This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation into Occurrence of Megaknock and Auto-Ignition in GTDI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The performance of boosted gasoline engines is limited at high loads by knock, stochastic Low Speed Pre-Ignition, and Megaknock. An investigation has been carried out on the occurrence of abnormal combustion and megaknock in a 1.6 L GTDI engine with the aim to determine the causes of such phenomena. A classification of abnormal combustion events and causes is presented in order to facilitate a consistent terminology. The experiments specifically focus on the effects of exhaust residual gas on occurrence of megaknock in multi-cylinder engines. The results showed that while a misfire will not lead to megaknock, a very late combustion in one cycle, in one cylinder may lead to megaknock in the following cycle in the same or adjacent cylinder. Additionally, a recently developed multi-zone model was used to analyze the role of residual gas on auto-ignition. It was found that residual gas from a late combustion event may in fact lead to auto-ignition in the following cycle; the composition of the residual gas and the presence of partially burned hydrocarbon species were found to be critical.
CitationKhosravi, M., Ruhland, H., Lorenz, T., and Weber, C., "Investigation into Occurrence of Megaknock and Auto-Ignition in GTDI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0690, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0690.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Schulte H. and Wirth M., "Internal Combustion Engines for the Future," proceedings of ICAT, Istanbul, Turkey, 2004.
- Pischinger S. , Internal Combustion Engines I, II Lecture Notes,Aachen: RWTH, 2007.
- Heywood J., Internal Combustion Engine Fundementals, US: Mcgraw-Hill, 1988.
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M., "Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246–273, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Amann M. and Alger, T. "The Effect of EGR on Low Speed Pre Ignition in Boosted SI Engines," USA, 2011.
- Amann, M. Mehta D. and Alger, T. "Engine Operating Condition and Gasoline Fuel Composition Effects on Low-Speed Pre Ignition in High Performance Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines," USA, 2011.
- Brehob, D. "System and method to control pre-ignition in an internal combustion engine," Ford Global Technologies, Dearborn, US, 2007.
- Dahnz, C. Han K. and Spicher, U. "Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines," USA, 2010.
- Geringer B. and Hofmann, P. "Comparison of the Phenomena of Autoignition in Highly Charged SI Engines with External and Internal Mixture Formation Regarding Influencing Variables, Mechanisms and Preventive Measures," in World Automative Congress, Japan,2006.
- Haenel, P., Seyfried, P., Kleeberg, H., and Tomazic D., "Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0343. h
- Han K. and Sauter, W. "3D Visualization of Spark-Ignition Combustion: Practical Examples of Flame Propagation, Abnormal Combustion and Controlled Compression Ignition," in 8th International Symposium on Internal Combustion Diagnostics, Baden Baden, Germany,2008.
- Karim G., "A Dimensionless Criterion for Predicting the Onset of Knock in Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1992, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1992.
- Manz P. and Daniel, M. "Pre-Ignition in Highly-Charged Turbo-Charged Engines.Analysis Procedure and Results," in 8th International Symposium on Internal Combustion Diagnostics, Germany,2008.
- Mogi K. and Hashizume, K. "Analysis and avoidance of pre-ignition in S.I. gasoline engines," JSAE Review, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 1998.
- Peterson B. and Reuss,D. "High-speed imaging analysis of misfires in a spray-guided direct injection engine," in Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2011.
- Vangraefschepe and F. Zaccardi J. , "Analysis of destructive abnormal combustions appearing at high load and low engine speed on high performance gasoline engines," in The Spark Ignition Engine of the Future, France,2007.
- Zaccardi and J. Duval L. , "Development of Specific Tools for Analysis and Quantification of Pre-ignition in a Boosted SI Engine," in Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Italy,2009.
- Zahdeh and A. Rothenberger P. , "Diagnosing Engine Combustion Using High Speed Photography in Conjunction with CFD," in 8th International Symposium on Internal Combustion Diagnostics, Baden Baden, Germany,2008.
- Chapman and E. Costanzo V. , "A Literature Review of Abnormal Ignition by Fuel and Lubricant Derivatives," SAE International powertrains, fuels & lubricants meeting, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 107–142, 2015.
- Peters N. , "Combustion Theory," RWTH Aachen University, 2010.
- Fickett D. , "Detonation," University of California press, 1979.
- Maly, R., Klein, R., Peters, N., and Kðnig G., "Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Knock Induced Surface Destruction," SAE Technical Paper 900025, 1990, doi:10.4271/900025. d
- Bates and L. Bradley D. , "Deflagrative, auto-ignitive, and detonative propagation regines in engines," Combustion and flame, vol. 175, pp. 118–122, 2016.
- Peters, N., Kerschgens, B., and Paczko G., "Super-Knock Prediction Using a Refined Theory of Turbulence," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):953–967, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1109.k
- Borman, G. "In-Cylinder heat transfer research at the U.W. Engine Research Center," in International Symposium comodia, Japan,1990.
- Chang, J., Güralp, O., Filipi, Z., Assanis, D., "New Heat Transfer Correlation for an HCCI Engine Derived from Measurements of Instantaneous Surface Heat Flux," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2996, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2996.
- Chengke and L. Karim G. , "A 3D-Simulation with Detailed Chemical Kinetics of Combustion and Quenching in an HCCI Engine," China, 2008.
- Khosravi, M., Harihar, A., Pitsch, H. Weber, C., "Modeling and Numerical Investigation of Auto-Ignition and Megaknock in Boosted Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0519, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0519.
- Golovichev V., "Dr. Valeri Golovichev Homepage," 2010. [Online]. Available: http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~valeri/.
- Brunt and M. Smith G. , "Examples of different types of abnormal combustion in Fox Engines," Ford Motor Company-EPDFOE-2011-182, 2011.