This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Study on the Effects of Hot EGR on the Operation of Natural Gas Engine Ignited by Diesel-Butanol Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Butanol, which is a renewable biofuel, has been regarded as a promising alternative fuel for internal combustion engines. When blended with diesel and applied to pilot ignited natural gas engines, butanol has the capability to achieve lower emissions without sacrifice on thermal efficiency. However, high blend ratio of butanol is limited by its longer ignition delay caused by the higher latent heat and higher octane number, which restricts the improvement of emission characteristics. In this paper, the potential of increasing butanol blend ratio by adding hot exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is investigated. 3D CFD model based on a detailed kinetic mechanism was built and validated by experimental results of natural gas engine ignited by diesel/butanol blends. The effects of hot EGR is then revealed by the simulation results of the combustion process, heat release traces and also the emissions under different diesel/butanol blend ratios. To get a better fundamental understanding of the EGR effects, the explanations for the effects induced by hot EGR is aided by 0D simulations. The results indicate that the ignitable range of n-butanol blend ratio can be extended from 40% to 60% by the adoption of hot EGR. Besides, the thermal efficiency could be improved by adding appropriate fraction of hot EGR at n-butanol ratios higher than 30%. Generally, optimized thermal efficiency and emission characteristics of NOx and CO can be achieved with adding hot EGR by 5% and 10%. It is also find that improvements in PAH emissions can be obtained by adding hot EGR at n-butanol blend ratios smaller than 30% and PAHs with more than two rings could be reduced by adding n-butanol.
CitationLi, M., Meng, X., HOU, J., Gao, S. et al., "A Numerical Study on the Effects of Hot EGR on the Operation of Natural Gas Engine Ignited by Diesel-Butanol Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0760, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0760.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Masurier, J. B., Foucher, F., Dayma, G., and Dagaut, P., "Ozone applied to the homogeneous charge compression ignition engine to control alcohol fuels combustion," Applied Energy, 160, 566–580, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.08.004.
- Chotwichien, A., Luengnaruemitchai, A., and Jai-In, S., "Utilization of palm oil alkyl esters as an additive in ethanol-diesel and butanol-diesel blends," Fuel, 88,1618–1624, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2009.02.047.
- Yao, M., Wang, H., Zheng, Z., and Yue, Y., "Experimental study of n-butanol additive and multi-injection on HD diesel engine performance and emissions," Fuel, 89(9), 2191–2201, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.04.008.
- Rakopoulos, C. D., Rakopoulos, D. C., Giakoumis, E. G., and Kyritsis, D. C., "The combustion of n-butanol/diesel fuel blends and its cyclic variability in a direct injection diesel engine," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 225(3), 289–308, 2011, doi:10.1177/2041296710394256.
- Valentino, G., Corcione, F. E., Iannuzzi, S. E., and Serra, S., "Experimental study on performance and emissions of a high speed diesel engine fuelled with n-butanol diesel blends under premixed low temperature combustion," Fuel, 92(1), 295–307, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.07.035.
- Liu, H., Li, S., Zheng, Z., Xu, J., and Yao, M, "Effects of n-butanol, 2-butanol, and methyl octynoate addition to diesel fuel on combustion and emissions over a wide range of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) rates," Applied energy, 112, 246–256, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.06.023.
- Cheng, X., Li, S., Yang, J., and Liu, B., "Investigation into partially premixed combustion fueled with N-butanol-diesel blends," Renewable Energy, 86, 723–732, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2015.08.067.
- Visakhamoorthy, S., Wen, J. Z., Sivoththaman, S., and Koch, C. R., "Numerical study of a butanol/heptane fuelled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine utilizing negative valve overlap," Applied energy, 94, 166–173, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.01.047.
- Zhou, X., Song, M., Huang, H., Yang, R., Wang, M., and Sheng, J.,. "Numerical Study of the Formation of Soot Precursors during Low-Temperature Combustion of an-Butanol–Diesel Blend," Energy & Fuels, 28(11), 7149–7158, 2014, doi:10.1021/ef501370u.
