mixture with ULSD in an Indirect Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper investigates the performance of an indirect injection (IDI) diesel engine fueled with Bu25, 75% ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD#2) blended with 25% n-butanol by mass. N-butanol, derivable from biomass feedstock, was used given its availability as an alternative fuel that can supplement the existing limited fossil fuel supply. Combustion and emissions were investigated at 2000 rpm across loads of 4.3-7.2 bar indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP). Cylinder pressure was collected using Kistler piezoelectric transducers in the precombustion (PC) and main combustion (MC) chambers. Ignition delays ranged from 0.74 - 1.02 ms for both operated fuels. Even though n-butanol has a lower cetane number, the high swirl in the separate combustion chamber would help advance its premixed combustion. The heat release rate of Bu25 became initially 3 J/crank-angle-degree (CAD) higher than that of ULSD#2 as load increased to 7.2 bar IMEP. Cylinder pressure was 2.25 bar higher within the main chamber for Bu25 compared to the peak values of the ULSD#2 reference. The mechanical efficiency increased with load from 45% to 70% while indicated thermal efficiency reached 44% for 7.2 IMEP load for both fuels. Using an AVL SESAM Fourier Transformed Infrared (FTIR) system and an AVL smoke meter, emissions for the Bu25 fuel blend were measured and showed a decrease of 40% in soot and 2.5% in nitrogen oxides (NOx) at 7.2 bar IMEP. Noise and vibrations measurements were additionally collected using a tri-axial Brüel & Kjær (B&K) accelerometer placed on the valve cover and a B&K multi-field microphone and these were processed in B&K PULSE 19 software. Comparable engine radial vibrations were observed at 7.2 bar IMEP load for both fuels while constant percentage bandwidth (CPB) analysis showcased similar sound levels with a maximum increase of 4 dB at 40 Hz for Bu25. Engine noise and vibrations were not significantly increased at 7.2 bar IMEP during Bu25 operation. The study suggests that n-butanol can be used at 25% as a renewable binary mixture with ULSD#2 while sustaining IDI engine performance.
- Valentin Soloiu - Georgia Southern University
- Jose Moncada - Georgia Southern University
- Martin Muinos - Georgia Southern University
- Aliyah Knowles - Georgia Southern University
- Remi Gaubert - Georgia Southern University
- Thomas Beyerl - Georgia Southern University
- Gustavo Molina - Georgia Southern University
CitationSoloiu, V., Moncada, J., Muinos, M., Knowles, A. et al., "Performance Evaluation - Combustion, Emissions and Vibrations-of n-Butanol Binary Mixture with ULSD in an Indirect Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0875, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0875.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Renewable Fuel Standard Program: Standards for 2017 and Biomass-Based Diesel Volume for 2018, EPA 40 C.F.R. § 80.1405 2016.
- USDA. (2014) Closing in on Butanol Fuel. Agricultural Research. 62 (10), 68.
- Dürre, P., "Biobutanol: An attractive biofuel," Biotechnology Journal, 2: 1525-1534, 2007,doi:10.1002/biot.200700168.
- Kumar, S., Cho, J. H., Park, J., and Moon, I., "Advances in diesel-alcohol blends and their effects on the performance and emissions of diesel engines," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 22: 46-72, 2013,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.01.017.
- "SIDS Initial Assessment Report for SIAM 13: N-butyl Alcohol.," OECD SIDS, Bern, Switzerland, November 2001.
- Sheng, G., “Vehicle Noise, Vibration, and Sound Quality,” (Warrendale, SAE International, 2012), doi:10.4271/R-400.
- Reif, K., Diesel Engine Management: Systems and Components: Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden, 2014, pp. 66-67.
- Liu, S., Gu, F., and Ball, A., "Detection of engine valve faults by vibration signals measured on the cylinder head,”" Journal of Automotive Engineering 2006,doi:10.1243/09544070JAUTO90.
- Ghadikolaei, M. A., "Effect of alcohol blend and fumigation on regulated and unregulated emissions of IC engines-A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 57: 1440-1495, 2016,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.128.
- Can, Ö., Çelikten, İ., and Usta, N., "Effects of ethanol addition on performance and emissions of a turbocharged indirect injection Diesel engine running at different injection pressures," Energy Conversion and Management, 45 (15-16): 2429-2440, 2004,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2003.11.024.
- Rajesh Kumar, B. and Saravanan, S., "Use of higher alcohol biofuels in diesel engines: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 60: 84-115, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.01.085.
- Maiti, S., Gallastegui, G., Sarma, S. J., Brar, S. K., et al., "A relook at the biochemical strategies to enhance butanol production," Biomass and Bioenergy, 94: 187-200, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2016.09.001.
- Marchitto, L., Merola, S., Tornatore, C., and Valentino, G., "An Experimental Investigation of Alcohol/Diesel Fuel Blends on Combustion and Emissions in a Single-Cylinder Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0738, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0738.
