This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on Cylinder Bore Deformation under Static Condition Based on Fourier Decomposition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to the mechanical forces under static conditions, the engine cylinders cross section will not be a round circle any more once they are installed. The deformation of an engine cylinder causes increasing lubricating oil consumption and abnormal wear, resulting in worse fuel economy and emissions. However, prediction of deformation on a liner has not been made because of the complication of conditions and structure. In this study, a V6-type engine body model was built and meshed with Hypermesh suit software. Then, cylinder deformation under static condition has been simulated and analyzed. First of all, experimental work was done to verify the engine model. Basically, few parameters like pre-tightened force, structure and distribution of bolts have been investigated to figure out how the cylinder bore deformation behaves via finite element analysis. Also, a simple Matlab program was developed to process the data. Specifically, Fourier decomposition has been used to find out the typical style of cylinder deformation. The results show that under static condition, the level of pre-tightened force is one of the most important factors. Furthermore, longer length of the bolt reduces the cylinder distortion due to changing the depth distribution of forces, and symmetrically distributed bolts lead to the lowest bore deformation. The Fourier program results indicate that the most typical cylinder deformation styles are the 2nd-order and the 4th-order. Among all of those deformation styles, the 2nd-order dominates and orders higher than 8 do not contribute too much to the total deformation. Based on this study, optimizing the static conditions will be helpful to protect the cylinder from distorting and wearing.
CitationLiang, X., Wang, Y., Huang, S., Yang, G. et al., "Investigation on Cylinder Bore Deformation under Static Condition Based on Fourier Decomposition," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0366, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0366.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Koch , F. , Decker , P. , Gülpen , R. , Quadflieg , F. et al. Cylinder Liner Deformation Analysis - Measurements and Calculations SAE Technical Paper 980567 1998 10.4271/980567
- Hitosugi , H. , Nagoshi , K. , Komada , M. , and Furuhama , S. Study on Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption Caused by Cylinder Bore Deformation SAE Technical Paper 960305 1996 10.4271/960305
- Fujimoto , H. , Yoshihara , Y. , Goto , T. , and Furuhama , S. Measurement of Cylinder Bore Deformation During Actual Operating Engines SAE Technical Paper 910042 1991 10.4271/910042
- Moli C. , Detao L. , Shuli J. A Finite Element Analysis of Deformation of the Cylinder Liners of 6110 Type Diesel Engine Journal of Jiangsu University of Science and Technology (Natural Science) 2000 21 2 5 9
- Jingsi W. , Lizhong , Sh. , Yuhua , B. Dynamic Measurements and Analysis of Water-Cooled Cylinder Liner Circumferential Strains Transactions of CSICE 2005 23 1 77 83
- Maassen , F. , Koch , F. , Schwaderlapp , M. , Ortjohann , T. et al. Analytical and Empirical Methods for Optimization of Cylinder Liner Bore Distortion SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0569 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0569
- Zhang , G.X Four-Point Method of Roundness and Spindle Error Measurements Annals of the CIRP 1993 1 42 593 596
- Huixun , L. , Yingchun , H. , Jianzhong , Zh. Study on Simulating Bolt Pretension by Using ANSYS Journal of Shandong University of Science and Technology(Natural Science) 2006 25 1 57 59
- Bingquan , L. , Hailong , W. , Xiaofei , Zh. , Gongcui , W. Stress Calculations For Bolt Joint Structures By Applying FEM Heilongjiang Province Electric Power 2006 26 2 100 102
- Hongbing , Zh. , Jianhong , D. Study on the Method of Applying Load of Bolt in the Finite Element Mode Machinery Design & Manufacture 1996 6 32
- John P. Applied Elasticity New York Dover Publications 1946
- Stephen P., T. Theory of Elastic Stability New York McGraw-Hill 1936
- Englisch C. KolbenRinge Vienna Springer-Verlag 1958
- Bird , L. and Gartside , R. Measurement of Bore Distortion in a Firing Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0485 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0485