This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study on Evaporation of Spherical Droplets Impinging on the Wall Using Volume of Fluid (VOF) Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper aims to extend the existing Volume of Fluid (VOF) model by implementing an evaporation sub-model in an open source Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software, OpenFOAM. The paper applies the new model to numerically study the evaporation of spherical n-heptane droplets impinging on a hot wall at atmospheric pressure and a temperature above the Leidenfrost temperature. Volume of Fluid (VOF) method is chosen to track the liquid gas interface and the capability of VOF method implemented in interDyMFoam solver of OpenFOAM to simulate hydrodynamics during droplet-droplet interaction and droplet-film interaction is explored. Firstly, the in-built solver is used to simulate problems in isothermal conditions and the simulation results are compared qualitatively with the published results to validate the solver. A numerical method for modeling heat and mass transfer during evaporation is implemented in conjunction with the VOF. An additional vapor phase is introduced apart from the liquid and gas phases to understand the mixing and diffusion of vapor and gas phases. The evaporation model is validated quantitatively and qualitatively with fundamental problems having analytical solutions and published results. The effect of mesh dependency was studied with meshes of three different levels of refinement. The effect of droplet number and arrangement on evaporation in film boiling regime is finally studied by three cases including Case 1 (single droplet), Case 2 (2 droplets) and Case 3 (4 droplets) impinging on hot wall at a fixed temperature and a constant non-dimensional distance between droplets. Droplet lift and spread, surface temperature, heat transfer, and evaporation rate are examined.
CitationPotham, S., Zhao, L., and Lee, S., "Numerical Study on Evaporation of Spherical Droplets Impinging on the Wall Using Volume of Fluid (VOF) Model," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0852, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0852.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Zhang, Z., Li, J., and Jiang, P.-X., "Experimental Investigation of Spray Cooling on Flat and Enhanced Surfaces," Applied Thermal Engineering 51(1-2):102-111, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.08.057.
- Khudhair, A.M. and Farid, M.M., "A Review on Energy Conservation in Building Applications with Thermal Storage by Latent Heat Using Phase Change Materials," Energy conversion and management 45(2):263-275, 2004.
- Vujanović, M., Petranović, Z., Edelbauer, W., and Duić, N., "Modelling Spray and Combustion Processes in Diesel Engine by Using the Coupled Eulerian-Eulerian and Eulerian-Lagrangian Method," Energy Conversion and Management 125(15-25, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.03.072.
- Dukowicz, J.K., "A Particle-Fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays," Journal of Computational Physics 35(2):229-253, 1980, doi:10.1016/0021-9991(80)90087-X.
- Harlow, F.H. and Amsden, A.A., "Numerical Calculation of Multiphase Fluid Flow," Journal of Computational Physics 17(1):19-52, 1975, doi:10.1016/0021-9991(75)90061-3.
- Hirt, C.W. and Nichols, B.D., "Volume of Fluid (Vof) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries," Journal of Computational Physics 39(1):201-225, 1981, doi:10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5.
- Sussman, M., Smereka, P., and Osher, S., "A Level Set Approach for Computing Solutions to Incompressible Two-Phase Flow," Journal of Computational Physics 114(1):146-159, 1994, doi:10.1006/jcph.1994.1155.
- Fukai, J., Zhao, Z., Poulikakos, D., Megaridis, C.M., et al., "Modeling of the Deformation of a Liquid Droplet Impinging Upon a Flat Surface," Physics of Fluids A 5(11):2588-2599, 1993, doi:10.1063/1.858724.
- Nikolopoulos, N., Theodorakakos, A., and Bergeles, G., "Three-Dimensional Numerical Investigation of a Droplet Impinging Normally onto a Wall Film," Journal of computational physics 225(1):322-341, 2007.
- Welch, S.W.J. and Wilson, J., "A Volume of Fluid Based Method for Fluid Flows with Phase Change," Journal of Computational Physics 160(2):662-682, 2000, doi:10.1006/jcph.2000.6481.
- Tanguy, S. and Berlemont, A., "Application of a Level Set Method for Simulation of Droplet Collisions," International journal of multiphase flow 31(9):1015-1035, 2005.
- Sun, D., Xu, J., and Chen, Q., "Modeling of the Evaporation and Condensation Phase-Change Problems with Fluent," Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals 66(4):326-342, 2014.
- Hardt, S. and Wondra, F., "Evaporation Model for Interfacial Flows Based on a Continuum-Field Representation of the Source Terms," Journal of Computational Physics 227(11):5871-5895, 2008.
- Schlottke, J. and Weigand, B., "Direct numerical simulation of evaporating droplets," Journal of computational physics (227) (10)5215-5237, 2008.
- Nikolopoulos, N., Theodorakakos, A., and Bergeles, G., "A Numerical Investigation of the Evaporation Process of a Liquid Droplet Impinging onto a Hot Substrate," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 50(1-2):303-319, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.06.012.
- Nguyen, T.K. and Avedisian, C.T., "Numerical Solution for Film Evaporation of a Spherical Liquid Droplet on an Isothermal and Adiabatic Surface," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 30(7):1497-1509, 1987, doi:10.1016/0017-9310(87)90181-5.
- Chatzikyriakou, D., Walker, S.P., Hewitt, G.F., Narayanan, C., et al., "Comparison of Measured and Modelled Droplet-Hot Wall Interactions," Applied Thermal Engineering 29(7):1398-1405, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.02.012.
- Mahulkar, A.V., Marin, G.B., and Heynderickx, G.J., "Droplet-Wall Interaction Upon Impingement of Heavy Hydrocarbon Droplets on a Heated Wall," Chemical Engineering Science 130(275-289, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ces.2015.03.012.
- Weller, H.G., Tabor, G., Jasak, H., and Fureby, C., "A Tensorial Approach to Computational Continuum Mechanics Using Object-Oriented Techniques," Computers in Physics 12(6):620-631, 1998, doi:doi:10.1063/1.168744.
- Ashgriz, N. and Poo, J.Y., "Coalescence and Separation in Binary Collisions of Liquid Drops," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 221(183-204, 1990, doi:10.1017/S0022112090003536.
- Keller, P., Nikrityuk, P., Meyer, B., and Müller-Hagedorn, M., "Numerical Simulation of Evaporating Droplets with Chemical Reactions Using a Volume of Fluid Method," presented at 7th International Conference on Multiphase Flows, 2010.