- Soloiu, V., Muinos, M., and Harp, S., "Investigation of Dual Fuel PCCI (PFI of n-Butanol and DI-ULSD) Compared with DI of Binary Mixtures of the Same Fuels in an Omnivorous Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0857, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0857.
- Rakopoulos, D. C., Rakopoulos, C. D., Papagiannakis, R. G., and Kyritsis, D. C., "Combustion heat release analysis of ethanol or n-butanol diesel fuel blends in heavy-duty DI diesel engine," Fuel, 90 (5): 1855-1867, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.12.003.
- Michikawauchi, R., Tanno, S., Ito, Y., and Kanda, M., "Combustion Improvement of Diesel Engine by Alcohol Addition - Investigation of Port Injection Method and Blended Fuel Method," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4(1):48-57, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0336.
- Miers, S., Carlson, R., McConnell, S., Ng, H. et al., "Drive Cycle Analysis of Butanol/Diesel Blends in a Light-Duty Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2381, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2381.
- Yilmaz, N., Ileri, E., and Atmanli, A., "Performance of biodiesel/higher alcohols blends in a diesel engine," International Journal of Energy Research, 40 (8): 1134-1143, 2016,10.1002/er.3513.
- Imtenan, S., Masjuki, H. H., Varman, M., Rizwanul Fattah, I. M., et al., "Effect of n-butanol and diethyl ether as oxygenated additives on combustion-emission-performance characteristics of a multiple cylinder diesel engine fuelled with diesel-jatropha biodiesel blend," Energy Conversion and Management, 94: 84-94, 2015,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.01.047.
- Yilmaz, N., Vigil, F. M., Benalil, K., Davis, S. M., et al., "Effect of biodiesel-butanol fuel blends on emissions and performance characteristics of a diesel engine," Fuel, 135: 46-50, 2014,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.06.022.
- Raju, N. and Rao, B. V., "Performance and Emissions Characteristics of an Indirect injection (IDI) Diesel Engine fuelled with Pongamia Methyl Ester (PME) and Isobutanol as an Additive," International Journal of Research & Technology 4 (3) 2015,doi:10.17577/IJERTV4IS030618
- Soloiu, V., Duggan, M., Harp, S., Vlcek, B., et al., "PFI (port fuel injection) of n-butanol and direct injection of biodiesel to attain LTC (low-temperature combustion) for low-emissions idling in a compression engine," Energy, 52: 143-154, 2013a,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.01.023.
- Wadumesthrige, K., Ng, K., and Salley, S., "Properties of Butanol-Biodiesel-ULSD Ternary Mixtures," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):660-670, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2133.
- Deng, P., Huang, R., Ma, Y., and Dai, H., "Prediction Models Developed for Surface Tension of Alcohol + Diesel Blend Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2598, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2598.
- Heywood, J., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, 1988, pp. 532-539.
- AndersonIndustrialEngines. (November 2016). Efficient Combustion. Available: https://www.ai-engines.com/industrial-engines/ie-kubota/super-mini#overview-tab
- Eng, J., "Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2859.
- Borman, G. and Nishiwaki, K., "Internal-Combustion Engine Heat Transfer," Progress in Energy & Combustion Science, 13: 1-46, 1987,doi:10.1016/03601285(87)90005-0.
- Soloiu, V., Harp, S., Watson, C., Muinos, M. et al., "Performance of an IDI Engine Fueled with Fatty Acid Methyl Esters Formulated from Cotton Seeds Oils," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(2):277-289, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0806.
- Benajes, J., Martín, J., García, A., Villalta, D., et al., "In-cylinder soot radiation heat transfer in direct-injection diesel engines," Energy Conversion and Management, 106: 414-427, 2015,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.09.059.
- Badawi, B., Shahin, M., Kolosy, M., Shedied, S. et al., "Identification of Diesel Engine Cycle Events using Measured Surface Vibration," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0097, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-32-0097.
- Schmillen, K. and Wolschendorf, J., "Cycle-To-Cycle variations of Combustion Noise in Diesel," SAE Technical Paper 890129, 1989, doi:10.4271/890129.
- Duggal, V., Priede, T., and Khan, I., "A Study of Pollutant Formation within the Combustion Space of a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 780227, 1978, doi:10.4271/780227.
- Doğan, O., "The influence of n-butanol/diesel fuel blends utilization on a small diesel engine performance and emissions," Fuel, 90 (7): 2467-2472, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2011.02.033.
- d’Ambrosio, S. and Ferrari, A., "Effects of exhaust gas recirculation in diesel engines featuring late PCCI type combustion strategies," Energy Conversion and Management, 105: 1269-1280, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.001.
- Choi, B., Jiang, X., Kim, Y. K., Jung, G., et al., "Effect of diesel fuel blend with n-butanol on the emission of a turbocharged common rail direct injection diesel engine," Applied Energy, 146: 20-28, 2015,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.02.061.