This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined Effects of Spark Discharge Pattern and Tumble Level on Cycle-to-Cycle Variations of Combustion at Lean Limits of SI Engine Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Improving the thermal efficiency of spark ignition (SI) engine is strongly required due to its widespread use but considerably less efficiency than that of compression ignition (CI) engine. Although lean SI engine operation can offer substantial improvements of the thermal efficiency relative to that of traditional stoichiometric SI operation, the cycle-to-cycle variations of combustion increases with the level of air dilution, and becomes unacceptable. To improve the stability of lean operation, this study examines the effects of spark discharge pattern and tumble level on cycle-to-cycle variations of combustion at lean limits. The spark discharge pattern was altered by a custom inductive ignition system using ten spark coils and the tumble level was increased by a custom adapter installed in the intake port (tumble adapter).
The results show that increased discharge energy by ten spark coils (without discharge offset) extends the lean limits with an improvement of indicated thermal efficiency (ηth), relative to that of stoichiometric operation. Furthermore, a combination of increased discharge energy and higher tumble level by tumble adapter makes it possible to allow stable operation at more extended lean limit, which is mainly attributed to shortening the duration of ST-to-CA5 and CA10-to-CA90. To examine the effect of spark discharge pattern on cycle-to-cycle variations of combustion at lean limits, the spark discharge pattern was altered for optimized combination of discharge energy and duration by adjusting the time offset between five discharges. The discharge offset of 0.25ms enables most stable ultra-lean operation, with COV of IMEPn less than 5% up to λ=2.0.
CitationJung, D., Sasaki, K., Sugata, K., Matsuda, M. et al., "Combined Effects of Spark Discharge Pattern and Tumble Level on Cycle-to-Cycle Variations of Combustion at Lean Limits of SI Engine Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0677, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0677.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Office of the Press Secretary Obama Administration Finalizes Historic 54.5 MPG Fuel Efficiency Standards http://www.whitehouse.gov/thepress-office/2012/08/28/obama-administration-finalizes-historic-545-mpg-fuel-efficiency-standard 3 Nov 2016
- European Commission Agreement reached on cutting CO 2 emissions from cars further in 2020 http://ec.europa.eu/clima/news/articles/news_2013062501_en.htm 3 Nov 2016
- Nakata , K. , Nogawa , S. , Takahashi , D. , Yoshihara , Y. Engine Technologies for Achieving 45% Thermal Efficiency of S.I. Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 179 192 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1896
- Splitter , D. , Wissink , M. , DelVescovo , D. , and Reitz , R. RCCI Engine Operation Towards 60% Thermal Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0279 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0279
- Hoepke , B. , Jannsen , S. , Kasseris , E. , and Cheng , W. EGR Effects on Boosted SI Engine Operation and Knock Integral Correlation SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 547 559 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0707
- Sjö;berg , M. and Reuss , D. NOx-Reduction by Injection-Timing Retard in a Stratified-Charge DISI Engine using Gasoline and E85 SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1096 1113 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1643
- Lake , T. , Stokes , J. , Murphy , R. , Osborne , R. Turbocharging Concepts for Downsized DI Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0036 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0036
- Cairns , A. , Blaxill , H. , and Irlam , G. Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Improved Part and Full Load Fuel Economy in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0047 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0047
- Sjö;berg , M. and Zeng , W. Combined Effects of Fuel and Dilution Type on Efficiency Gains of Lean Well-Mixed DISI Engine Operation with Enhanced Ignition and Intake Heating for Enabling Mixed-Mode Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 750 767 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0689
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Dale , J.D. , Checkel , M.D. , and Smy , P.R. Application of high energy ignition systems to engines Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 23 379 98 1997 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7
- Newhall , H.K. Kinetics of Engine-generated Nitrogen Oxides and Carbon Monoxide Proc. Comb. Inst. 12 1 603 613 1969 10.1016/S0082-0784(69)80441-8
- Sjö;berg , M. , Zeng , W. , Singleton , D. , Sanders , J. Combined Effects of Multi-Pulse Transient Plasma Ignition and Intake Heating on Lean Limits of Well-Mixed E85 DISI Engine Operation SAE Int. J. Engines 7 4 1781 1801 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2615
- Shiraishi , T. , Teraji , A. , and Moriyoshi , Y. The Effects of Ignition Environment and Discharge Waveform Characteristics on Spark Channel Formation and Relationship between the Discharge Parameters and the EGR Combustion Limit SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 171 178 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1895
- Advanced Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines Kratzsch , M. , Günther , M. expert verlag Renningen, Germany 2013 978-3-8169-3190-4
- Czekala , M. , Johnston , B. , Morganti , C. , and McRoy , G. Matching Ignition System Multi-Spark Calibration to the Burn-Rate of an Engine to Extend Ignitability Limits SAE Technical Paper 981046 1998 10.4271/981046
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , Roberts , C. , Mangold , B. A High-Energy Continuous Discharge Ignition System for Dilute Engine Applications SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1628 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1628
- Wang , T. , Liu , D. , Tan , B. , Wang , G. An Investigation into In-Cylinder Tumble Flow Characteristics with Variable Valve Lift in a Gasoline Engine Flow Turbulence Combust 94 285 304 2015 10.1007/s10494-014-9562-4
- Müller , S.H.R. , Böhm , B. , Gleißner , M. Flow field measurements in an optically accessible, direct-injection spray-guided internal combustion engine using high-speed PIV Exp. Fluids. 48 281 290 2010 10.1007/s00348-009-0742-2
- Bücker , I. , Karhoff , DC. , Klaas , M. Stereoscopic multi-planar PIV measurements of in-cylinder tumbling flow Exp. Fluids. 53 1993 2009 2012 10.1007/s00348-012-1402-5