This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Timing and Location of Hotspot on Super Knock during Pre-ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Pre-ignition in SI engine is a critical issue that needs addressing as it may lead to super knock event. It is widely accepted that pre-ignition event emanates from hot spot(s) that can be anywhere inside the combustion chamber. The location and timing of hotspot is expected to influence the knock intensity from a pre-ignition event. In this study, we study the effect of location and timing of hot spot inside the combustion chamber using numerical simulations. The simulation is performed using a three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics (CFD) code, CONVERGE™. We simulate 3-D engine geometry coupled with chemistry, turbulence and moving structures (valves, piston). G-equation model for flame tracking coupled with multi-zone model is utilized to capture auto-ignition (knock) and solve gas phase kinetics. A parametric study on the effect of hot spot timing and location inside the combustion chamber is performed. The hot spot timing considered are -180 CAD, -90 CAD and -30 CAD and the locations of the hot spots are in the center and two edges of the piston surfaces. Simulation results for normal combustion cycle are validated against the experimental data. The simulation results show great sensitivity to the hot spot timing, and the influence of local temperature gradient is noted to be significant. In case of early hot spot timing of -180 CAD, the pre-ignition event did not lead to super knock. Nevertheless, at late hot spot timing, super knock was realized. On the other hand, the effect of hot spot location on pre-ignition event depends on the geometry of the combustion chamber.
- Mohammed Jaasim Mubarak Ali - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Francisco Hernandez Perez - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- S. Vedharaj - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- R. Vallinayagam - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Robert Dibble - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- Hong Im - King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
CitationMubarak Ali, M., Hernandez Perez, F., Vedharaj, S., Vallinayagam, R. et al., "Effect of Timing and Location of Hotspot on Super Knock during Pre-ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0686, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0686.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Vallinayagam, R., Vedharaj, S., Naser, N., Roberts, W. L., Dibble, R. W., Sarathy, S. M., "Terpineol as a novel octane booster for extending the knock limit of gasoline," Fuel. 187, 9–15 , 2016, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2016.09.034.
- Lecointe, B. and Monnier, G., "Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0542, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0542.
- Ettefagh, M., Sadeghi, M., Pirouzpanah, V., Tash, H. A., "Knock detection in spark ignition engines by vibration analysis of cylinder block: A parametric modeling approach," Mech. Systems Signal Processing, 22(6), 1495–1514, 2008.
- Grandin, B. and Denbratt, I., "The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0238, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0238.
- Harned, J. L., "Borderline spark knock detector," Google Patents, 1977.
- Mittal, V., Revier, B., and Heywood, J., "Phenomena that Determine Knock Onset in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0007, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0007.
- Zhen, X., Wang, Y., Xu, S., Zhu, Y., Tao, C., Xu, T., Song, M., "The engine knock analysis–An overview," Applied Energy, 92, 628–636, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.11.079.
- Pan, J., Shu, G., Wei, H., "Research on in-cylinder pressure oscillation characteristic during knocking combustion in spark-ignition engine," Fuel, 120, 150–7, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.11.054.
- Peyton Jones, J., Muske, K., Frey, J., and Scholl, D., "A Stochastic Knock Control Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1017, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1017.
- Luo, W., Chen, B., Naber, J., and Glugla, C., "Stochastic Knock Detection, Control, Software Integration, and Evaluation on a V6 Spark-Ignition Engine under Steady-State Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1358, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1358.
- Chen, Y. and Raine, R., "Engine Knock in an SI Engine with Hydrogen Supplementation under Stoichiometric and Lean Conditions," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2):595–605, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1220.
- Ohashi, Y., Fukui, W., Tanabe, F., and Ueda, A., "The Application of Ionic Current Detection System for the Combustion Limit Control," SAE Technical Paper 980171, 1998, doi:10.4271/980171.
- Ohashi, Y., Koiwa, M., Okamura, K., and Ueda, A., "The Application of Ionic Current Detection System for the Combustion Condition Control," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0550, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0550.
- Alkidas AC., "Combustion advancements in gasoline engines," Energy Conversion and Management, 48(11), 2751–61, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2007.07.027.
- Li, T., Nishida, K., Zhang, Y., Hiroyasu, H., "Effect of split injection on stratified charge formation of direct injection spark ignition engines," Int. J Eng Res, 8(2), 205–19, 2007.
- Alger, T., Gingrich, J., Roberts, C., Mangold, B., "Cooled exhaust-gas recirculation for fuel economy and emissions improvement in gasoline engines," Int. J Eng Res, 12(3), 252–64, 2011.
- Lauer, T., Heiss, M., Bobicic, N., Holly, W. , "A Comprehensive Simulation Approach to Irregular Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1214, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1214.
