This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Air Charge and Residual Gas Fraction Estimation for a Spark-Ignition Engine Using In-Cylinder Pressure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An accurate estimation of cycle-by-cycle in-cylinder mass and the composition of the cylinder charge is required for spark-ignition engine transient control strategies to obtain required torque, Air-Fuel-Ratio (AFR) and meet engine pollution regulations. Mass Air Flow (MAF) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors have been utilized in different control strategies to achieve these targets; however, these sensors have response delay in transients. As an alternative to air flow metering, in-cylinder pressure sensors can be utilized to directly measure cylinder pressure, based on which, the amount of air charge can be estimated without the requirement to model the dynamics of the manifold. In this work, an air charge estimation algorithm is proposed, which uses the dynamic cylinder pressure trace data at discrete events in the cycle, and by applying thermodynamics and heat transfer relationships, estimates individual cylinder air charge for each cycle at different engine operating points. In addition, a residual gas mass estimator is incorporated in the algorithm. Estimator output is calibrated based on experimentally determined air charge, which is calculated from the amount of injected fuel in each cylinder and individual wide-band sensor data.
- Arya Yazdani - Michigan Technological University
- Jeffrey Naber - Michigan Technological University
- Mahdi Shahbakhti - Michigan Technological University
- Paul Dice - Michigan Technological University
- Chris Glugla - Ford Motor Company
- Stephen Cooper - Ford Motor Company
- Douglas McEwan - Ford Motor Company
- Garlan Huberts - Ford Motor Company
CitationYazdani, A., Naber, J., Shahbakhti, M., Dice, P. et al., "Air Charge and Residual Gas Fraction Estimation for a Spark-Ignition Engine Using In-Cylinder Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0527, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0527.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- "United States Environmental Protection Agency," [Online]. Available: https://www3.epa.gov/. Date Accessed: 06/01/2016.
- Kodjak D., "Consumer Acceptance of Electric Vehicles in the US," December 2012. [Online]. Available: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-09/documents/kodjak121312.pdf. Date Accessed: 06/01/2016.
- Solouk A. and Shahbakhti M., "Modeling and Energy Management of an HCCI based Powertrain for Series Hybrid and Extended Range Electric Vehicles," Int. J. of Powertrains, 29 pages, Vol. 6, No. 2, 2017, DOI:10.1504/IJPT.2017.10001761..
- Wang, Z., Zhu, Q., and Prucka, R., "A Review of Spark-Ignition Engine Air Charge Estimation Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0620, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0620.
- Brandstetter, W. and Carr, M., "Measurement of Air Distribution in a Multicylinder Engine by Means of a Mass Flow Probe," SAE Technical Paper 730494, 1973, doi:10.4271/730494.
- Berggren P. and Perkovic A., "Cylinder Individual Lambda Feedback Control in an SI Engine," 1996.
- Mladek, M. and Onder, C., "A Model for the Estimation of Inducted Air Mass and the Residual Gas Fraction using Cylinder Pressure Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0958, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0958.
- Colin, G., Giansetti, P., Chamaillard, Y., and Higelin, P., "In-Cylinder Mass Estimation Using Cylinder Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0049, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0049.
- Worm, J., "An Evaluation of Several Methods for Calculating Transient Trapped Air Mass with Emphasis on the “Delta P” Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0990, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0990.
- Desantes J., Galindo J., Guardiola C. and Dolz V., "Air mass flow estimation in turbocharged diesel engines from in-cylinder pressure measurement," Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 34(1):37-47, 2010.
- Giansetti P., Colin G., Higelin P. and Chamaillard Y., "Residual gas fraction measurement and computation," International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 8, 2007.
- "ACAP 6.00B, Advanced Combustion Analysis Program," Copyright 1988-2000 MTS-DSP Technology Inc, Special GM Version.
- "LabVIEW 2009 Service Pack 1, version 9.0.1 (32-bit), NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS".
- "Micro Motion® ELITE® Coriolis Flow and Density Meters" Product Data Sheet, September 2011.
- "Bosch Motorsport," [Online]. Available: http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/en/de/produkte/catalog_products_1_754414.php# Date accessed 06/01/2016.
- "ATI Vision version 3.7.4, Accurate Technologies," 47199 Cartier Drive, Wixom, Michigan 48393, USA, Copyright 1997-2013.
- Yi, J., Wooldridge, S., Coulson, G., Hilditch, J. et al., "Development and Optimization of the Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Combustion System," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1388-1407, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1494.
- Fox, J., Cheng, W., and Heywood, J., "A Model for Predicting Residual Gas Fraction in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 931025, 1993, doi:10.4271/931025.
- Kale, V., Yeliana, Y., Worm, J., and Naber, J., "Development of an Improved Residuals Estimation Model for Dual Independent Cam Phasing Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0312, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0312.
- Singh A., "Estimating Residual Gas Fraction for SI Engines with Dual Independent Cam Systems," Master's Report, Michigan Technological University, 2008.
- Heywood J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, Chapters 4 and 12, 1988.
- "Engineering Equation Solver (EES), F-Chart Software, Academic Preofessional V9.902," 1992-2015.
- Ferguson C. R. and Kirkpatrick A. T., Internal Combustion Engines: Applied Thermosciences, Chapter 6, John Wiley & Sons.
- Guan-de L. U. N., "MATLAB Curve Fitting Toolbox in Disposing of Experiment Data," Tractor & Farm Transporter 4, 2006.
- Beale M. H., Hagan M. T. and Howard B., Neural Network Toolbox™ User's Guide R2014a ed 2014, 1992.
- "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root-mean-square_deviation. Date accessed: 06/01/2016," [Online].
- Müller, N. and Isermann, R., "Control of Mixture Composition Using Cylinder Pressure Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3382, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3382.