This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantitative Analysis of Leakage Suppression of DLC Coating on Piston Ring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Piston ring wear in gasoline engine induces deterioration of emissions performance due to leakage of blow-by gas, instability of idling caused by reduced compression in combustion chamber, and to generate early degeneration of engine oil. We examined anti-wear performance of DLC coating on piston ring, which had been recently reported as an effective method for improving the abrasion resistance. As a result, wear rate remained low under the condition of DLC existence on sliding surface, but once DLC was worn out completely, wear of the piston ring was accelerated and its life became shorter than piston ring without DLC. In this research, we designed reciprocating test apparatus that operates at much higher velocity range, and characterized the frictional materials of the piston ring and sleeve and the DLC as a protective film, a vapor phase epitaxy (VPE) was actively used as a means to form certain level of convex and concave shape on its surface. As a result, we achieved higher wear durability by devising a combination of DLC and underlying. Calculation of compression gas leakage from Piston ring end gap is also introduced.
CitationMatsumoto, K. and Koga, H., "Quantitative Analysis of Leakage Suppression of DLC Coating on Piston Ring," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0457, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0457.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Makoto Kano, ”DLC Coating Technology Applied to Sliding Parts of Automotive Engine” New Diamond and Frontier Cabon Technology, Vol.16, No.4, 2006.
- Kennedy Marcus, Hoppe Steffen, Esser Johannes, “Piston Ring Coating Reduces Gasoline Engine Friction” MTZ 0512012, Vol.73
- Mobaraka, H. M. Masjukia, H. H. NizaMohamada, E. AshrafurRahmana, S.M. Al Mahmuda, K. A. H. Habibullaha, M. Salauddinb, S. , “Effect of DLC coating on tribological behavior of cylinder linerpiston ring material combination when lubricated with Jatropha oil” Procedia Engineering 90 ( 2014 ) 733 - 739
- Jones1, B.J. Mahendran, A. Anson, A.W. Reynolds, A.J. Bulpett, R. Franks, J. “Diamond-like carbon coating of alternative metal alloys for medical and surgical applications”” Diamond and Related Materials 19 (2010) 685
- Jongwannasiri Chavin, Li Xianghui, Watanabe Shuichi, “Improvement of Thermal Stability and Tribological Performance of Diamond-Like Carbon Composite Thin Films” Materials Sciences and Applications, 2013, 4, 630-636
- Moolsradoo Nutthanun, Abe Shinya, and Watanabe Shuichi, “Thermal Stability and Tribological Performance of DLC-Si-O Films” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering Volume 2011, Article ID 483437, 7 pages
- Deng Xingrui, Lim Yankuang, Kousaka Hiroyuki, Tokoroyama Takayuki, Umehara Noritsugu, “Effect of tetramethylsilane flow on the deposition and tribological behaviors of silicon doped diamond-like carbon rubbed against poly(oxymethylene)” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 53, 11RA04 (2014)
- Mohammeda Melih A. “Tribological Performance of Si-N-DLC Composited Thin Films at High-Temperature” Report of Researches, Nippon Institute of Technology, Vol.45, No.1 (June, 2015)
- MIKI Yasuhiro, Fukugauchi Manabu “The Mechanical Properties of Si Content Carbon Film and Residual Stress Behavior in Surface of Substrate” Report of Nara Prefectural Institute of Industrial Technology, No.37 2011
- Kano Makoto, “Applied Technology of Reducting Friction with DLC under Lubricated Condition”, Journal of the Surface Finishing Society of Japan, Vol.58, No.10, 2007
- Furuhama Shoichi, "Internal combustion engine", Morikita Publishing, p236-p244, (1978)
- Furuhama Shoichi, "Gas leakage from piston ring of small out put diesel engine", Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 22 (1956), No.124 P934-939
- Furuhama Shoichi, Ichikawa Hiroshi, "Effects of the Piston Ring on the Ring Sticks of an Air Cooled 2-Stroke Diesel Engine", Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 35 (1969) No.280. P2412-2425
- Furuhama Shoichi, Tada Tosio, "On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings : 1st Report,"The Discharge Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas", Bulletin of JSME, Vol.4 (1961), No.16, P684-690
- Furuhama Shoichi, Tada Tosio, "On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings : 2st Report,"The Charactor of Leakage Gas", Bulletin of JSME, Vol.24 (1961), No.16, P691-698