This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Thermoacoustic Refrigerator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A diesel engine is advantageous in its high thermal efficiency, however it still wastes about 50% of total input energy to exhaust and cooling losses. A feasibility study of thermoacoustic refrigerator was carried out as one of the means to recuperate waste heat. The thermoacoustic refrigerator prototyped for this study showed a capability to achieve cooling temperature lower than -20 degree C, which indicated that the system has a potential to be used in refrigerator trucks not only for cargo compartment cooling but also for cabin cooling.
CitationNakamura, M., Machida, K., and Shimokawa, K., "A Study of Thermoacoustic Refrigerator," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0158, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0158.
- Furukawa, T., Nakamura, M., Machida, K., and Shimokawa, K., “A Study of the Rankine Cycle Generating System for Heavy Duty HV Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0678, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0678.
- Sakamoto S. . : Reduction in temperature difference of prime mover stack in loop-tube–type thermoacoustic cooling system by applying phase adjuster : Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.47. No.5. pp.3776–3780 (2008).
- Komiya S.. : A loop-tube thermoacoustic cooling system for a particle use -study on temperature gradient of stack- : Thermal Science & Engineering, Vol.19. No.1. pp.9–15 (2011).
- Ueda Y. . : Stability analysis of thermally induced spontaneous gas oscillations in straight and looped tubes : Acoustical Society of AmericaVo.124.No.2. pp.851–857 (2008).
- Yazaki T. . : A pistonless Stirling cooler : American Institute of Physics : Vo.l80.No.1. pp.157–159 (2002).
- Yazaki T. . : Traveling wave thermoacoustic engine in a looped tube : American Physical Society : Vo.l81.No.15. pp.3128–3131 (1998).
- Fritzsche J. . : Thermoacoustics an alternative technology for waste heat recovery in automotive and heavy duty applications: 24th Aachen Colloquium Auto mobile and Engine Technology: pp. 415–427 (2015).
- Hasegawa S. . : Temperature of Thermoacoustic refrigerator driven by a cascade thermoacoustic engine (Basic study using the atmospheric pressure air), The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (B),78–787. pp.440–444 (2012).
- Luo E. . : Thermoacoustically driven refrigerator with double thermoacoustic Stirling cycles : American Institute of Physics : Vo.l88. 074102 (2006)
- Sakamoto S. . : A loop-tube type thermoacoustic cooling system for a particle use -Study on enlarged section area of prime mover-, Acoustical Society of Japan, Proceedings of Symposium on Ultrasonic Electronics, pp.1319–1320 (2013).
- Sakamoto S. . : Study on the loop-tube type thermoacoustic cooling system with used enlarged prime movers connected straight : Acoustical Society of Japan, Proceedings of Symposium on Ultrasonic Electronics, pp.1507–1508 (2014).
- Hasegawa S. . : Experimental evaluation of performance of double-loop thermoacoustic refrigerator driven by multistage thermoacoustic engines: Proceedings of ICEC 24-ICMC 2012, pp.391–394(2012).
- Hasegawa S. . : Thermal efficiency of a traveling-wave thermoacoustic engine using tapered tube, The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Proceedings of Symposium on Stirling Cycle 17th, No.14–58,pp.77–78 (2014).