This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Subcooled Flow Boiling on Engine Cooling Jacket with a Bubble Waiting Time Coefficient Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The objective of this present research is to investigate the influence of bubble waiting time coefficient on subcooled flow boiling heat transfer in internal combustion engines and propose an approach to predict its value. The three-dimension simulated cooling jacket structure of valve bridges for forced water-cooling system was developed respectively. The numerical model for subcooled flow boiling based on two-fluid approach was established and calculated. Numerical results suggest that the bubble departure diameter increases with the increasing wall superheat or decreasing inlet subcooling. And the proportion of the quenching heat flux gradually rises and its peak value is delayed along the direction of the higher wall superheat when the subcooling degree increases. The bubble waiting time coefficient has been found to have a significant impact upon the boiling heat transfer. A prediction model of bubble waiting time coefficient was presented with the verification of Abou-Ziyan’s experimental results. The two-phase subcooled flow boiling model with considering bubble waiting time coefficient may be well applicable to boiling simulation on engine cooling jacket. Finally, the modified boiling model can be used in the calculation of the boiling heat transfer of actual cylinder head. It clearly shows that the calculated temperature is more close to the experimental value with correction in boiling heat transfer area such as bridge zone of exhaust valve and injector nozzle. The maximum deviation of the experimental temperature decreases by 4.61%. While in the areas without boiling, the deviation changes a little with correction.
|Technical Paper||Prediction Tool for the Ion Current in SI Combustion|
|Technical Paper||Non-Isentropic Analysis of Branched Flow in Engine Ducting|
|Technical Paper||Ideal Computer Analysis of a Novel Engine Concept|
CitationDong, F., Hou, L., Xu, Z., and Cao, T., "Simulation of Subcooled Flow Boiling on Engine Cooling Jacket with a Bubble Waiting Time Coefficient Model," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0139, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0139.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Torregrosa, A. J., Broatch, A., Olmeda, P., and Cornejo, O., Experiments on Subcooled Flow Boiling in I.C, Engine-like Conditions at Low Flow Velocities, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 52, pp. 347–354, 2014.
- Li, Z., Huang, R., and Wang, Z., Subcooled Boiling Heat Transfer Modelling for Internal Combustion Engine Applications. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part D-Journal of Automobile Engineering, vol. 226, pp. 301–311, 2012.
- Abou-Ziyan, H. Z., Forced Convection and Subcooled Flow Boiling Heat Transfer in Asymmetrically Heated Ducts of T-section, Energy Conversion Management, vol. 45, no. 7–8, pp. 1043–1065, 2004.
- Robinson, K., Hawley, J. G., and Campbell, N. A. F., Experimental and Modelling Aspects of Flow Boiling Heat Transfer for Application to Internal Combustion Engines, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part D- Journal of Automobile Engineering, vol. 217, no. D10, pp. 877–889, 2003.
- Eggart, B. J., Boiling Detection in an Internal Combustion Engine Cooling System, Ph. D. thesis, Michigan Technological University, America, 2007.
- Ajotikar, N., Eggart, B. J., and Miers, S. A., Nucleate Boiling Identification and Utilization for Improved Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency, Proc. Fall Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division., SW Res Inst, San Antonio, TX, pp. 949–958, 2010.
- Hua, S., Huang, R., Li, Z., and Zhou, P., Experimental Study on the Heat Transfer Characteristics of Subcooled Flow Boiling with Cast Iron Heating Surface, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 77, pp. 180–191, 2015.
- Sarafraz, M. M., and Peyghambarzadeh, S. M., Experimental Study on Subcooled Flow Boiling Heat Transfer to Water-diethylene Glycol Mixtures as a Coolant Inside a Vertical Annulus, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 50, pp. 154–162, 2013.
- Lee, H., “Heat Transfer Predictions using the Chen Correlation on Subcooled Flow Boiling in a Standard IC Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1530, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1530.
- Cardone, M., Senatore, A., Buono, D., Polcino, M. ., “A Model for Application of Chen’s Boiling Correlation to a Standard Engine Cooling System,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1817, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1817.
