This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adaptive Algorithm for Engine Air – Fuel Ratio Control with Dual Fuel Injection Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dual fuel injection systems, like PFI+DI (port fuel injection + direct injection system) are being increasingly used in gasoline engine applications to increase the engine performance, fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. At a given engine operating condition, the air/fuel error is a function of the fraction of fuel injected by each of the fuel systems. If the fraction of fuel from each of the fuel system is changed at a given operating condition, the fuel system error will change as well making it challenging to learn the fuel system errors.
This paper aims at describing the adaptive fueling control algorithm to estimate the fuel error contribution from each individual fuel system. Considering the fuel injection system slope errors to be the significant cause for air-fuel errors, a model structure was developed to calculate the fuel system adaptive correction factor as a function of changing fraction of fueling between the fuel systems. A recursive least squares estimation strategy was used to accurately estimate the individual fuel system correction factors and the same was implemented in real time on 3.5L GTDI engine. Algorithm was validated on different applications of dual fuel injection systems by inducing known amount of fueling errors on individual fuel systems (40% lean to 40% rich fueling faults). The results describe offline validation of the fueling correction model and the real time validation of the strategy. This real time estimation and control of the fueling errors from individual fuel system, significantly improves the air-fuel control of the dual fuel injection engines. This methodology additionally helps diagnose and separate each fuel system failure.
CitationRanga, A., Surnilla, G., Thomas, J., Sanborn, E. et al., "Adaptive Algorithm for Engine Air – Fuel Ratio Control with Dual Fuel Injection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0588, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0588.
- Sendyka Bronisław and Noga Marcin 2013 Combustion Process in the Spark-Ignition Engine with Dual-Injection System, Advances in Internal Combustion Engines and Fuel Technologies Dr. Hoon Kiat Ng (Ed.), InTech 10.5772/54160
- Saeki , T. , Tsuchiya , T. , Iwashi , K. , Abe , S. Development of V6 3.5-Liter 2GR-FSE Engine Toyota Technical Review 55 222 92 97 Toyota Motor Corporation 2007 Japan
- Gambert , E. and Huls , T. Adaptive air/fuel control applied to a single point injection system for SI engines SAE Technical Paper 841297 1984 10.4271/841297
- Campbell , S. , Nguyen , N. , Kaneshige , J. , & Krishnakumar , K Parameter Estimation for a Hybrid Adaptive Flight Controller AIAA Infotech@ Aerospace Conference 1 27 Seattle, WA, USA 2009
- Sjo , A Updating Techniques in Recursive Least-Squares Estimation 1992 home.utad.pt/~psal/Mestrado/ficheiros/lsq.pdf