Data Acquisition and Failure Simulation of Metal Bumper for Heavy Commercial Vehicle
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
This abstract work describes a method of data acquisition and validation procedure followed for a metal bumper used in commercial vehicle application. Covariance is considered as major phenomenon for repeatable measurements in proving ground data acquisition and it is to be maintained less than 0.05. In this project covariance of data acquisition is analyzed before physical simulation of acquired data. In addition to that, multiple testing conditions like uni-axial and bi-axial testing were carried out to attain the failure. PG data is used for bi-axial vibration test and conventional constant spectrum signal (CSD signal) is used for uni-axial vibration test. Target duration for uni-axial test (Z direction) was arrived using pseudo damage calculation. Strain gauges were installed in failure locations to compare PG data and rig data as well as to calculate strain life. Failures were simulated in bi-axial vibration test.
CitationKarthik, L., Dinesh Kumar, R., Prasanna Kumar, E., and Srinivasa Chandra, V., "Data Acquisition and Failure Simulation of Metal Bumper for Heavy Commercial Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0381, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0381.
- Awate, C., Panse, S., and Dodds, C., "Validation of an Accelerated Test on a 4-Post Road Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-070, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-26-070.
- The Test Engineer’s Handbook” second edition 2015, by Dodds Colin J Dr. www.doddsandassociates.co.uk
- Indian Standard “Mechanical Vibration - Road Surface Profiles Reporting Of Measured Data” ISO 8608:1995
- Banantine J, Comer J and Handrock J, “Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis” Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1990.
- Dodds Colin J Dr., Plummer A R “Laboratory Road Simulation for full vehicle testing” SIAT 2001.
- Lee Yung-Li and Pan Jwo, “Fatigue Testing and Analysis (Theory and Practice)” , First edition 2005, Elsevier’s Science & Technology
- S, S., SV, H., Mendez, A., and Dodds, C., "Development of a Specific Durability Test Cycle for a Commercial Vehicle Based on Real Customer Usage," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0137, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-26-0137.