This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion System Development of a New DX12 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine with Mechanical Fuel Injection Equipment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Doosan Infracore Corporation has developed the combustion system of a brand-new DX12 heavy-duty diesel engine equipped for 38 ~ 50 tonnage excavators and 4.2 ~ 4.5 m3 bucket-size wheel loaders which are mainly targeted to emerging countries. A variety of advanced combustion technologies were incorporated in the design of the DX12 engine to meet Tier3 emission legislation even with a mechanically controlled fuel injection equipment while ensuring around 2 % improvement in fuel consumption as well as over 8 % increase in rated power than its Tier2 predecessor. Mechanical-type diesel engine has a couple of significant advantages especially in terms of cost and maintenance compared to electronic-type counterpart. In addition, mechanical fuel system is better able to tolerate a low fuel quality which is potentially possible in emerging countries. A key enabler for the successful development of mechanical-type Tier3 diesel engine without any aftertreatment system was the advanced combustion design technologies driven by Doosan Infracore's own CAE (computer aided engineering) capabilities. The combustion system of the DX12 Tier3 engine features an optimized in-cylinder bowl geometry which enhances internal vertical motion to lead a better combustion quality, along with a proper targeting of fuel spray. This engine also employs a cooled EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system with the Doosan Infracore's patented exhaust venturi technology that enables an adoption of a larger turbocharger to make the engine possible to bring a better breathing performance in high load conditions and to operate in a higher altitude without derating torque. Moreover, to ensure a further margin of engine-out NOx, the combustion system adopts a lower compression ratio by enlarging inner-bowl diameter. In this article, the design process and technical specifications applied in developing the combustion system of the DX12 Tier3 engine are described in detail.
- Tae Joong Wang - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Jong Yoon Lee - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Seung Kwon Hwang - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Ja Yun Cho - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Jeong Keun Park - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Woong Gun Lee - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Tae Sub Kim - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Sang Won Jeong - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
- Tae Kuk Kim - Doosan Infracore Co., Ltd.
CitationWang, T., Lee, J., Hwang, S., Cho, J. et al., "Combustion System Development of a New DX12 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine with Mechanical Fuel Injection Equipment," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0694, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0694.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Johnson, T., "Vehicular Emissions in Review," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):1258–1275, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0919.
- Johnson, T., "Review of Vehicular Emissions Trends," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1152–1167, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0993.
- Nikzadfar, K., and Shamekhi, A.H., "More than one decade with development of common-rail diesel engine management systems: a literature review on modelling, control, estimation and calibration," Proc IMechE Part D: J Automobile Engineering, 2015, 229(8), 1110–1142.
- Babu, P., Lakshminarayanan, P., Setty, K., Selvakumar, N. , "Euro-3 Compliant Diesel Engine Using a Cost Effective Fuel Injection Pump without Electronics," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1504, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1504.
- Chaufour, P., Millet, G., Hedna, M., Neyrat, S. , "Advanced Modeling of a Heavy-Truck Unit-Injector System and Its Applications in the Engine Design Process," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0020, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0020.
- Yoo, D., Song, J., Kim, Y., Jung, W. , "Fuel Consumption Improvement of 2.4L ULPC Diesel Engine by Optimizing the Combustion System; Nozzle, Swirl Ratio and Piston Bowl Geometry," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0785, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0785.
- Halsall, S., Luchansky, K., Zeng, Y., Davis, R. , "Development of the Combustion System for the General Motors Fifth Generation "Small Block" Engine Family," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1732, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1732.
- Herrmann, H., Nielsen, B., Gropp, C. and Lehmann, J., "Mercedes-Benz Medium-Duty Commercial Engines Part 1: Engine Concept and Exhaust Aftertreatment," MTZ, Vol. 73, pp.4–11, 2012.
- Lee, K.W., Jang, K.I., Lee, J.J. and Hur, D.H., "The New Hyundai/Kia 1.1-L Three-Cylinder Diesel Engine," MTZ, Vol. 73, pp.16–21, 2012.
- Noble, A., Nicol, A., Min, K., Choi., N. , "Development of a New Engine to Meet Tier 4 Final Using Advanced Combustion and Aftertreatment Technologies," 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, pp.1207–1222, 2013.
- Wang, T.J., Lee, J.Y., Shim, E.J., Kim, D.S. , "Performance Evaluation on the Addition of Low-pressure Loop EGR in a Commercial Diesel Engine," Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.105–110, 2011.
- Jiang, G., Lu, L., and Wen, M., "Engine Cycle Simulation and Development Engine of a Gasoline," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4103, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4103.
- Lee, J., Lee, S., Kim, J., and Kim, D., "Bowl Shape Design Optimization for Engine-Out PM Reduction in Heavy Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0789, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0789.
- Nakatani, K., Hashizume, T., Ogawa, T., Nishida, K. , "Toyota's Innovative High Efficiency Diesel Combustion Concept," 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, pp.165–186, 2014.
- Ge, H., Shi, Y., Reitz, R., Wickman, D. , "Engine Development Using Multi-dimensional CFD and Computer Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0360, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0360.
- Ricardo, WAVE 8.4 Help System.
- Amsden A. KIVA-3V, Release 2, Improvements to KIVA-3V. LA Report LA-UR-99-915, 1999.
- Kee, R.J., Rupley, F.M. and Miller, J.A., CHEMKIN-II: A Fortran Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gasphase Chemical Kinetics. Sandia Report SAND 89-8009, 1989.
- Lee, J.Y., Lee, S.Y., Park, J.K. and Wang, T.J., "A Characteristic Study and Optimization of In-cylinder Configuration for Particulate Matters Reduction in an Off-Highway Diesel Engine with Mechanical Fuel Injection System," Proc IMechE Part D: J Automobile Engineering, 2016, doi:10.1177/0954407016663957.
- Ricardo, Diesel3D 8.4 Help System.