This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
What Is a Ton of Weight Worth? A Discussion of Military Ground System Weight Considerations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The recently published Lightweight Combat Vehicle Science and Technology Campaign  recommended the Army develop a quantitative understanding of the operational impact that weight reduction has to the Army and create appropriate metrics that would better reflect the performance trade with regards to weight. That paper raised the question of what a ton of weight is worth in operational effectiveness and cost. This paper is an attempt to clarify this complex topic. The impact of select programmatic considerations, operational considerations, and financial considerations are discussed. Throughout, the paper provides example analyses based on vehicle weight, performance, and cost data. The paper closes with a discussion of the issues presented, research recommendations, and closing comments.
CitationGerth, R. and Howell, R., "What Is a Ton of Weight Worth? A Discussion of Military Ground System Weight Considerations," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0270, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0270.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Peltz E., John M. H. and Aimee B., "Speed and Power; Toward an Expeditionary Army," RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, 2003.
- "Soldier Panel," in Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering Symposium, Troy, MI, 2016.
- Timothy P. C. and Joseph F. C., "Historic Weight Growth of U.S. Army Combat Vehicle Systems," Military Traffic Management Command, Newport News, VA, 2002.
- Headquarters, U.S. Army, "The Impact of Weight and Dimensional Change on the Transportablity of Military Equipment," Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command - Transportation Engineering Agency, Scott Air Force Base, IL, 24 MAY 2012.
- Hodge B., "Configuration Steering Board Abrams," Unpublished Briefing, 14 JUL 2015.
- US ARMY PEO GCS, "Ground Combat Vehicle Performance Specification V3.3," 2013.
- Freedberg S. J. Jr., "BAE, GD: We Can Cut Weight From Army's GCV," 27 November 2013. [Online]. Available: http://www.democraticunderground.com/11782455.
- General Dynamics Land Systems, Lightweighting IPR - Value Engineering for Abrams Breifing, Sterling Heights: TARDEC, 2016.