This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Consideration of Temperature Effects in Thermal-Fatigue Performance Assessment of Components with Stress Raisers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Durability and reliability assessment of stress raisers is difficult in testing because the true deformation at a stress raiser often cannot be directly measured. Many approximate engineering approaches have been developed over the last decades, but further fundamental understanding of the problems and the development of more effective engineering methods are still strongly demanded. In this paper, several new concepts and engineering testing approaches are developed and introduced with the emphasis on thermal-fatigue assessment of welded structures.
CitationWei, Z., Luo, L., Voltenburg, R., Seitz, M. et al., "Consideration of Temperature Effects in Thermal-Fatigue Performance Assessment of Components with Stress Raisers," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0352, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0352.
- Lee , Y.L. , Pan , J. , Hathaway , R. , Barkey , M. Fatigue Testing and Analysis: Theory and Practice Butterworth-Heinemann 2004
- Manson , S.S. , Halford , G.R. Fatigue and Durability of Metals at High Temperatures ASM International Materials Park, OH 2009
- Lin , S. Temperature effect in exhaust system fatigue prediction SAE Technical Paper: 2011-01-0783 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0783
- Voltenburg , R.K. Alternative component validation methodology study Thesis Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Kettering University 2010
- Neuber , H. Theory of stress concentration for shear-strained prismatical bodies with arbitrary nonlinear stress-strain law Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions of ASME 1961 28 544 550
- Neuber , H. A physically nonlinear notch and crack model J. Mech. Phys. Solids 1968 16 289 294
- Kujawski , D. On energy interpretations of the Neuber’s rule Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics 2014 73 91 96
- Topper , T.H. , Wetzel , R.M. , Morrow , J. Neuber’s rule applied to fatigue of notched specimens J. Mater. 1969 4 200 209
- Glinka , G. , Ott , W. , Nowack , H. Elastoplastic plane strain analysis of stresses and strains at notch root J. Eng. Mater. Technol. 1988 110 195 204
- Halfpenny , A. , Anderson , R. , Lin , X. Isothermal and thermo-mechanical fatigue of automotive components SAE Technical Paper: 2015-01-0548 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0548
- Wei , Z. , Qu , Y. , Jiang , D. , Luo , L. , Hamilton , J. , Ellinghaus , K. , Pieszkalla , M. Probabilistic isothermal, anisothermal, and high-temperature thermo-mechanical fatigue life assessment and CAE implementation SAE Technical Paper, 2016-01-0370
- Nagode , M. , Hack , M. An online algorithm for temperature influenced fatigue life estimation: stress-life approach International Journal of Fatigue 2004 26 163 171
- Kang , H.T. , Lee , Y.L. , Chen , J. , Fan , D. A thermo-mechanical fatigue damage model for variable temperature and loading amplitude conditions International Journal of Fatigue 2007 29 1797 1802
- Taira , S. Relationship between thermal fatigue and low-cycle fatigue at elevated temperature Fatigue at Elevated Temperatures ASTM STP 520, ASTM 1973 88 101
- Seitz , M.T. , Hamilton , J.D. , Voltenburg , R.K. , Luo , L. , Wei , Z. , Rebandt , R.G. Practical and technical challenges of the exhaust system fatigue life assessment process at elevated temperature ASTM STP1598 Fatigue and Fracture Test Planning, Data Acquisitions and analysis Wei , Z. , Nikbin , K ,. McKeighan , P.C. , Harlow , D.G. ASTM International 2017