This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Comparison between Stratified Flame Ignition and Micro Flame Ignition in a Gasoline SI-CAI Hybrid Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI), also known as Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI), has been the subject of extensive research because of their ability to providing simultaneous reduction in fuel consumption and NOx emissions in a gasoline engine. However, due to its limited operation range, combustion mode switching between CAI and spark ignition (SI) combustion is essential to cover the overall operational range of a gasoline engine for passenger car applications. Previous research has shown that the SI-CAI hybrid combustion has the potential to control the ignition timing and heat release process during both steady state and transient operations. However, it was found that the SI-CAI hybrid combustion process is often characterized with large cycle-to-cycle variations, due to the flame instability at high dilution conditions.
In order to control the heat release process stably and expand the operating range of SI-CAI hybrid combustion, based on the idea that increased flame speed would improve the combustion stability at diluted conditions, the stratified flame ignition (SFI) and micro flame ignition strategy (MFI) involved in the SI-CAI hybrid operation were analyzed respectively based on the engine experiments carried out on a single cylinder research engine equipped with both intake and exhaust mechanical variable valve actuation systems. The distribution of fuel concentration and activity were named as SFI and MFI respectively due to their characteristics. The premixed homogenous dilution charge as main fuel was injected by intake port injector. Meanwhile, the stratified gasoline fuel (in SFI) or DME (in MFI) injected by direct injector in the cylinder was used as an enhanced flame kernel. The results show that both SFI and MFI strategy are useful to expand the dilution combustion range and adjust the combustion phase of SI-CAI hybrid combustion. But SFI strategy faced the high cyclic variation of heat release process in continuous cycles, while the key problem of MFI is knock and the worse caused by fast heat release. Both of these two strategies require optimization to be feasible to combustion control at different conditions.
CitationChen, T., Xie, H., Li, H., Fu, X. et al., "Experimental Comparison between Stratified Flame Ignition and Micro Flame Ignition in a Gasoline SI-CAI Hybrid Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0737, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0737.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Zhao Fuquan (Frank) , Asmus Thomas W. , Assanis Dennis N. et al. Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine: Key Research and Development Issues [M] Society of Automotive Engineers 2002
- Zhao H Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) and Controlled Autoignition (CAI) combustion engines for automotive industry Cambridge Woodhead Publishing Limited 2007
- Persson , H. , Hultqvist , A. , Johansson , B. , and Remón , A. Investigation of the Early Flame Development in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using High Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0212 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0212
- Weinrotter , M. , Wintner , E. , Iskra , K. , Neger , T. et al. Optical Diagnostics of Laser-Induced and Spark Plug-Assisted HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0129 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0129
- Chang , Y. , Wooldridge , M. , and Bohac , S. Extending the Dilution Limit of Spark Ignition Combustion via Fuel Injection during Negative Valve Overlap SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0671 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0671
- Wang , Z. , Wang , J. , Shuai , S. , Tian , G. , An , X. , Ma , Q. Study of the Effect of Spark Ignition on Gasoline HCCI Combustion Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 220 6 817 825 2006
- Chen , T. , Xie , H. , Li , L. , Yu , W. et al. Continuous Load Adjustment Strategy of a Gasoline HCCI-SI Engine Fully Controlled by Exhaust Gas SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1408 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1408
- Manofsky , L. , Vavra , J. , Assanis , D. , and Babajimopoulos , A. Bridging the Gap between HCCI and SI: Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1179 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1179
- Polovina , D. , McKenna , D. , Wheeler , J. , Sterniak , J. et al. Steady-State Combustion Development of a Downsized Multi-Cylinder Engine with Range Extended HCCI/SACI Capability SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 504 519 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1655
- Mendrea , B. , Chang , Y. , Akkus , Y. , Sterniak , J. et al. Investigations of the Effect of Ambient Condition on SACI Combustion Range SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0828 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0828
- Daisho , Y. , Yaeo , T. , Koseki , T. , Saito , T. et al. Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas SAE Technical Paper 950465 1995 10.4271/950465
- Xie Hui , Xu Kang , Wan Minggang , Chen Tao and Zhao Hua Investigations into the influence of internal and external exhaust gas recirculation on the combustion stability in an optical gasoline spark ignition engine Proc IMechE Part D: J Automobile Engineering 2015 229 11 1514 1528
- Shi Xian , Chen Jyh-Yuan , Chen Zheng Numerical study of laminar flame speed of fuel-stratified hydrogen/air flames Combustion and Flame 163 2016 394 405
- Wang , X. , Zhao , H. , Xie , H. , and He , B. Numerical Study of the Effect of Piston Shapes and Fuel Injection Strategies on In-Cylinder Conditions in a PFI/GDI Gasoline Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 7 4 1888 1899 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2670
- Zhang , HF ; Seo , K ; Zhao , H Combustion and emission analysis of the direct DME injection enabled and controlled auto-ignition gasoline combustion engine operation [J] Fuel 107 800 814 10.1016/j.fuel.2013.01.067
- Xie Hui , Xu Kang , Chen Tao , Zhao Hua Investigations into the Influence of Dimethyl Ether (DME) Micro Flame Ignition on the Combustion and Cyclic Variation Characteristics of Flame Propagation-Auto-ignition Hybrid Combustion in an Optical Engine Combustion Science and Technology 10.1080/00102202.2016.1223060
- Wang Xinyan , Zhao Hua , Xie Hui Effect of piston shapes and fuel injection strategies on stoichiometric stratified flame ignition (SFI) hybrid combustion in a PFI/DI gasoline engine by numerical simulations Energy Conversion and Management 98 2015 387 400
- Chen , T. , Xie , H. , Li , L. , Yu , W. et al. Expanding the Low Load Limit of HCCI Combustion Process Using EIVO Strategy in a 4VVAS Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1121 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1121
- Chen Tao , Zhao Hua , Xie Hui and He Bangquan Analysis of cyclic variations during mode switching between spark ignition and controlled auto-ignition combustion operation International Journal of Engine Research 2015 16 3 356 365 10.1177/1468087414555733
- Temel , V. and Sterniak , J. Characterization of SACI Combustion for Use in Model Based Controls SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1289 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1289