This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Towards Video Sharing in Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure for Road Safety
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Current implementations of vision-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) are largely dependent on real-time vehicle camera data along with other sensory data available on-board such as radar, ultrasonic, and GPS data. This data, when accurately reported and processed, helps the vehicle avoid collisions using established ADAS applications such as Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA), Autonomous Cruise Control (ACC), Pedestrian Detection, etc. Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) and Vehicle to Infrastructure (V2I) over Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) provides basic sensory data from other vehicles or roadside infrastructure including position information of surrounding traffic. Exchanging rich data such as vision data between multiple vehicles, and between vehicles and infrastructure provides a unique opportunity to advance driver assistance applications and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). A primary example is to receive vision data from the vehicle ahead while approaching a busy intersection and then to use this as a priori data in a pedestrian detection algorithm to reach decisions with higher degree of confidence when the vehicle arrives at the intersection. While the possibility of improving ADAS applications utilizing V2V and V2I seems obvious, it is still currently unclear as to what extent. This paper explores the potential for utilizing V2V and V2I communication concepts to advance vision-based ADAS. Three use cases are discussed in terms of feasibility and viability.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Active Safety Systems Terms & Definitions|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Definitions and Data Sources for the Driver Vehicle Interface (DVI)|
CitationHorani, M., Al-Refai, G., and Rawashdeh, O., "Towards Video Sharing in Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure for Road Safety," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0076, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0076.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Aponso , Achala Chathuranga , and Naomi Krishnarajah Review on state of art image enhancement and restoration methods for a vision based driver assistance system with De-weathering Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition (SoCPaR), 2011 International Conference of. IEEE 2011
- Youngtae , and Jo , Ryu Seungki Pothole detection system using a black-box camera Sensors 15.11 2015 29316 29331
- Belyaev , Evgeny, et al. Robust vehicle-to-infrastructure video transmission for road surveillance applications IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 64.7 2015 2991 3003
- David , Geronimo , et al. Survey of pedestrian detection for advanced driver assistance systems IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence 32.7 2010 1239 1258
- Dalal , Navneet , and Bill Triggs . Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'05) 1 2005
- Molin , David . Pedestrian Detection Using Convolutional Neural Networks 2015