This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Autoignition and Combustion of ULSD and JP8 during Cold Starting of a High Speed Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Cold starting problems of diesel engines are caused mainly by the failure of the auto-ignition process or the subsequent combustion of the rest of the charge. The problems include long cranking periods and combustion instability leading to an increase in fuel consumption in addition to the emission of undesirable unburned hydrocarbons which appear in the exhaust as white smoke. The major cause of these problems is the low temperature and pressure of the charge near the end of the compression stroke and/or the poor ignition quality of the fuel. This paper presents the results of an experimental investigation of cold starting of a high speed diesel engine with ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) and JP8 (Jet Propulsion) fuels at ambient temperature (25°C). A detailed analysis is made of the autoignition and combustion of the two fuels in the first few cycles in the cold start transient. In addition, a comparison is made between these processes for the two fuels during idle operation.
CitationSane, S., Badawy, T., and Henein, N., "Autoignition and Combustion of ULSD and JP8 during Cold Starting of a High Speed Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0797, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0797.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Heywood, J., 1988, Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines, McGraw-Hills and Hall, London.
- George, R., Badawy, T., and Henein, N., "Experimental Study for the Effect of Fuel Properties on the Ion Current, Combustion, and Emission in a High Speed Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1263, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1263.
- Zahdeh, A., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "Diesel Cold Starting: Actual Cycle Analysis Under Border-Line Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 900441, 1990, doi:10.4271/900441.
- Henein, N., Zahdeh, A., Yassine, M., and Bryzik, W., "Diesel Engine Cold Starting: Combustion Instability," SAE Technical Paper 920005, 1992, doi:10.4271/920005.
- Yassine, M., Tagomori, M., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "White Smoke Emissions Under Cold Starting of Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 960249, 1996, doi:10.4271/960249.
- Hara, H., Itoh, Y., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "Effect of Cetane Number with and without Additive on Cold Startability and White Smoke Emissions in a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1476, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1476.
- Han, Z., Henein, N., Nitu, B., and Bryzik, W., "Diesel Engine Cold Start Combustion Instability and Control Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1237, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1237.
- Pastor J, Bermúdez, V., García-Oliver, J., Ramírez-Hernández, J., "Influence of spray glow plug configuration on cold start combustion for high speed direct injection diesel engines," Energy 36 (2011) 5486-5496.
- Pastor, J., García-Oliver, J., Pastor, J., Ramírez-Hernández, J., "Ignition and combustion development for high speed direct injection diesel engines under low temperature cold start conditions," Fuel 90 (2011) 1556-1566.
- Desantes, J., García-Oliver, J., Pastor, J., Ramírez-Hernández, J., "Influence of nozzle geometry on ignition and combustion for high-speed direct injection diesel engines under cold start conditions" Fuel 90 (2011) 3359-3368.
- Payri, F., Broatch, A., Salavert, J., Martín, J., "Investigation of Diesel combustion using multiple injection strategies for idling after cold start of passenger-car engines," Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 34 (2010) 857-865
- Jayakumar, C., Zheng, Z., Joshi, U., Bryzik, W. et al., "Effect of Intake Pressure and Temperature on the Auto-Ignition of Fuels with Different Cetane Number and Volatility," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1317, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1317.
- Nargunde, J., Jayakumar, C., Sinha, A., Acharya, K. et al., "Comparison between Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of JP-8 and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1123, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1123.
- Schihl, P. and Hoogterp-Decker, L., "On the Ignition Behavior of JP-8 in Military Relevant Diesel Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):1-13, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0119.