This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement on Energy Efficiency of the Spark Ignition System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Future clean combustion engines tend to increase the cylinder charge to achieve better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions. The increase of the cylinder charge is often associated with either excessive air admission or exhaust gas recirculation, which leads to unfavorable ignition conditions at the ignition point. Advanced ignition methods and systems have progressed rapidly in recent years in order to suffice the current and future engine development, and a simple increase of energy of the inductive ignition system does not often provide the desired results from a cost-benefit point of view. Proper design of the ignition system circuit is required to achieve certain spark performances. In this paper, inductive coils with different primary and secondary inductances as well as turning ratios were tested to investigate the effect of inductive ignition system parameters on spark discharge characteristics under different control parameter such as charging voltage and charging duration. Based on the results from the electrical measurement, a simplified circuit model was then employed to perform a systematic study in order to improve the performance of the inductive ignition system. Furthermore, different ignition strategies based on inductive coil system including multi-coil discharge strategy, repetitive discharge strategy and dual coil discharge strategy were studied, and energy transfer efficiency was compared with traditional single spark strategy. Special attention was paid to energy losses inside the electrical path of the ignition system, and energy transfer efficiency from the primary coil to the spark gap was analyzed.
CitationYu, X., Yu, S., Yang, Z., Tan, Q. et al., "Improvement on Energy Efficiency of the Spark Ignition System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0678, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0678.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Turner , J. , Popplewell , A. , Patel , R. , Johnson , T. Ultra Boost for Economy: Extending the Limits of Extreme Engine Downsizing SAE Int. J. Engines 7 1 387 417 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1185
- Zhao , F. , Lai , M.-C , Harrington , D.L Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 5 437 562 1999 10.1016/S0360-1285(99)00004-0
- Wei , H. , Zhu , T. , Shu , G. , Tan , L. , Gasoline engine exhaust gas recirculation– a review Applied Energy 99 534 44 2012 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.011
- Gallon , E. , Fontana , G. , Palmaccio , R. Effects of exhaust gas recycle in a downsized gasoline engine Applied Energy 105 99 107 2013 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.12.046
- Quader , A. What Limits Lean Operation in Spark Ignition Engines-Flame Initiation or Propagation? SAE Technical Paper 760760 1976 10.4271/760760
- Heywood John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 1988 435 437
- Gettel , L. E. , Tsai , K. C. Flame kernel development with the multiple electrode spark plug Combustion and Flame 54 1-3 225 228 1983 10.1016/0010-2180(83)90035-4
- Dale , J.D. , Checkel , M.D. , Smy , P.R. Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 23 5-6 379 398 1997 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7
- Schneider Andreas , Hettinger Alexander , Kufferath Andreas Requirements of inductive ignition systems under engine and steady-state conditions
- Piock , W. , Weyand , P. , Wolf , E. , and Heise , V. Ignition Systems for Spray-Guided Stratified Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 389 401 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0598
- Bae , C. , Lee , J. , and Ha , J. High-Frequency Ignition Characteristics in a 4-Valve SI Engine with Tumble-Swirl Flows SAE Technical Paper 981433 1998 10.4271/981433
- Hese , M. , Tschöke , H. , Breuninger , T. , Altenschmidt , F. Influence of a Multispark Ignition System on the inflammation in a Spray-guided Combustion Process SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 2 376 386 2010 10.4271/2009-24-0117
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , Mangold , B. , and Roberts , C. A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 677 692 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0661
- Chen , W. , Madison , D. , Dice , P. , Naber , J. Impact of Ignition Energy Phasing and Spark Gap on Combustion in a Homogenous Direct Injection Gasoline SI Engine Near the EGR Limit SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1630 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1630
- Yu , S. , Tan , Q. , Ives , M. , Liu , M. Parametric Analysis of Ignition Circuit Components on Spark Discharge Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1011 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1011