This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Cruise Controller Based on Current Road Load Information with Integrated Control of Variable Velocity Set-Point and Gear Shifting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Road topography has a remarkable impact on vehicle fuel consumption for both passenger and heavy duty vehicles. In addition, erroneous or non-optimized scheduling of both velocity set-point and gear shifting may be detrimental for fuel consumption and performance. Recent technologies have made road data, such as elevation or slope, either available or measurable on board, thus making possible the exploitation of this additional information in innovative controllers.
The aim of this paper is the development of a smart, fuel-economy oriented controller adapting cruising speed and engaged gear to current road load (i.e. local slope). Unlike traditional cruise controllers, the velocity set-point is not constant, but it is set by applying a mathematical transformation of the current slope, accounting for the mission time duration as well. A smart shifting logic operation has also been implemented according to the following rules: i) avoid excessive shifting; ii) choose suitable gear to deal with road load while iii) respecting engine operation constraints and iv) keep the engine speed in its maximum efficiency range. Furthermore, in order to enhance fuel economy, the opportunity to decouple the engine from the driveline (i.e. using the neutral gear), when resistant load is below a given threshold, has been explored.
The proposed controller is assessed in terms of both fuel savings and travel time through an exhaustive simulation analysis carried out for a heavy duty truck running on different test routes and for multiple payload configurations.
CitationD'Amato, A., Donatantonio, F., Arsie, I., and Pianese, C., "Development of a Cruise Controller Based on Current Road Load Information with Integrated Control of Variable Velocity Set-Point and Gear Shifting," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0089, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0089.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Corrêa, F. C. Eckert, J. J. Silva, L. C. A. Costa, E. S. Santiciolli F. M., and Dedini F. G.. Gear shifting strategy to improve the parallel hybrid vehicle fuel consumption. pages 1–6, Oct 2015
- Eckert, J. J. Corrêa, F. C. Santiciolli, F. M. Costa, E. S. Dionísio H. J., and Dedini F. G.. Gear Shifting Strategies Co-simulations to Optimize Vehicle Performance and Fuel Consumption, pages 143–152. Springer International Publishing, 2015
- Eckert, J., Santiciolli, F., Costa, E., de Alkmin e Silva, L. , "Fuel Consumption Reduction Based on the Optimization of the Vehicle Gear Shifting Strategy Considering New Gear Ratios," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0136, 2015, 10.4271/2015-36-0136
- Kahlbau S. and Bestle D.. Optimal shift control for automatic transmission#. Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, 41(3):259–273, 2013
- Li, S. Guo, Q. Xin, L. Cheng B., and Li K.. Fuel-saving servo-loop control for adaptive cruise control system of road vehicles with step-gear transmission. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, (99):1–1, 2016
- Ngo, V. D. Navarrete, J. C. A. Hofman, T. Steinbuch M., and Serrarens A.. Optimal gear shift strategies for fuel economy and driveability. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2013
- Ngo, V. D. Hofman, T. Steinbuch, M. Serrarens A., and Merkx L.. Improvement of fuel economy in power-shift automated manual transmission through shift strategy optimization - an experimental study. In 2010 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pages1–5, Sept 2010
- Gao, B. Liang, Q. Xiang, Y. Guo L., and Chen H.. Gear ratio optimization and shift control of 2-speed i-amt in electric vehicle. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 5051:615 631, 2015
- Feng Y.Zhao, X. Zhang W. and Yang Y.. Optimizing gear shifting strategy for off-road vehicle with dynamic programming. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014
- Arsie, I. Graziosi, M. Pianese, C. Rizzo G., and Sorrentino M.. Control strategy optimization for hybrid electric vehicles via provisional load estimate. Review of Automotive Engineering, 26(3), 2005
- Guo, L. Gao B., and Chen H.. On-line shift schedule optimization of 2-speed electric vehicle using moving horizon strategy. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, (99): 1–1, 2016
