This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Architecture of iBus: A Self-Driving Bus for Public Roads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Safety of buses is crucial because of the large proportion of the public transportation sector they constitute. To improve bus safety levels, especially to avoid driver error, which is a key factor in traffic accidents, we designed and implemented an intelligent bus called iBus. A robust system architecture is crucial to iBus. Thus, in this paper, a novel self-driving system architecture with improved robustness, such as to failure of hardware (including sensors and controllers), is proposed. Unlike other self-driving vehicles that operate either in manual driving mode or in self-driving mode, iBus offers a dual-control mode. More specifically, an online hot standby mechanism is incorporated to enhance the reliability of the control system, and a software monitor is implemented to ensure that all software modules function appropriately. The results of real-world road tests conducted to validate the feasibility of the overall system confirm that iBus is reliable and robust.
CitationHan, W., Zhang, X., Yin, J., Li, Y. et al., "Architecture of iBus: A Self-Driving Bus for Public Roads," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0067, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0067.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Waymo https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/ 2017 1 12
- Volvo autopilot http://www.volvocars.com/au/about/innovations/intellisafe/autopilot/ 2016 9 1
- Tesla Motors: Model S Press Kit https://www.tesla.com/presskit/autopilot#models 2016 9 1
- Ziegler J. , Bender P. , Schreiber M. , Lategahn H. , Strauss T. , Stiller C. , Dang T. , Franke U. , Appenrodt N. , Keller C. G. et al. Making Bertha drive—An autonomous journey on a historic route IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine 6 2 8 20 2014
- Mercedes-Benz’s semi-autonomous bus just passed its first major test http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/19/12222898/mercedes-autonomous-bus-long-range-test/ 2016 9 1
- Self-driving buses are now on the road in Helsinki http://www.curbed.com/2016/8/31/12691516/self-driving-bus-vehicles-finland-helsinki-transportation/ 2016 9 1
- Singh S. Critical reasons for crashes investigated in the national motor vehicle crash causation survey U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Report No. DOT HS 812 115 2015
- Three Laws of Robotics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics 2016 9 1
- Gao Y. , Lin T. , Borrelli F. , Tseng E. , and Hrovat D. Predictive control of autonomous ground vehicles with obstacle avoidance on slippery roads ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference 2010
- Beal C. E. and Gerdes J. C. Model predictive control for vehicle stabilization at the limits of handling IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 21 4 1258 1269 2013
- Carvalho A. , Gao Y. , Gray A. , Tseng H. E. , and Borrelli F. Predictive control of an autonomous ground vehicle using an iterative linearization approach Proceedings of the 16th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2013) 2335 2340 2013