This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ADAS Feature Concepts Development Framework via a Low Cost RC Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
ADAS features development involves multidisciplinary technical fields, as well as extensive variety of different sensors and actuators, therefore the early design process requires much more resources and time to collaborate and implement. This paper will demonstrate an alternative way of developing prototype ADAS concept features by using remote control car with low cost hobby type of controllers, such as Arduino Due and Raspberry Pi. Camera and a one-beam type Lidar are implemented together with Raspberry Pi. OpenCV free open source software is also used for developing lane detection and object recognition. In this paper, we demonstrate that low cost frame work can be used for the high level concept algorithm architecture, development, and potential operation, as well as high level base testing of various features and functionalities. The developed RC vehicle can be used as a prototype of the early design phase as well as a functional safety testing bench. The paper will also discuss the feature development at the concept phase, as well as the potential implementation of concepts into the conventional vehicle applications.
This paper proposes a low cost, unique and practical control framework for quick development of ADAS related concepts. The proposed frame work could also be used for testing and validation of various prototype features.
- Ankit Goila - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Ambarish Desai - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Feng Dang - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Jian Dong - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Rahul Shetty - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Rakesh Babu Kailasa - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Mahdi Heydari - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Yang Wang - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Yue Sun - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Manikanta Jonnalagadda - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Mohammed Alhasan - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Hanlong Yang - AVL Powertrain Engineering Inc
- Katherine R. Lastoskie - University of Michigan
CitationGoila, A., Desai, A., Dang, F., Dong, J. et al., "ADAS Feature Concepts Development Framework via a Low Cost RC Car," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0116, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0116.
- Lu Guangqian, “A Lane Detection, Tracking and Recognition System for Smart Vehicles”, University of Ottawa, 2015.
- Canny, J., “A Computational Approach To Edge Detection”, IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 8(6):679698, 1986.
- Duda, R. O. and Hart P. E., “Use of the Hough Transformation to Detect Lines and Curves in Pictures”, Comm. ACM, Vol. 15, pp. 1115 January, 1972.
- Hough, P.V.C. “Method and means for recognizing complex patterns”, U.S. Patent 3,069,654, Dec. 18, 1962.
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/
- 8MP Camera Module: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module-v2/
- OpenCV: http://opencv.org/ OpenMP: http://openmp.org/wp/
- Installing OpenCV on Raspberry Pi: http://www.pyimagesearch.com/2015/10/26/how-to-install-opencv-3-on-raspbian-jessie/
- Connecting Arduino and Raspberry Pi using serial GPIO: https://oscarliang.com/raspberry-pi-and-arduino-connected-serial-gpio/