This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Heat Exchange Performance for Heat Dissipation Module for Construction Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this work, a XD132 Road Roller from XCMG in China was employed as a research basis to study the heat exchange performance of the heat dissipation module under varied working conditions. The module in the XD132 consists of a cooling fan and three radiators. At first, the numerical investigation on the elementary units of radiators was performed to obtain Colburn j factor and Fanning friction f factor, which were used for the ε-NTU method to predict the radiator performance. The fan was numerically tested in a wind test tunnel to acquire the performance curve. The performance data from both investigations were transformed into the boundary conditions of the numerical vehicle model in a virtual tunnel. A field experiment was carried out to validate the simulation accuracy, and an entrance coefficient was proposed to discuss the performance regularity under four working conditions. The results show that the simulation results of radiators and fans could be applied to the vehicle simulation, and the turbulent airflow at the exit of the fan partly lowers performance. Besides that, the elevated-temperature air flowing out of the fan is reheated by the muffler and results in a working instability. The maximum error between simulation results and experimental data is less than 4%. The comparison between four working conditions also confirms that the heat exchange performance decreases as the vehicle moves forward at an increasing velocity and increases as the vehicle moves backward. The conclusions are of great significance in efficiency improvements on the vehicle design.
|Technical Paper||Cooling Fan Modeling to Support Robust AC/Cooling System Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Engine Cooling System Design for Heavy Duty Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Under-hood Thermal Simulation of a Class 8 Truck|
CitationLiu, J., Qin, S., Jiang, Y., and He, S., "Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Heat Exchange Performance for Heat Dissipation Module for Construction Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0624, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0624.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Bejan, A. 1977. "The Concept of Irreversibility in Heat Exchanger Design: Counterflow Heat Exchangers for Gas-to-Gas Applications." Journal of Heat Transfer 99 (3):374. doi: 10.1115/1.3450705.
- Babaelahi, Mojtaba, Sadri Somayyeh, and Sayyaadi Hoseyn. 2014. "Multi-Objective Optimization of a Cross-Flow Plate Heat Exchanger Using Entropy Generation Minimization." Chemical Engineering & Technology 37 (1):87-94. doi: 10.1002/ceat.201300411.
- Li, Xiao-wei, Meng Ji-an, and Guo Zeng-yuan. 2009. "Turbulent flow and heat transfer in discrete double inclined ribs tube." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 52 (3-4):962-970. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2008.07.027.
- Wang, Zhe, and Li Yanzhong. 2015. "Irreversibility analysis for optimization design of plate fin heat exchangers using a multi-objective cuckoo search algorithm." Energy Conversion and Management 101:126-135. doi: 10.1016/j.enconman.2015.05.009.
- Cornelissen, R. L., and Hirs G. G.. 1997. "Exergetic optimisation of a heat exchanger." Energy Conversion and Management 38 (15-17):1567-1576. doi: 10.1016/s0196-8904(96)00218-x.
- Yuan, Fang, and Chen Qun. 2011. "Two energy conservation principles in convective heat transfer optimization." Energy 36 (9):5476-5485. doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2011.07.033.
- Shah, A., Cless, C., Curlee, J., and Edmondson, J., "Thermal Analysis and Simulations for Optimizing HVAC Load on Heavy Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2657, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2657.
- Vajjha, Ravikanth S., Das Debendra K., and Namburu Praveen K.. 2010. "Numerical study of fluid dynamic and heat transfer performance of Al2O3 and CuO nanofluids in the flat tubes of a radiator." International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 31 (4):613-621. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2010.02.016.
- Ganga Charyulu, D., Singh. Gajendra, and Sharma, J k. 1999. "Performance evaluation of a radiator in a diesel engine-a case study." Applied Thermal Engineering 19 (6):625-639. doi: 10.1016/S1359-4311(98)00064-7.
- Mao, J. N., Chen H. X., Jia H., Wang Y. Z., and Hu H. M.. 2013. "Effect of air-side flow maldistribution on thermal-hydraulic performance of the multi-louvered fin and tube heat exchanger." International Journal of Thermal Sciences 73:46-57. doi: 10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2013.06.001.
- Mao, Shaolin, Cheng Changrui, Li Xianchang, and Michaelides Efstathios E.. 2010. "Thermal/structural analysis of radiators for heavy-duty trucks." Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (11-12):1438-1446. doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.03.003.
- Park, C. and Jaura, A., "Thermal Analysis of Cooling System in Hybrid Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0710, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0710.
- Scott, T. and Joshi, D., "Engine Cooling Module Sizing Using Combined 1-Dimensional and CFD Modeling Tools," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1079-1098, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1177.
- Hsieh, C T., and Jiang, J Y. 2007. "3-d thermal-hydraulic analysis for airflow over a radiator and engine room." International Journal of Automotive Technology 8 (5):659-666.
- Lang, G., Kitanoski, F., and Kussmann, C., "Principal Aspects and Simulation of a Hybrid Demonstrator Vehicle's Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3483, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3483.
- Park, S. and Jung, D., "Numerical Modeling and Simulation of the Vehicle Cooling System for a Heavy Duty Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2421, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2421.
- Khaled, Mahmoud, Harambat Fabien, and Peerhossaini Hassan. 2010. "Underhood thermal management: Temperature and heat flux measurements and physical analysis." Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (6-7):590-598. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2009.11.003.
- Dong, Junqi, Chen Jiangping, Zhang Wenfeng, and Hu Jinwei. 2010. "Experimental and numerical investigation of thermal - hydraulic performance in wavy fin-and-flat tube heat exchangers." Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (11-12):1377-1386. doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.02.027.
- Liu, Jiaxin., Qin, Sicheng., Xu, Zhenyuan., and Zhang Ao, et al. 2012. "Comparative Analysis of Heat Exchange Performance of Vehicle Radiator Based on CFD Numerical Simulation." Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science Edition) 40 (5):24-29. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1000-565X.2012.05.005.
- Wang, Chi Chuan., and yu Chi Kuan. 2000. "Heat transfer and friction characteristics of plain fin-and-tube heat exchangers, part I: new experimental data." International Journal of Heat And Mass Transfer 43 (15): 2681-2691. doi: 10.1016/S0017-9310(99)00332-4.
- Wieting A.R., Empirical correlations for heat transfer and flow friction characteristics of rectangular offset-fin plate-fin heat exchangers, Journal of Heat Transfer 97 (1975) 488-490.
- Yao Zhongpeng., "Vehicle cooling and heat transfer." (Beijing, Beijing Institute of Technology Press, 2001), 211-212. ISBN: 7-81045-769-1.
- Dong, Junqi, Su Lin, Chen Qian, and Xu Weiwu. 2013. "Experimental study on thermal-hydraulic performance of a wavy fin-and-flat tube aluminum heat exchanger." Applied Thermal Engineering 51 (1-2):32-39. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.09.018.