- Pržulj, V., and Shala, M., Multi-phase Mixture Modelling of Nucleate Boiling Applied to Engine Coolant Flows, Computational Methods in Multiphase Flow V, vol. 63, pp. 135–146, 2009
- Srinivasan, V., Numerical Simulation of Flow Boiling of Binary Mixtures Using Multi-Fluid Modeling Approach, ASME 2011 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition., Denver, Colorado, USA, pp. 565–575, 2011.
- Mohamedi, B., Hanini, S., and Ararem, A., Simulation of Nucleate Boiling under ANSYS-FLUENT Code by Using RPI Model Coupling with Artificial Neural Networks, Nuclear Science & Techniques, vol. 040601, no. 26, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- Hua, S., Huang, R., and Zhou, P., Numerical Investigation of Two-phase Flow Characteristics of Subcooled Boiling in IC Engine Cooling Passages Using a New 3D Two-fluid Model, Applied Thermal Enginering, vol. 90, pp. 648–663, 2015.
- Zhang, R., Cong, T., Tian, W., Qiu, S., and Su, G., Effects of Turbulence Models on Forced Convection Subcooled Boiling in Vertical Pipe. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 80, pp. 293–302, 2015.
- Mikic, B.B., and Rohsenow, W. M., A New Correlation of Pool Boiling Data Including the Fact of Heating Surface Characteristics, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 91, pp. 245–250, 1969.
- Srinivasan, V., Moon, K., Greif, D., Wang, D. M., and Kim, M., Numerical Simulation of Immersion Quenching Process of an Engine Cylinder Head, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 34, pp. 2111–2128, 2010.
- Kurul, N., and Podowski, M. Z., On the Modeling of Multidimensional Effects in Boiling Channels, in: ANS Proc.27th National Heat Transfer Conference, Minneapolis, MN, July 28–31, 1991.
- Valle, V. H. D., and Kenning, D. B. R., Subcooled Flow Boiling at High Heat Flux, International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 28, pp. 1907–1920, 1985.
- Hahne, E., and Grigull, U., Heat Transfer in Boiling, in Influence of Flow Velocity on Surface Boiling Heat Transfer Coefficient, eds. Lemmert, M. and Chawla, J. M., pp. 237–247, Hemisphere, Washington, D.C., 1977.
- Rogers, J.T., and Li, J., Prediction of the onset of Significant Void in Flow Boiling of Water, ASME Journal Heat Transfer, vol. 116, pp. 1049–1053, 1994.
- Zeng, L.Z., Klausner, J. F., and Mei, R., A Unified Model for the Prediction of Bubble Detachment Diameters in Boiling Systems— I. Pool boiling. International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2261–2270, 1993.
- Kurul, N., and Podowski, M. Z., Multidimensional Effects in Forced Convection Subcooled Boiling, Proceedings of the Ninth International Heat Transfer Conference., Jerusalem, Israel, vol. 23, pp. 21–26, 1990.
- Anglart, H., and Nylund, O., CFD Application to Predict of Void Distribution in Two-phase Bubbly Flow in Rod Bundles. Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 81–98, 1996.
- Tu, J. Y., and Yeoh, G. H., Development of a Numerical Model for Subcooled Boiling Flow, Proc. Third International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries, CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia, vol. 25, pp. 559–567, 2003.
- Tu, J. Y., and Yeoh, G. H., On Numerical Modelling of Low-pressure Subcooled Boiling Flows, International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1197–1209, 2002.
- Dong, F., Guo, C., Fan, Q., Cai, Y., and Jiang, S. S., Simulation on Boiling Heat Transfer in Cooling Water Jacket of Engine, Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 76–82, 2011.
- Gu, F., Wu, H.J., Cui, G.Q., Subcooled Boiling Model Based on VOF Two-Phase Flow Method and Experimental Verification on Cylinder Head, Transactions of CSICE, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 372–376, 2014.