- Cho H., He B., "Spark ignition natural gas engines—A review," Energy Conversion and Management, 48: 608–618, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2006.05.023.
- Soylu S., "Prediction of knock limited operating conditions of a natural gas engine," Energy Conversion and Management, 46(1): 121–138, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2004.02.014.
- Azimov U., Tomita E., Kawahara N., Harada Y., "Premixed mixture ignition in the end-gas region(PREMIER) combustion in a natural gas dual-fuel engine: operating range and exhaust emissions," Int. J. Engine. Res., 12(5): 484–497, 2011, doi:10.1177/1468087411409664.
- Liu S., Zhou L., Wang Z., and Ren J., "Combustion characteristics of compressed natural gas/diesel dual-fuel turbocharged compressed ignition engine," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, P. I. Mech. Eng. D-J. Automob. Eng., 217(9), 833–838, 2003, doi:10.1177/095440700321700909.
- Abd Alla G.H., Soliman H.A., Badr O.A., Abd Rabbo M.F., "Effect of injection timing on the performance of a dual fuel engine," Energy Conversion and Management, 43(2), 269–77, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00168-0.
- Tomita E., Harada Y., Kawahara N., and Sakane A., "Effect of EGR on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Supercharged Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine Ignited with Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1832, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1832.
- Papagiannakis, R. G., Zannis, T. C., Yfantis, E. A., and Hountalas, D. T., "Comparative Evaluation of the effect of intake charge temperature, pilot fuel quantity and injection advance on Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Performance Characteristics and Emitted Pollutions," Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition IMECE 2009-10435, 2009, doi:10.1115/IMECE2009-10435.
- Shen J., Qin J., Yao M., "Turbocharged diesel/CNG Dual-fuel Engines with Intercooler: Combustion, Emissions and Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3082, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3082.
- Nwafor, O. M. I., "Effect of choice of pilot fuel on the performance of natural gas in diesel engines," Renewable energy, 21(3), 495–504, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0960-1481(99)00132-9.
- Meng, X., Nithyanandan, K., Lee, T., Li, Y., ., "An Experimental Study of the Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine under Diesel-1-Butanol/CNG Dual Fuel Operation Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0788, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0788.
- Pang, B., Xie, M. Z., Jia, M., and Liu, Y. D., "Development of a phenomenological soot model coupled with a skeletal PAH mechanism for practical engine simulation," Energy & Fuels, 27(3), 1699–1711, 2013, doi:10.1021/ef400033f.
- Huang J., Hill P.G., Bushe W.K., Munshi S.R., "Shock-tube study of methane ignition under engine-relevant conditions: experiments and modeling," Combustion and flame, 136(1), 25–42, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2003.09.002.
- Wang, H., Reitz, R. D., Yao, M., Yang, B., ., "Development of an n-heptane-n-butanol-PAH mechanism and its application for combustion and soot prediction," Combust. Flame, 160(3), 504–519, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2012.11.017.
- Hartmann, M., Gushterova, I., Fikri, M., Schulz, C., Schießl, R., and Maas, U., "Auto-ignition of toluene-doped n-heptane and iso-octane/air mixtures: High-pressure shock-tube experiments and kinetics modeling," Combustion and Flame, 158(1), 172–178, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.08.005.
- Heufer, K. A., Fernandes, R. X., Olivier, H., Beeckmann, J., Röhl, O., and Peters, N., "Shock tube investigations of ignition delays of n-butanol at elevated pressures between 770 and 1250K," Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33(1), 359–366, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2010.06.052.
- Ra, Y., and Reitz, R. D., "A combustion model for IC engine combustion simulations with multi-component fuels," Combustion and flame, 158(1), 69–90, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.07.019.
- Oßwald, P. Güldenberg, H. Kohse-Höinghaus, K. Yang, B. Yuan, T. Qi, F., , Combust. Flame 158 (2011) 2–15.
- Inal, F. Senkan, S.M., Combust. Flame 131 (2002) 16–28.
- Amsden A., “Kiva-3v, release 2, improvements to kiva-3v,”Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, Report No. LA-UR-99-915, 1999.