This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Methodology for Characterization of a Gasoline Direct Injection Closing Event Droplet Distribution
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The characteristics of gasoline sprayed directly into combustion chambers are of critical importance to engine out emissions and combustion system development. The optimization of the spray characteristics to match the in-cylinder flow field, chamber geometry, and spark location are vital tasks during the development of an engine combustion strategy. Furthermore, the presence of liquid fuel during combustion in Spark-Ignition (SI) engines causes increased hydro-carbon (HC) emissions . Euro 6, LEVIII, and US Tier 3 emissions regulations reduce the allowable particulate mass significantly from the previous standards. LEVIII standards reduce the acceptable particulate emission to 1 mg/mile . A good DISI strategy vaporizes the correct amount of fuel just in time for optimal power output with minimal emissions. The opening and closing phases of DISI injectors is crucial to this task as the spray produces larger droplets during both theses phases. This paper presents the preliminary results from a novel method to characterize the closing phase of DISI injection. A Design of Experiments (DOE) was used to determine the effect of pressure, temperature, and pulse-width of the fuel spray after the closing event. Experiments determined that the primary source of controlling the droplet size and the mass post injector closing for a given injector was the temperature. This paper will outline the results of the DOE for a specific injector, and describe the method used to characterize the injector closing behavior.
CitationSchroeter, R. and Meinhart, M., "Optical Methodology for Characterization of a Gasoline Direct Injection Closing Event Droplet Distribution," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0858, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0858.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Costanzo, V. and Heywood, J., "Effect of In-Cylinder Liquid Fuel Films on Engine-Out Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions for an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1712, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1712.
- Johnson, T., "Review of Vehicular Emissions Trends," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1152-1167, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0993.
- Fraser, N., Blaxill, H., Lumsden, G., and Bassett, M., "Challenges for Increased Efficiency through Gasoline Engine Downsizing," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):991-1008, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1053.
- Steimle, F., Kulzer, A., Richter, H., Schwarzenthal, D. et al., "Systematic Analysis and Particle Emission Reduction of Homogeneous Direct Injection SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0248, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0248.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M., and Harrington, D., "A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 970627, 1997, doi:10.4271/970627.
- Shelby, M., VanDerWege, B., and Hochgreb, S., "Early Spray Development in Gasoline Direct-Injected Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 980160, 1998, doi:10.4271/980160.
- Lee, J. and Nishida, K., "Breakup Process of an Initial Spray Injected by a D.I. Gasoline Injector-Simultaneous Measurement of Droplet Size and Velocity by Laser Sheet Image Processing and Particle Tracking Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3107, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3107.
- Parrish, S. and Farrell, P., "Transient Spray Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignited Fuel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 970629, 1997, doi:10.4271/970629.
- Chryssakis C., Assanis D., Lee J. and Nishida K., "Fuel Spray Simulation of High-Pressure Swirl Injector for DISI Engines and Comparison with Laser Diagnostic Measurements," SAW, Vols. 2003-01-0007, 2003.
- Lee, J. and Nishida, K., "Simultaneous Flow Field Measurement of D.I. Gasoline Spray and Entrained Ambient Air by LIF-PIV Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1115, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1115.
- Lai M., "Transient Microscopic Visualization of Direct INjection Diesel and Gasoline Fuel Spray," Proceeding s of the Second Internation Workshop on Advanced Spray Combustion no. IWASC9817, 1998.
- Jing, D., Shuai, S., Wang, Z., Li, Y. et al., "Development of a Turbulence-induced Breakup Model for Gasoline Spray Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0939, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0939.
- Kawahara, N., Tomita, E., Kasahara, D., Nakayama, T. et al., "Fuel Breakup Near Nozzle Exit of High-Pressure Swirl Injector for Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0542, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0542.
- Befrui, B., Aye, A., Spiekermann, P., Varble, D. et al., "GDi Skew-Angled Nozzle Flow and Near-Field Spray Analysis using Optical and X-Ray Imaging and VOF-LES Computational Fluid Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0255, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0255.
- Tree D. and Svensson K., "Soot Processes in Compression Ignition Engines," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 2007.
- Lee, J., Nishida, K., and Yamakama, M., "An Analysis of Ambient Air Entrainment into Split Injection D.I. Gasoline Spray by LIF-PIV Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2662, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2662.
- Joh, M., Huh, K., Yoo, J., and Lai, M., "Numerical Prediction and Validation of Fuel Spray Behavior in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3668, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3668.
- Zhao, F., Harrington, D., and Lai, M.-C., "Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines," (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 2002), ISBN:978-0-7680-0882-1.
- Ikeda, Y., Hosokawa, S., Sekihara, F., and Nakajima, T., "Cycle-Resolved PDA Measurement of Size-Classified Spray Structure of Air-Assist Injector," SAE Technical Paper 970631, 1997, doi:10.4271/970631.
- Anezaki, Y., Shirabe, N., Kanehara, K., and Sato, T., "3D Spray Measurement System for High Density Fields Using Laser Holography," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0739, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0739.
- Konrath, R., Schröder, W., and Limberg, W., "Three Dimensional Flow Measurements Within the Cylinder of a Motored Four-Valve Engine Using Holographic Particle-Image Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3493, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3493.
- Otsu N., "A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histogram," IEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 62-66, 1979.