This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Augmented Reality for Improved Dealership User Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The potential for Augmented Reality (AR) spans many domains. Among other applications, AR can improve the discovery and learning experience for users inspecting a particular item. This paper discusses the use of AR in the automotive context; particularly, on improving the user experience in a dealership show room. Visual augmentation, through a tablet computer or glasses allows users to take part in a self-guided tour in learning about the various features, details, and options associated with a vehicle. The same approach can be applied to other learning scenarios, such as training and maintenance assistance.
We evaluated a set of AR Glasses and a general purpose tablet. A table-top showroom was developed demonstrating what the actual user experience would be like for a self-guided dealership tour using natural markers and three-dimensional content spatially registered to physical objects in the user’s field of view. Spatial registration is done by tracking two- and three-dimensional markers. The camera position and orientation relative to the markers are calculated and used to augment and present information and graphical content to the user. The developed application is capable of recognizing a vehicle, render accessories, such as a roof rack, and it allows the user to cycle through various features of the vehicle to engage in learning and testing activities. This allows users to learn at their own pace while pursuing their particular interests, and also potentially earning points as part of a rewards program. In addition, a scavenger hunt application was created as another interactive approach to learn about vehicle features and accessories.
This paper overviews the solutions surveyed, and presents our selected approach using the Vuforia AR library for marker and object recognition and the Unity game engine for 3D graphics rendering. Particular challenges and lessons-learned in using AR glasses and a tablet are discussed.
- John Kelly Villota Pismag - University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Hisham Alawneh - University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Cristian Adam - University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Samir A. Rawashdeh - University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Pramita Mitra - Ford Motor Company
- Yifan Chen - Ford Motor Company
- Gary Strumolo - Ford Motor Company
CitationVillota Pismag, J., Alawneh, H., Adam, C., Rawashdeh, S. et al., "Augmented Reality for Improved Dealership User Experience," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0278, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0278.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Albrecht U.-V., von Jan U., Kuebler J., Zoeller C., Lacher M., Muensterer O. J., Ettinger M., Klintschar M. andHagemeier L., "Google Glass for documentation of medical findings: evaluation in forensic medicine.,"Journal oof medical Internet research, 2014.
- Wu H.-K., Lee S. Wen-Yu, Chang H.-Y. and Liang J.-C., "Current status, opportunities and challenges of augmented reality in education,"Computers & Education, vol. 62, pp. 41–49, 2013.
- Ong S. K. andNee A., Virtual and augmented reality applications in manufacturing, Springer Science & Bussiness Media, 2013.
- Chi H.-L., Kang S.-C. andWang X., "Research trends and opportunities of augmented reality applications in architecture, engineering, and construction,"Automation in construction, vol. 33, pp. 116–122, 2013.
- Dong S., Behzadan A. H., Chen F. andKamat V. R., "Collaborative visualization of engineering processes using tabletop augmented reality,"Advances in Engineering Software, vol. 55, pp. 45–55, 2013.
- Leue M. C., Jung T. andDieck D. T., "Google Glass augmented reality: Generic learning outcomes for art galleries,"in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer International Publishing, 2015, pp. 463–476.
- Anamaria T., "Navigating Culture. Enhancing Visitor Museum Experience through Mobile Technologies. From Smartphone to Google Glass.,"Journal of Media Research, vol. 7, pp. 33–46, 2014.
- Rauschnabel P. A. andRo Y. K., "Augmented Reality Smart Glasses: An Investigation of Technology Acceptance Drivers,"International Journal of Technology Marketing, vol. 11, pp. 123–148, 2016.
- Rauschnabel P. A., Hein . D. W., He J., Ro Y. K., Rawashdeh S. andKrulikowski B., "Fashion or Technology? A Fashnology Perspective on the Perception and Adoption of Augmented Reality Smart Glasses,"Journal of Interactive Media, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 179–194, 2016.
- Kim S. andDey A. K., "Simulated Augmented Reality Windshield Display as a Cognitive Mapping Aid for Elder Driver Navigation,"in 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems, Boston, 2009.
- Halit L., Kemeny A., Merienne F. andGarbaya S., "Augmented Reality Head-Up-Display for Advanced Driver Assistance System: A Driving Simulation Study,"in 5th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics AHFE 2014, Krakow, Poland, 2014.
- Charissis V., "Enhancing Human Responses through Augmented Reality Head-Up Display in Vehicular Environment,"in International Conference & Expo on Emerging Technologies for a Smarter World (CEWIT), Melville, NY, 2014.
- Lorenz L., Kerschbaum1 P. andSchumann J., "Designing take over scenarios for automated driving: How does augmented reality support the driver to get back into the loop?,"in Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 58th Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Erlansari A., Insap S. P. andRidi F., "Augmented Reality Application for Book Promotion," inInternational Conference on Information Systems fo Bussiness Competitiveness, 2013.
- Gay-Bellile V., Bourgeois S., Tamaazousti M., Collette S. Naudet and Knodel S., "A mobile markerless augmented reality system for the automotive field," IEEE ISMAR 2012 Workshop on Tracking Methods and Applications, 2012.
- Yamano K., Tanaka K., Hirayama M., Kondo E., Kimuro Y. andMatsumoto M., "Self-localization of mobile robots with RFID system by using support vector machine,"Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2004), vol. 4, pp. 3756–3761, 2004.
- Gonzalez J., Blanco J.-L., Galindo C., Ortiz-de-Galisteo A., Fernandez-Madrigal J.-A., Moreno F. A. andMartinez J. L., "Mobile robot localization based on Ultra-Wide-Band ranging: A particle filter approach,"Robotics and autonomous systems, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 496–507, 2009.
- Ibañez A. Simonetti and Figueras J. Paredes, "Vuforia v1. 5 SDK: Analysis and evaluation of capabilities.," Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, 2013.
- Xiao C. andLifeng Z., "Implementation of mobile augmented reality based on Vuforia and Rawajali,"in 5th IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering and Service Science (ICSESS), 2014.