This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Refrigerant Charge Imbalance in a Mobile Reversible Air Conditioning-Heat Pump System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents the study of refrigerant charge imbalance between A/C (cooling) mode and HP (heating) mode of a mobile reversible system. Sensitivities of cooling and heating capacity and energy efficiency with respect to refrigerant charge were investigated. Optimum refrigerant charge level for A/C mode was found to be larger than that for HP mode, primarily due to larger condenser size in A/C mode. Refrigerant charge retention in components at both modes were measured in the lab by quick close valve method. Modeling of charge retention in heat exchangers was compared to experimental measurements. Effect of charge imbalance on oil circulation was also discussed.
CitationFeng, L. and Hrnjak, P., "Refrigerant Charge Imbalance in a Mobile Reversible Air Conditioning-Heat Pump System," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0177, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0177.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Feng , L. and Hrnjak , P. Experimental Study of an Air Conditioning-Heat Pump System for Electric Vehicles 2016-01-0257 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0257
- Peuker , G. and Hrnjak , P. Experimental and Analytical Investigation of Refrigerant and Lubricant Migration ACRC Technical Report TR-277 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2010
- Feng , L. and Hrnjak , P. Modeling of a Reversible Air Conditioning-Heat Pump System for Electric Vehicles SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst . 9 1 68 74 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0261
- Zivi , S.M. Estimation of Steady-State Steam Void Fraction by Means of the Minimum Entropy Generation J. of Heat Transfer 1964 247 251
- Carey , V.P. “Liquid-Vapor Phase-Change Phenomena” 2nd Taylor & Francis Group 2008
- Thome , J.R. Engineering Data Book III Wolverine Tube Inc. 2004
- Rouhani , S.Z. , Axelson , E. Calculation of Void Volume Fraction in the Subcooled and Quality Boiling Regions Int. J. of Heat Mass Transfer 13 383 393 1970
- Smith , S. L. 1969 Void Fractions in Two-Phase Flow: A Correlation Based Upon an Equal Velocity Head Model Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., 184 36 647 664
- Zou , Y. and Hrnjak , P. Refrigerant Flow Distribution in Vertical Headers of Reversible Microchannel Heat Exchangers ACRC Technical Report TR-303 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2014