This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - Nozzle Included Angle Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The increased availability of natural gas (NG) in the United States (US) and its relatively low cost versus diesel fuel has increased interest in the conversion of medium duty (MD) and heavy duty (HD) engines to NG fueled combustion systems. The aim for development for these NG engines is to realize fuel cost savings and increase operating range while reduce harmful emissions and maintaining durability.
Traditionally, port-fuel injection (PFI) or premixed NG spark-ignited (SI) combustion systems have been used for light duty LD, and MD engines with widespread use in the US and Europe . However, this technology exhibits poor thermal efficiency and is load limited due to knock phenomenon that has prohibited its use for HD engines. Spark Ignited Direct Injection (SIDI) can be used to create a partially stratified combustion (PSC) mixture of NG and air during the compression stroke. PSC promises to deliver improved thermal efficiency by avoiding excessive premixing and extending the lean limits which helps to extend the knock and load limit.
In this work, a CAT 3401 SCOTE single cylinder engine with 14:1 compression ratio (CR) was used to investigate SIDI NG combustion using an integrated spark injector-igniter. The injector nozzle included angle (NIA) was varied from 80 degrees to 150 degrees to determine the impact on fuel consumption, combustion stability, phasing, and emissions. Start of injection (SOI) and spark ignition (SPK) timings were determined from previous work for a near stoichiometric operation (AFR 16 to 20:1). The nozzle included angle of 100 degrees resulted in up to 43% indicated thermal efficiency across a part-load operating range 3 to 11 bar and provided the best trade-off between fuel economy, emissions and combustion stability. This work demonstrated the optimization potential of a 100 degree NIA for high thermal efficiency of a heavy duty engine over the low load operating conditions.
CitationZoldak, P. and Naber, J., "Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - Nozzle Included Angle Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0781, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0781.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Kakaee , A. , Paykani , A. Research and Development of Natural-Gas Fueled Engines in Iran Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26 2013 805 821 2013
- Eaves , N. http://www.biofuelnet.ca/2015/11/04/renewable-natural-gas-lower-soot-emissions/ 2016
- Karagoz , Y. , Sandalci , T. , Koylu , U. , Dalkilic , A. , Wongwises , S. Effect of the use of natural gas-diesel fuel mixture on performance, emissions, and combustion characteristics of a compression ignition engine Advances in Mechanical Engineering 8 4 1 13 2016
- https://www.sae.org/ohmag/features/mahlechart/mahlechart.pdf Mahle Powertrain April 2015
- Das , L.M. , Gulati , R. , Gupta , P.K. A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine Using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas As Alternative Fuels International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 2000 783 793 10.1016/S0360-3199(99)00103-2
- Tilagone , R. , Venturi , S. Development of Natural Gas Demonstrator Based on an Urban Vehicle with a Down-Sized Turbocharged Engine Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 59 2004 6 581 591
- Zoldak , P. and Naber , J. Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - Start of Injection and Spark Timing Effects SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2813 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2813
- Zoldak , P. and Naber , J. Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - AFR and EGR Dilution Effects SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2808 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2808
- Kalam , M.A. , Masjuki , H.H. An Experimental Investigation of High Performance Natural Gas Engine with Direct Injection Journal of Energy 36 3563 3571 2011
- Mohamad , T. , Yusoff , A. , Abdullah , S. , Jermy , M. et al. The Combustion and Performance of a Converted Direct Injection Compressed Natural Gas Engine using Spark Plug Fuel Injector SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0078 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0078
- Douailler , B. , Ravet , F. , Delpech , V. , Soleri , D. et al. Direct Injection of CNG on High Compression Ratio Spark Ignition Engine: Numerical and Experimental Investigation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0923 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0923
- Zoldak , P. , John Joseph , J. , Shelley , W. , Johnson , J. et al. Characterization of Partially Stratified Direct Injection of Natural Gas for Spark-Ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0937 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0937
- Bartolucci , L. , Cordiner , S. , Mulone , V. , Rocco , V. et al. Natural Gas Partially Stratified Charge Combustion: Extended Analysis of Experimental Validation and Study of Turbulence Impact on Flame Propagation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0596 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0596
- Yu , J. , Vuorinen , V. , Hillamo , H. , Sarjovaara , T. et al. An Experimental Study on High Pressure Pulsed Jets for DI Gas Engine Using Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1655 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1655
- Yu , J. , Hillamo , H. , Sarjovaara , T. , Hulkkonen , T. et al. Experimental Study on Structure and Mixing of Low-Pressure Gas Jet Using Tracer-Based PLIF Technique SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0039 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0039
- Rubas , P. , Paul , M. , Martin , G. , Coverdill , R. et al. Methane Jet Penetration in a Direct-Injection Natural Gas Engine SAE Technical Paper 980143 1998 10.4271/980143
- Douglas , D. Fuel Injector Spark Plug USPTO US 6955154 B1 2005
- Leshner , E. , Leshner , M.D. Fuel vapor injector and igniter system for internal combustion engines USPTO, US RE29978 E 1979
- Sevik , J. , Pamminger , M. , Wallner , T. , Scarcelli , R. et al. Performance, Efficiency and Emissions Assessment of Natural Gas Direct Injection compared to Gasoline and Natural Gas Port-Fuel Injection in an Automotive Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 1130 1142 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0806