This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Changing Habits to Improve Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years we have witnessed increased discrepancy between fuel economy numbers reported in accordance with EPA testing procedures and real world fuel economy reported by drivers. The debates range from needs for new testing procedures to the fact that driver complaints create one-sided distribution; drivers that get better fuel economy do not complain about the fuel economy, but only the ones whose fuel economy falls short of expectations. In this paper, we demonstrate fuel economy improvements that can be obtained if the driver is properly sophisticated in the skill of driving.
Implementation of SmartGauge with EcoGuide into the Ford C-MAX Hybrid in 2013 helped drivers improve their fuel economy on hybrid vehicles. Further development of this idea led to the EcoCoach that would be implemented into all future Ford vehicles. The EcoCoach is integrated feature of intelligent coaching algorithm with intuitive and appealing visual feedback of the driving performance in an engaging, instructive, and motivating manner.
The EcoCoach’s effectiveness has been evaluated by a sample of drivers in three locations in the US and Germany. Each driver completed a baseline route without coaching followed by a route with coaching. Overall fuel economy improvement is evident, while fuel economy spread across the drivers is reduced. That can be interpreted as convergence of driving styles toward optimal fuel consumption driving.
CitationStout, C., Milacic, M., Syed, F., and Kuang, M., "Changing Habits to Improve Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0038, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0038.
- Difference Engine: Your mileage may vary The Economist 2013
- US Department of Energy, September 2014 [Online] www.fueleconomy.gov
- Nedelea , A June 2014 [Online] www.carscoops.com
- Gearino , D May 2014 [Online] www.dispatch.com
- Plungis , J Hyundai, Kia Pay Fine, Lose Credits Over Mileage Claims November 2014 [Online]
- Cars.com November 2012 [Online] www.cars.com
- Gorondi , P 2008 May [Online] www.yahoo.com
- carscoops June 2012 http://www.carscoops.com/2012/06/ford-10-liter-ecoboost-wins-2012.html
- Archer , G Makers of German gas-guzzling cars cheat fuel-economy tests more than all others June 2013 http://www.Transportenvironment.org/
- Mack , B April 2009 [Online] http://www.wired.com/2009/04/ford-hybrid-goes-1445-miles-on-one-tank/
- Witzenburg , G Ford 2.5L I-4 Hybrid: Unprecedented Efficiency, Refinement 25 June 2010 [Online] WardsAuto.com
- Martinez , M Michigan gas costs soar to nation's 2nd highest 2013
- Bruce , C June 2014 [Online] http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/26/ford-1-liter-international-engine-year-threepeat/