This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Display System for Vehicle to Pedestrian Communication
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the future, autonomous vehicles will be realized. It is assumed that traffic accidents will be caused by the overconfidence to the autonomous driving system and the lack of communication between the vehicle and the pedestrian. We propose that one of the solutions is a display system to give the information the state of vehicle to pedestrians. In this paper, we studied how the information influences the motion of pedestrians. The vehicle gives the information, which is displayed on road by using of color light (red, yellow and blue), of the collision risk determined by the TTC (Time to Collision). The pedestrian is ordered to cross the road in several cases of the TTC. In the presence of the TTC information, the number of the pedestrians, who did not cross the road in the case of short TTC (red light is displayed), increased from 52% to 67%. It is cleared that the pedestrians determined whether they crossed the road or not by the information effectively. We found out that the reasons why the pedestrians crossed the road in case of short TTC were “can not perceive”, “can not understand the meaning”, and “ignore”. We will investigate more effective way of display to prevent traffic accidents.
CitationKitayama, S., Kondou, T., Ohyabu, H., Hirose, M. et al., "Display System for Vehicle to Pedestrian Communication," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0075, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0075.
- Zehang Sun , George Bebis , and Ronald Miller , Monocular Precrash Vehicle Detection:Features and Classifiers IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON IMAGE PROCESSING 15 7 July 2006 10.1109/TIP.2006.877062
- Tarak Gandhi , Mohan manubhai Trivedi , Pedestrian Protection Systems: Issues, Survey,and Challenges IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 8 3 Sept. 2007 10.1109/TITS.2007.903444
- Ardalan Vahidi , Azim Eskandarian , Research advances in intelligent collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 4 3 Sept 2003 10.1109/TITS.2003.821292
- John R. Treat , A study of precrash factors involved in traffic accidents HSRI Research Review 10 6 May-Aug 1980
- U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration TRAFFIC SAFETY FACTS, Crash/Stats, A Brief Statistical Summary DOT HS 812 115 2015
- Japan National Police Agency Traffic Bureau Status of Traffic Accidents in 2015 http://www.e-stat.go.jp/SG1/estat/List.do?lid=000001150496 Sept. 2016
- Survey Reveals Subaru Vehicles Equipped with EyeSight Had 60% Fewer Accidents in Japan http://www.fhi.co.jp/press/news-en/2016_01_26_1827/ FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES Ltd. 26 January 2016 Sept. 2016
- van Schijndel-de Nooij , Margriet Anna Schieben , Nick Ford , Mike McDonald , Definition of necessary vehicle and infrastructure systems for Automated Driving SMART – 2010/0064 29 June 2011
- Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) Communications for Safety http://www.its.dot.gov/factsheets/pdf/CV_V2Pcomms.pdf United States Department of Transportation Sept. 2016
- Wu , X ., Miucic , R. , Yang , S. , Al-Stouhi , S. , Misener , J. , Bai , S. , and Chan , H. W. , Vehicles Talk to Phones: A DSRC Based Vehicle-Pedestrian Safety System Proceedings of the Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC Fall 1 7 2014 10.1109/VTCFall.2014.6965898
- Tahmasbi-Sarvestani , A. , Kazemi , H. , Fallah , Y. , Naserian , M. et al. System Architecture for Cooperative Vehicle-Pedestrian Safety Applications Using DSRC Communication SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0290 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0290
- Sugimoto , Chika Nakamura , Yasuhisa and Hashimoto , Takuya Prototype of pedestrian-to-vehicle communication system for the prevention of pedestrian accidents using both 3g wireless and wlan communication 3rd International Symposium on Wireless Pervasive Computing, 2008. IEEE, 2008 764 767 02 July 2008 10.1109/ISWPC.2008.4556313
- Javier Anaya1 , Jos'e Merdrignac , Pierre Vehicle to Pedestrian Communications for Protection of Vulnerable Road Users 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 1 6 2014 19 May 2014