- Dahnz, C., Han, K., Spicher, U., Magar, M. , "Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):214–224, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0355.
- Gupta, A., Shao, H., Remias, J., Roos, J. , "Relative Impact of Chemical and Physical Properties of the Oil-Fuel Droplet on Pre-Ignition and Super-Knock in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper, 2016-01-2278, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-2278.
- Kalghatgi, G., Morganti, K., Algunaibet, I., Sarathy, M. , "Knock Prediction Using a Simple Model for Ignition Delay," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0702, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0702.
- Chapman, E. and Costanzo, V., "A Literature Review of Abnormal Ignition by Fuel and Lubricant Derivatives," SAE Int. J. Engines 9(1):107–142, 2016, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1869.
- Chen, L., Li, T., Yin, T., Zheng, B., "A predictive model for knock onset in spark-ignition engines with cooled EGR," Energy Conversion and Management, 87, 946–55, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.08.002.
- Terashima, H., Koshi, M., "Mechanisms of strong pressure wave generation in end-gas autoignition during knocking combustion," Combust Flame, 162(5), 1944–56, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2014.12.013.
- Shu, G., Pan, J., Wei, H., "Analysis of onset and severity of knock in SI engine based on in-cylinder pressure oscillations," Applied Thermal Engineering, 51(1), 1297–306, 2013.
- Rudloff, J., Zaccardi, J. M., Richard, S., Anderlohr, J., "Analysis of pre-ignition in highly charged SI engines: Emphasis on the autoignition mode," Proci of the Comb Inst, " 34, 2959–67, 2013.
- Bates, L., Bradley, D., Paczko, G., Peters, N., "Engine hot spots: Modes of auto-ignition and reaction propagation," Combust Flame. 166, 80–5, 2016.
- Han, Z., Reitz, R. D., "Turbulence modeling of internal combustion engines using RNG κ-ε models, Combust. sci. and tech, " 106(4–6), 267–295, 1995, doi:10.1080/00102209508907782.
- Han, Z., Reitz, R. D., "A temperature wall function formulation for variable-density turbulent flows with application to engine convective heat transfer modeling," Int. J. heat mass transfer, " 40(3), 613–625, 1997, doi:10.1016/0017-9310(96)00117-2.
- Som, S., Aggarwal, S.K., "Effects of primary breakup modeling on spray and combustion characteristics of compression ignition engines, Combust Flame, " 157(6), 1179–1193, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.02.018.
- Reitz, R. and Diwakar, R., "Effect of Drop Breakup on Fuel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 860469, 1986, doi:10.4271/860469.
- Reitz, R. and Diwakar, R., "Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 870598, 1987, doi:10.4271/870598.
- Post, S.L., Abraham, J., "Modeling the outcome of drop–drop collisions in Diesel sprays. Int. J. of Multiphase Flow, " 28, 997–1019, 2002.
- O'Rourke, P. and Amsden, A., "The Tab Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup," SAE Technical Paper 872089, 1987, doi:10.4271/872089.
- Richards, K., Senecal, P., Pomraning, E., CONVERGE 2.2.0 Theory Manual, Convergent Science Inc., Madison, WI, 2013.
- Liu, Y.D., Jia, M., Xie, M.Z., Pang, B., "Development of a New Skeletal Chemical Kinetic Model of Toluene Reference Fuel With Application to Gasoline Surrogate Fuels for Computational Fluid Dynamics Engine Simulation," Energy Fuels, 27(8), 4899–4909, 2017, doi:10.1021/ef4009955.
- Peters, N., "Turbulent combustion,"Cambridge university press, 2000.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D., Flowers, D., Aceves, S., Hessel R.P., "A fully coupled computational fluid dynamics and multi-zone model with detailed chemical kinetics for the simulation of premixed charge compression ignition engines," Int. J Eng Res. 6(5), 497–512, 2005, doi:10.1243/146808705X30503.
- Park, S. and Furukawa, T., "Validation of Turbulent Combustion and Knocking Simulation in Spark-Ignition Engines Using Reduced Chemical Kinetics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0750, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0750.
- Sarathy, S. M., Kukkadapu, G., Mehl, M., Wang, W., Javed, T., Park, S., Oehlschlaeger, M.A., Farooq, A., Pitz, W.J., Sung, C.J., "Ignition of alkane-rich FACE gasoline fuels and their surrogate mixtures," Proci of the Comb Inst, 35(1), 249–257, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.proci.2014.05.122.
- Robert, A., Richard, S., Colin, O., Poinsot, T., "LES study of deflagration to detonation mechanisms in a downsized spark ignition engine," Combust Flame, 162(7), 2788–2807, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2015.04.010.