- Sakaguchi, S. Sakai I., and Haga T.. Application of fuzzy logic to shift scheduling method for automatic transmission. In Fuzzy Systems, 1993., Second IEEE International Conference on, pages 52–58 vol.1, 1993
- Kil S. H. and Park G. T.. Compensation algorithm for automobile shift pattern using fuzzy reasoning. Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, 4(3):32–48, 1994
- Mashadi B. and Baghaei Lakeh R.. Fuel economy improvement based on a many-gear shifting strategy. International Journal of Energy and Environment, 3(4): 577–590, 2012
- Hayashi, K. Shimizu, Y. Nakamura, S. Dote, Y. Takayama A., and Hirako A.. Neuro fuzzy optimal transmission control for automobile with variable loads. In Industrial Electronics, Control, and Instrumentation, 1993. Proceedings of the IECON ’93., International Conference on, pages 430–434 vol. 1, Nov 1993
- Ha S. H. and Jeon H. T.. Development of intelligent gear-shifting map based on radial basis function neural networks. International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, 1:116–123, 2013
- Zhu Z. and Xu C.. Experimental study on intelligent gear-shifting control system of construction vehicle based on chaotic neural network. Nature and Science, 1(1):86–90, 2003
- Vagg, C.Brace, C. J.Wijetunge R.Akehurst, S.Ash, L.. Development of a new method to assess fuel saving using gear shift indicators. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 226(12):1630–1639, 2012
- Guan T. and Frey C. W.. Fuel efficiency driver assistance system for manufacturer independent solutions. In 2012 15th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pages212–217, Sept 2012
- Casavola, A. Prodi G., and Rocca G.. Efficient gear shifting strategies for green driving policies. In Proceedings of the 2010 American Control Conference, pages4331–4336, June 2010
- Santin, O., Pekar, J., Beran, J., D’Amato, A. , "Cruise Controller with Fuel Optimization Based on Adaptive Nonlinear Predictive Control," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst. 9(2):262–274, 2016, 10.4271/2016-01-0155
- Santiciolli, F. M. dos Santos Costa, E. Eckert, J. J. Dionísio, H. J. de Alkmin, L. C. and Dedini F. G.. Multiobjective gear shifting optimization considering a known driving cycle. Acta Scientiarum. Technology, 37(3):361–369, 2015
- Ozatay, E. Onori, S. Wollaeger, J. Ozguner, U. Rizzoni, G. Filev, D. Michelini, J. and Di Cairano S.. Cloud-based velocity profile optimization for everyday driving: A dynamic-programming-based solution. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 15(6): 2491–2505, 2014
- Hellström, E., Fröberg, A., and Nielsen, L., "A Real-Time Fuel-Optimal Cruise Controller for Heavy Trucks Using Road Topography Information," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0008, 2006, 10.4271/2006-01-0008
- Hellström, E. Ivarsson, M. Aslund, J. and Nielsen L.. Look-ahead control for heavy trucks to minimize trip time and fuel consumption. Control Engineering Practice, 17 (2):245–254, 2009
- Hellström, E. Aslund, J. and Nielsen L.. Design of an efficient algorithm for fuel-optimal look-ahead control. Control Engineering Practice, 18(11):1318–1327, 2010
- Passenberg, B. Kock, P. and Stursberg S.. Combined time and fuel optimal driving of trucks based on a hybrid model. In Control Conference (ECC), 2009 European, pages4955–4960, Aug 2009
- Fröberg, A. Nielsen, L. Hedström, L. and Pettersson M.. Controlling gear engagement and disengagement on heavy trucks for minimization of fuel consumption. IFAC Proceedings, 38(1):7 – 12, 2005 16th IFAC World Congress.
- Eriksson, L. Larsson, A. and Thomasson A.. The AAC2016 Benchmark - Look-Ahead Control of Heavy Duty Trucks on Open Roads49(11):121 – 127, 2016 8th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control AAC 2016 – Norrkping, Sweden, 20–23 June 2016.
- Wahlström, J. andEriksson L.. Modelling diesel engines with a variable-geometry turbocharger and exhaust gas recirculation by optimization of model parameters for capturing non-linear system dynamics. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 225(7):960–986, 2011
- Eriksson L.. Simulation of a vehicle in longitudinal motion with clutch lock and clutch release. Vehicular Systems, ISY Linköping Institute of Technology, Linköping, 2001 Advances in Automotive Control 2001. Proceedings of the 3rd IFAC Workshop
- Ivarsson, M., Åslund, J., and Nielsen, L., "Impacts of AMT Gear-Shifting on Fuel Optimal Look Ahead Control," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0370, 2010, 10.4271/2010-01-0370