This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of the Forming Limit Curve Using Digital Image Correlation - Comparison of Different Approaches to Pinpoint the Onset of Localized Necking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Digital image correlation (DIC) technique has been proved as a potent tool to determine the forming limit curve (FLC) of sheet metal. One of the major technical challenges using the DIC to generate FLC is to accurately pinpoint the onset of localized necking from the DIC data. In addition to the commonly applied ISO 12004-2 standard, a plethora of other DIC data analysis approaches have been developed and used by various users and researchers. In this study, different approaches, including spatial, temporal and hybrid approaches, have been practiced to determine the limit strains at the onset of localized necking. The formability of a 980GEN3 sheet steel was studied in this work using the Marciniak cup test coupled with a DIC system. The resulting forming limits determined by different approaches were compared. Strengths and limitations of each approach were discussed. In addition, the conventional finger-touch approach was excised using specimens with perceivable localized necks. Strain measurements associated with localized necks detected by the finger-touch approach were used as the basis to evaluate the effectiveness of selected approaches. Initial suggestions were made based on this case study regarding the harmonization in DIC data analysis approaches for the FLC determination.
CitationHuang, L. and Shi, M., "Determination of the Forming Limit Curve Using Digital Image Correlation - Comparison of Different Approaches to Pinpoint the Onset of Localized Necking," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0301, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0301.
- Keeler, S.P., Brazier, W.G., “Relationship between laboratory material characterization and press shop formability,” Proceedings of Microalloying 75: 517-531, 1975.
- Goodwin, G., "Application of Strain Analysis to Sheet Metal Forming Problems in the Press Shop," SAE Technical Paper 680093, 1968, doi:10.4271/680093.
- American Society for Testing Materials, “Standard Test Method for Determining Forming Limit Curves,” ASTM E2218-15, 2015.
- Sutton, M.A., Orteu J.J., Schreier, H., “Image correlation for shape, motion and deformation measurements: basic concepts, theory and applications,” Springer Science & Business Media, 2009, doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-78747-3.
- Siebert, T., Splitthof K., Lomnitz, M., “Multi-Camera 3D DCI System to Material Testing,” Presentation at iDICs 2016 Conference and Workshop/SEM Fall Conference.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Metallic materials - sheet and strip - determination of forming-limit curves - part 2: Determination of forming-limit curves in the laboratory,” ISO Standard 12004-02, 2008.
- Hotz, W., Merklein, M., Kuppert, A., Friebe, H., et al., “Time dependent FLC determination - comparison of different algorithms to detect the onset of unstable necking before fracture,” Key Engineering Materials 549: 397-404, 2013, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.549.397.
- Huang, G., Sriram, S., Yan, B., “Digital image correlation technique and its application in forming limit curve determination,” Proceedings of the IDDRG 2008 International Conference, 16-18, 2008.
- Wang, K., Carsley, J.E., He, B., Li, J., et al., “Measuring forming limit strains with digital image correlation analysis,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 214 (5): 1120-1130, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2014.01.001.
- Merklein, M., Kuppert, A., Geffert, M., “Time dependent determination of forming limit diagrams,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 59 (1): 295-298, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.cirp.2010.03.001.
- Volk, W., Hora, P., “New algorithm for a robust user-independent evaluation of beginning instability for the experimental FLC determination,” International Journal of Material Forming, 4 (3): 339-346, 2011, doi: 10.1007/s12289-010-1012-9.
- DiCecco, S., Butcher, C., Worswick, M.J., Boettcher, E.J., et al., “Determination of forming limit diagrams of AA6013-T6 aluminum alloy sheet using a time and position dependent localized necking criterion,” Proceedings of the IDDRG 2016 International Conference, Accepted Manuscript, 2016.
- Martinez-Donaire, A.J., Garcia-Lomas, F.J., Vallellano, C., “New approaches to detect the onset of localized necking in sheets under through-thickness strain gradients,” Materials & Design, 57: 135-145, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2014.01.012.