This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation Analysis of Interior and Exterior Wind Noise Sources of a Production Car Using Beamforming Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Beamforming techniques are widely used today in aeroacoustic wind tunnels to identify wind noise sources generated by interaction between incoming flow and the test object. In this study, a planar spiral microphone array with 120 channels was set out-of-flow at 1:1 aeroacoustic wind tunnel of Shanghai Automotive Wind Tunnel Center (SAWTC) to test exterior wind noise sources of a production car. Simultaneously, 2 reference microphones were set in vehicle interior to record potential sound source signal near the left side view mirror triangle and the signal of driver’s ear position synchronously. In addition, a spherical array with 48 channels was set inside the vehicle to identify interior noise sources synchronously as well. With different correlation methods and an advanced algorithm CLEAN-SC, the ranking of contributions of vehicle exterior wind noise sources to interested interior noise locations was accomplished. The results demonstrate that the advanced deconvolution algorithm CLEAN-SC has significant improvement against limitations of spatial resolution and dynamic range of conventional Beamforming technique. It has great potential for vehicle wind noise transmission path analysis and wind noise optimization work in the wind tunnel. In addition, Correlation analysis result of interior and exterior noise sources using virtual and real reference microphones was compared and discussed as well.
CitationHe, Y., Wang, B., Shen, Z., Yang, Z. et al., "Correlation Analysis of Interior and Exterior Wind Noise Sources of a Production Car Using Beamforming Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0449, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0449.
- Guidati , S. and Sottek , R. Advanced Source Localization Techniques Using Microphone Arrays SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 2 1241 1249 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1657
- Lepley , D. , Senthooran , S. , Hendriana , D. , and Frazer , T. Numerical Simulations and Measurements of Mirror-Induced Wind Noise SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1550 1562 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2236
- Adam , J. , Ricot , D. , Lambourg , C. , and Menoret , A. Correlated Beamforming Method for Relevant Aeroacoustic Sources Identification SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2234 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2234
- Li , L. , Li , J. , Lu , B. , Liu , Y. Application of Beamforming to Side Mirror Aeroacoustic Noise Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0475 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0475
- Li , Y. , Kasaki , N. , Tsunoda , H. , Nakamura , T. Evaluation of Wind Noise Sources Using Experimental and Computational Methods SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0343 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0343
- Hald , J. Spherical Beamforming with Enhanced Dynamic Range SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 1334 1341 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1977
- Neugebauer , S. , Roesel , R. and Doebler , D. Correlation of parallel car interior and exterior Beamforming measurements in a wind tunnel Internoise 2014
- Brooks , T.F. and Humphreys , W.M. A Deconvolution Approach for the Mapping of Acoustic Sources (DAMAS) Determined from Phased Microphone Arrays Journal of Sound and Vibration March 2006 294 856 879
- Wang , Y. and Li , J. Wideband RELAX and wideband CLEAN for aeroacoustic imaging AIAA 2003 3197 2003
- Sijtsma , P. CLEAN based on spatial source coherence International Journal of Aeroacoustics 6 4 357 374 2007
- Dougherty , R. Noise Source Imaging by Beamforming SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0518 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0518
- Technical Review Brüel & Kjær publication, 1 2004
- Doebler , D. , Puhle , C. and Heilmann , G. Correlation of high channel count beamforming measurement of a car in a wind tunnel using CLEAN-SC Internoise 2015
- Amiet , R.K. , Refraction of Sound by a Shear Layer Journal of Sound and Vibration 1978 58 467 482
- Amiet , R.K. , Noise due to turbulent flow past a trailing edge Journal of Sound and Vibration 1976 47 3 387 393
- Doebler , D. and Schroeder , R. Contrast Improvement and Sound Reconstruction of Quiet Sound Sources Using a High Dynamic Range Algorithm BeBeC 2012
- Massarotti , M. , Ribeiro , Y. , and Calçada , M. Using Spherical Beamforming to Evaluate Wind Noise Paths SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0791 2014 10.4271/2014-36-0791