This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cool Down Analysis of an HVAC System Using Multi-Zone Cabin Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Cool down of a passenger vehicle cabin is a preferred method to test the efficiency of the vehicle HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system. The intended primary objective of a passenger vehicle air conditioning system is to ensure thermal comfort to the passengers seated inside at all prevailing conditions. Presently 1-D analysis plays a major role in determining the conformation of the selected system to achieve the desired results. Virtual analysis thus saves a lot of time and effort in predicting the system performance in the initial development phase of the vehicle HVAC systems. A variety of parameters play an important role in achieving the above thermal comfort. Thermal comfort is measured using the Human comfort sensor for all the passengers seated inside. In the current scenario the modelling approach is done as per the vehicle drive condition in order to compare the same with the test results to make 1D model more robust for HVAC system performance predictions. Project focus is on the prediction of HVAC panel duct out and cabin air temperatures by discretizing the cabin into multiple zones. This enables the prediction of the temperature of each zone individually and measures the human comfort index for each zone. The simulation is performed through LMS-AMESim tool.
CitationPeri, G., Sambandan, S., and Sathish Kumar, S., "Cool Down Analysis of an HVAC System Using Multi-Zone Cabin Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0182, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0182.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Michigan Fast Facts and Trivia,. 50states.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Rugh, J., Hendricks, T., and Koram, K., "Effect of Solar Reflective Glazing on Ford Explorer Climate Control, Fuel Economy, and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3077, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3077.
- Amar Gado, Yunho Hwang and Reinhard Radermacher, Dynamic Behavior of Mobile Air-Conditioning Systems. ProQuest Science Journals; HVAC&R Research 14 (2) (2008) 307 - 312.
- Paulke S. et al., Thermal simulation of a complete vehicle including manikins, SIMVEC, 2014.
- ISO7730:2005(E) : Ergonomics of the thermal environment -Analytical determination and interpretation of thermal comfort using calculation of the PMV and PPD indices and local thermal comfort criteria.
- ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 55-1992, Thermal environmental conditions for human occupancy, Atlanta: American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineering Inc; (1992).
- Kohler, J., Kuhn, B. and Beer, H., Numerical Calculation of The Distribution of Temperature And Heat Flux In Buses Under The Influence of The Vehicle Air-Conditioning System. ASHRAE Transactions. 96 (Part 1) (1990) 432 - 446.
- Sanaye S., Dehghandokht M.., Thermal Modelling for Prediction of Automobile Cabin Air Temperature.
- Huang, L. and Han, T., "Validation of 3-D Passenger Compartment Hot Soak and Cool-Down Analysis for Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1304, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1304.
- Mingyu Wang, Edward Wolfe, Debashis Ghosh., Localized Cooling for Human Comfort.
- Ahirrao Amit K., Narahari H.K., Umesh S., Kumar Vivek., Effect of Vent Shape on Thermal Comfort of Passenger in a Car.
- Michela Simion, lainia Socaciu, Paula Unguresan., Factors that Influence the Thermal Comfort Inside of Vehicles.
- Churchill, S.W.: “Friction-factor equation spans all fluid flow regimes,” Chem. Eng., November, pp 91-92,1977.
- Shah, M.M.: “A general correlation for heat transfer during film condensation inside pipes”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol 22(1979), pp 547-556.
- VDI Heat Atlas, VDI Verlag,1993
- Steiner, D., Taborek, J., “Flow boiling heat transfer in vertical tubes correlated by an asymptotic model”, Heat transfer engineering, Vol. 13, pp 322-329.
- LMS Imagine.Lab Amesim., Air Conditioning Library 14 User’s guide
- Alahmer, Ali, "Effect of Relative humidity and temperature control on cabin thermal comfort state" (2011). Paper 834.