This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reliability and Resiliency Definitions for Smart Microgrids Based on Utility Theory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reliability and resiliency (R&R) definitions differ depending on the system under consideration. Generally, each engineering sector defines relevant R&R metrics pertinent to their system. While this can impede cross-disciplinary engineering projects as well as research, it is a necessary strategy to capture all the relevant system characteristics. This paper highlights the difficulties associated with defining performance of such systems while using smart microgrids as an example. Further, it develops metrics and definitions that are useful in assessing their performance, based on utility theory. A microgrid must not only anticipate load conditions but also tolerate partial failures and remain optimally operating. Many of these failures happen infrequently but unexpectedly and therefore are hard to plan for. We discuss real life failure scenarios and show how the proposed definitions and metrics are beneficial.
CitationSkowronska, A., Pandey, V., Weinert, K., Gorsich, D. et al., "Reliability and Resiliency Definitions for Smart Microgrids Based on Utility Theory," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0205, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0205.
- Haldar , A. and Mahadevan 1999 Probability Reliability and Statistical Methods in Engineering Design 1 st John Wiley and Sons
- Kapur , K. C. and Lamberson , L. R. 1977 Reliability in Engineering Design 1 st John Wiley and Sons
- Jarventausta , P. , Repo , S. , Rautiainen , A , Partanen , J 2010 Smart Grid Power System Control in Distributed Generation Environment Annual Reviews in Control 34 277 286
- Arghandeh , R. , von Meier , A. , Mehrmanesh , L. , and Mili , L. 2015 On the Definition of Cyber-Physical Resilience in Power Systems arxiv.org ftp://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1504/1504.05916.pdf
- Little , R. 2003 Toward more robust infrastructure: observations on improving the resilience and reliability of critical systems Proceedings of the 36th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences
- Singley , J. A. 2004 Hazard versus risk Chemical Health and Safety 11 14 16
- de Neufville , R. and Scholtes , S. 2011 Flexibility in Engineering Design MIT Press - Science 293
- Pandey , V. , Skowronska , A. , Mourelatos , Z. P. , Gorsich , D. and Castanier , M. 2014 Incorporating Flexibility in the Design of Repairable Systems: Design of Microgrids Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences Buffalo NY
- Divsheli , P. H. , Hosseinian , S. H. , and Abedi , M. 2013 A novel multi-stage fuel cost minimization in a VSC-based microgrid considering stability, frequency, and voltage constraints IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 931 939
- Bahramirad , S. , Reder , W. , and Khodaei , A. 2012 Reliability-Constrained Optimal Sizing of Energy Storage System in a Microgrid IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 2056 2062
- Hernandez-Aramburo , C. A. , Green , T. C. , and Mugniot , N. 2005 Fuel consumption minimization of a microgrid IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 41 3 673 681
- Bae , I. , and Kim , J. 2008 Reliability Evaluation of Customers in a Microgrid IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 1416 1422
- von Neumann , J. and Morgenstern , O. 1947 Theory of Games and Economic Behavior Princeton, NJ Princeton
- Olson , D. 2014 TARDEC Maintenance and Support Scientific and Technical Report Albuquerque, NM