This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Optimization Model for Reallocating Stamped Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
We describe an optimization model developed by Ford Motor Company to reallocate stamped parts between facilities when business conditions change. How can the business meet new targets when demand starts to exceed existing capacity? Likewise, how can it respond when demand is lower than expected? Sometimes the business can reduce costs by transferring production to a different location or by outsourcing parts. We describe in this paper how mathematical optimization can identify solutions that balance both logistical and outsourcing costs. We explain the algorithm and demonstrate with a small example how it recommends sourcing plans that minimize cost.
CitationLyon, J., Park, J., Fradkin, Y., and Tornabene, J., "An Optimization Model for Reallocating Stamped Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0244, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0244.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Mallya, S., Banerjee, S. and Bistline, W.G., "A decision support system for production/distribution planning in continuous manufacturing." Decision Sciences 32, no. 3: 545-556, 2001.
- Bilgen, B. and Günther, H.-O., "Integrated production and distribution planning in the fast moving consumer goods industry: a block planning application." Or Spectrum 32, no. 4: 927-955, 2010.
- Piewthongngam, K., Pathumnakul, S. and Homkhampad, S., "An interactive approach to optimize production-distribution planning for an integrated feed swine company." International Journal of Production Economics 142, no. 2: 290-301, 2013.
- Ghodsypour, S.H. and O'Brien, C., “A decision support system for supplier selection using an integrated analytic hierarchy process and linear programming,” International Journal of Production Economics 56: 199-212, 1998.
- Anderson, D., Anderson, E., Lesh, N., Marks, J., Mirtich, B., Ratajczak, D., and Ryall, K, “Human-guided simple search”. In AAAI/IAAI: 209-216, 2000.
- Klau, G.W., Lesh, N., Marks, J., Mitzenmacher, M., “Human-guided search”. Journal of Heuristics 13, no. 3: 289-310, 2010.